Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
If we're talking 3-4 years I don't think there's any question that there will be more goalies in that AAV range. Hart, Demko, Samsonov etc. are RFA the year after next, and unless they all sign sweetheart bridge deals I'd imagine they'll be well established by then to earn big paydays.

In the meantime, I could see Holtby and Rask getting somewhat close to that number. Binnington is on his way to a big contract. Rinne, Lehner, Grubauer, Greiss etc are coming up in the next couple years as well. Those guys won't all make 9.5 mil of course, but in terms of market value there will be some deals signed that make Vasy's look quite a bit better in the next couple summers alone.

Price and Bobrovsky both carry higher cap hits, and Lundqvist isn't far behind at 8.5. If those guys got paid what they did, I don't see how the next wave doesn't get up there in the next few years too.

This is delusional. None of those goalies is gonna get paid even close to Vasi except Rask. Maybe Holtby.

Seriously comparing Lehner or Greiss to three of the best goalies of the decade (in Lundqvidt case of the last 15 years)?

bov

Nov 13, 2010
This is delusional. None of those goalies is gonna get paid even close to Vasi except Rask. Maybe Holtby.

Seriously comparing Lehner or Greiss to three of the best goalies of the decade (in Lundqvidt case of the last 15 years)?

I did not say they are in Vasilievskiy's tier as a goalie nor that they will be commanding the same money.

My point is relative to market value, by the time they all hit free agency, Vasilevskiy's contract won't look bad at all is my point (and imo is fine right now).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Vasi has played his tenture on a much better Tampa Bay Lightning team overall.

Particularly the PP, where Vasy has better options when he catches teams on a change. Our pre-Richards PP was dysfunctional in every way.

It's amazing that we had most of the same pieces we have now, but our PP was among the worst in the league one of those years, if I remember correctly.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Particularly the PP, where Vasy has better options when he catches teams on a change. Our pre-Richards PP was dysfunctional in every way.

It's amazing that we had most of the same pieces we have now, but our PP was among the worst in the league one of those years, if I remember correctly.
To be fair it's not completely about the system. Stamkos was a ghost back then and Kucherov has still improved a lot. Brayden Point happened too.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
To be fair it's not completely about the system. Stamkos was a ghost back then and Kucherov has still improved a lot. Brayden Point happened too.

Definitely. But still. We were like 27th in the league most of one year, with a line up that did have Stamkos, Kucherov, and Hedman, even if they weren't what they are now.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Definitely. But still. We were like 27th in the league most of one year, with a line up that did have Stamkos, Kucherov, and Hedman, even if they weren't what they are now.
Yeah, not arguing that, we should've been among the league's best power play with the firepower we had. Just saying that even a blind sheep would run a successful power play with the players we have now.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Finally getting Stralman off the point and kicking Kucherov's habit of "one time passes" that no one expected and just getting him to calm down all but single-handedly fixed our PP

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
After 19 games played: Vas is 45th in save% and 44th in GAA among all NHL goalies.
Compared to goalies with at least 10 games played, he is 37th in save% and 39th in GAA.
Zero shutouts, two assists.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
At this point something is wrong is he hurt ? Because it’s unreal how he can be this bad this season?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
At this point something is wrong is he hurt ? Because it’s unreal how he can be this bad this season?
Is Bob hurt? Price? Rinne? Because they all have even worse Sv%. Goalies being pretty bad for no apparent reason isn't that rare.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I’m happy he is playing badly. Last year he hid so many of our problems. This year our guys will actually have to try to make the playoffs.

As long as he is back to form by playoffs of course.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I’m happy he is playing badly. Last year he hid so many of our problems. This year our guys will actually have to try to make the playoffs.

As long as he is back to form by playoffs of course.
Yeah, this season he's really exposing our problem - goaltending.

Reactions: Loki Dekker

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
We're not going to make the playoffs if he keeps being a sieve.
As good as Vasi is he needs defensive help. Last night the let two goals in that were all on him. The other three were lapses in play in front of him. The most glairing was Heddy attempting a poke check missing and then was out of position where the puck is pass to the slot and smoked past Vasi. Two goals scored just after we had scored because the team was I will call it lax on defense perhaps asleep would be a better word.

When this team scores 4 and three are from defensemen there is an issue. The problem IMO is the O is not good enough defensively to get back and cover for the defensemen that have activated into the offensive end. Heck we even gave up two shorthanded odd man rushes on one of our PP's.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
As good as Vasi is he needs defensive help. Last night the let two goals in that were all on him. The other three were lapses in play in front of him. The most glairing was Heddy attempting a poke check missing and then was out of position where the puck is pass to the slot and smoked past Vasi. Two goals scored just after we had scored because the team was I will call it lax on defense perhaps asleep would be a better word.

When this team scores 4 and three are from defensemen there is an issue. The problem IMO is the O is not good enough defensively to get back and cover for the defensemen that have activated into the offensive end. Heck we even gave up two shorthanded odd man rushes on one of our PP's.
*yawn*

He isn't good.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Yeah, this season he's really exposing our problem - goaltending.

There are teams in a playoff spot with worse goaltending than us. That shouldn’t be possible with the team we have on paper. So there are some clear problems with this team.

But if you want to choose the easy target in Vasy and completely ignore everything else then go ahead. Life is really easy when you don’t have to do any kind of critical thinking.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
There are teams in a playoff spot with worse goaltending than us. That shouldn’t be possible with the team we have on paper. So there are some clear problems with this team.

But if you want to choose the easy target in Vasy and completely ignore everything else then go ahead. Life is really easy when you don’t have to do any kind of critical thinking.
I don't know. I've watched 4 or 5 games this season. I was just trying to get some likes.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
*yawn*

He isn't good.
He has not been as good as last season for sure but whats the options? Have defense support him or make a move to bring in another tender because McElhinney is worse. I would prefer to try and give the guy support hes young and his confidence has to be in the toilet.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He has not been as good as last season for sure but whats the options? Have defense support him or make a move to bring in another tender because McElhinney is worse. I would prefer to try and give the guy support hes young and his confidence has to be in the toilet.
McBackup has been objectively better by every metric this season.

And his confidence better be in the toilet because if it's not we have a sociopath on our hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->