Rumor: Andrei Markov's Agent Has Contacted Habs (Looking for $2M Contract)

Do you want Markov back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Chelios was 47 in his last season. He played only 7 games though. But he played a full season at 45 and a third of a season at 46.

He finished at 48 years old and 41 days, 2nd oldest in NHL history (1st being Howe, obviously).

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It also means less chance for one of our young guys (i.e.: Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, Juulsen) making the starting night roster.

Not sure how you figure? Markov's inclusion would have zero impact on the forward group pole and zuki make it as starters or AHL not 13th forwards. Juulsen playing the right side is not affected at all. Brook is a long shot to crack the lineup and won't be a sitter either.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Not sure how you figure? Markov's inclusion would have zero impact on the forward group pole and zuki make it as starters or AHL not 13th forwards. Juulsen playing the right side is not affected at all. Brook is a long shot to crack the lineup and won't be a sitter either.

I'm suggesting that Markov taking the 23rd roster spot means we probably send the young guys down as opposed to risking getting someone else through waivers

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm pretty sure Montreal scouted Markov over the last couple of years and have a pretty solid idea if he can still contribute. My big question mark is if there's any bad blood between Bergevin and Markov that would prevent something from getting done.

I highly doubt they scouted him. He moved to KHL, considering how they postured up against him, I'm sure they were happy to turn the page as well. No reason for them to have scouted him, he was part of the team since his first season, they know fully well who Markov is/was.
They had no reason whatsoever to scout him. If they wanted him, they would have signed him.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
It’s a potential feel good story for a management team and team that needs it. Not harm in signing him for a low base salary with games played bonuses. Try to Get him to 1000 games and reassess from there

Reactions: pepperMonkey

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'd prefer not losing our young guys like last year (3 games of Pleks cost us DLR). If we grab Markov it's because we're banking on him playing 60+ games. 10 games at the expense of a 2017-18 Rookie who scored 30 points would be sad waste of an asset

Will De La Rose be a full-time player in the NHL this year?

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
I have to give credit where it's due:

Looking back, we can say that signing Markov would have been the better choice, because we had the cap space anyway. But I appreciate that our GM didn't make the decision based on, "he'll be overpaid in year #2; but oh well, we'll probably have the cap space anyway." One should always be anticipating that the future will be better; and therefore, putting one's self in the best position to take advantage of opportunities in the future.

Quotes from this article: Stu Cowan: Andrei Markov wants to play for the Canadiens again

Yeah instead that summer he signed a guy who is overpaid by 4.625 million a year for 5 years. I see how you can appreciate the cap frugality of MB with respect to not signing a better player for a shorter term in Markov. Makes complete sense.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

It's weird to see some of the "it doesn't cost anything we can bury him" guys saying signing Markov to a reasonable contract for 1 year would be a bad move because we are apparently all of a sudden rebuilding. But no signing Cousins, Thompson, Weal and 1 trillion other depth players well it's okay we can bury them.

I mean if there's one guy we should probably sign even if it would likely be a bad signing it's Markov. He wants to finish his career here. He did not want to play for another team. How many players loved the CH that much in the last 30 years? Can we respect that and let him finish his career here?

If Markov is okay with a 1 year contract at ~1 millions + bonus and if he's okay with not playing 82 games and being a depth guy then for **** sake sign him. I like what i saw of Kulak last year but i don't see the trouble with him (or Mete) having to sit between 10 and 20 games to ice Markov. Kulak is not the 2nd coming of Jesus guys. What we saw last year was a small sample size. Reilly looked just as good after we acquired him same for Benn.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I'd prefer not losing our young guys like last year (3 games of Pleks cost us DLR). If we grab Markov it's because we're banking on him playing 60+ games. 10 games at the expense of a 2017-18 Rookie who scored 30 points would be sad waste of an asset

Losing our young guys? :laugh: Everyone you listed is an expendable plug. As for signing Plekanec, he didn’t cost us anything. De La Rose was waiver fodder. Teams who were interested would’ve just waited or he would of been a regular in the press box.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's weird to see some of the "it doesn't cost anything we can bury him" guys saying signing Markov to a reasonable contract for 1 year would be a bad move because we are apparently all of a sudden rebuilding. But no signing Cousins, Thompson, Weal and 1 trillion other depth players well it's okay we can bury them.

This has been a summer of quantity over quality.

So much quantity in fact, that almost every new proposed move is dependent on Bergevin’s mortician abilities to bury someone.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This has been a summer of quantity over quality.

So much quantity in fact, that almost every new proposed move is dependent on Bergevin’s mortician abilities to bury someone.
MB is building the most expensive AHL team, and Money Mol$on is writing the cheques!! Signing guys, to bury in the AHL is some kind of new plan now? lol

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
That would be perfect, if someone can solve the PP problem, it's him.

Markov is unlikely to help your man advantage. 2 years ago (when they won the Championship) Ak Bar's PP was garbage without Tokranov running the point. And last year Postma and Yarullin were far more capable on the point than Markov.

Reactions: Acadien86

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Markov is unlikely to help your man advantage. 2 years ago (when they won the Championship) Ak Bar's PP was garbage without Tokranov running the point. And last year Postma and Yarullin were far more capable on the point than Markov.

Father Time catches up to everyone. Sad to hear Markov has regressed so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad