Rumor: Andrei Markov's Agent Has Contacted Habs (Looking for $2M Contract)

Do you want Markov back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Proof that Markov is better than Kulak?!! If you seriously think Kulak is better than Markov then this discussion is futile.

And for the last time, stop repeating things that make no sense. Nothing of significance happens between 38 and 40 to your body, it does NOT just shut down one morning on the day of your 40th birthday and suddenly you can't do what you were capable of doing 2 years ago.

"Make the NHL by 18, retire by 25 or you'll find yourself labeled a bust and old and decrepit, respectively." The classic HF line of thought.

I'm saying that he's probably not as good as 2 years ago because he's 40, but you give an example that if you don't retire at 25 yo, you are a bust and old. THAT'S a classic HF there. Taking a somewhat logical statement and turning it into the most absurd statement possible (How many 40 years old play in the NHL, because there should be an equal number of 40 and 38 yo, because your body doesn't change at that age. And how many players in history made a comeback in the NHL after 2 years away, at 40 yo?).

I'm ALL for a PTO. I said it a couple month ago when the 1st rumor about him wanting to play again started. But only a PTO until he prove he have a place, because NOBODY have seen him play at the NHL level in the last 2 years, and that's a fact. But you want to make fun of me because I think present Kulak is probably superior or at least even to present Markov (I'll add PRESENT, because you seem to think I'm comparing each players at their prime).

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I still wonder why we are speculating, let's give the man a shot and see ... geez the dude pass his whole NHL career with the team. PTO won't kill anyone here ...
We are going to have over 7 million in cap space once we send down Peca, Alzner and Weise. We can easily give him a 1 year contract with bonuses if he performs well. Otherwise, we can just give him the Plekanec treatment.

Doxinoctae

Dec 16, 2018
We are going to have over 7 million in cap space once we send down Peca, Alzner and Weise. We can easily give him a 1 year contract with bonuses if he performs well. Otherwise, we can just give him the Plekanec treatment.
exactly we are misleading ourselves with all those gibberish speculations about his health and stamina status ...

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Now, just imagine how bad management looks if, by some freak of nature, Markov comes in with a chip on his shoulder thinking he has something to prove and actually plays lights out?

Not sure MON management wants to look bad over that one, especially since Markov wouldn't be a longer term solution. He'd just be an admission of having made a mistake if he plays well enough.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I would agree with the Plekanec treatment. To show Mtl management have class. But that's about it.
Would he accept limited ice time? Not sure. Would he be a good communicator to mentor the youngs? No. Would he be the best left D to pair with Weber? I think no. Would he be a distraction with the melo-drama around his status and ice time? Yes.
I think he's done as a good player in the nhl level. The new nhl have too much speed and he is already average in the khl. It's sad to say but to be realistic I would pass on him.
Anyway, he wants to come back in the nhl, let's see if any other team will make him an offer. Other nhl teams could have him two years ago and nobody gave him a chance.
And he did bash Mtl management in his interviews 2 years ago, nhl teams knows it and they don't like that attitude.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I would agree with the Plekanec treatment. To show Mtl management have class. But that's about it.
Would he accept limited ice time? Not sure. Would he be a good communicator to mentor the youngs? No. Would he be the best left D to pair with Weber? I think no. Would he be a distraction with the melo-drama around his status and ice time? Yes.
I think he's done as a good player in the nhl level. The new nhl have too much speed and he is already average in the khl. It's sad to say but to be realistic I would pass on him.
Anyway, he wants to come back in the nhl, let's see if any other team will make him an offer. Other nhl teams could have him two years ago and nobody gave him a chance.
And he did bash Mtl management in his interviews 2 years ago, nhl teams knows it and they don't like that attitude.
Err, unless I'm mistaken he refused to even think about joining another team. It was the Habs or no one (in the NHL).
Besides, do you really think no teams would have been interested in a veteran, past all-star Markov 2 years ago after having 36pts in 62 games? Sure, may not want to give him an 10 year contract but no one would even give him a passing glance for a shorter contract?

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Err, unless I'm mistaken he refused to even think about joining another team. It was the Habs or no one (in the NHL).
Besides, do you really think no teams would have been interested in a veteran, past all-star Markov 2 years ago after having 36pts in 62 games? Sure, may not want to give him an 10 year contract but no one would even give him a passing glance for a shorter contract?
Why did he decided to play in khl? Why did any team took contact with his agent to offer him what he wants, a 2 year contract. There is some mystery around that and nobody can tell the truth unless he have some real infos from inside.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Now, just imagine how bad management looks if, by some freak of nature, Markov comes in with a chip on his shoulder thinking he has something to prove and actually plays lights out?

Not sure MON management wants to look bad over that one, especially since Markov wouldn't be a longer term solution. He'd just be an admission of having made a mistake if he plays well enough.
Our GM has looked like a clown for 4-5 years now....doesn't seem to bother him or his owner at all.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Markov would be a short term solution. It's not a win-win thing, it's a loose-loose thing.
Playing Markov vs the best opponents would avoid a young D to take nhl experience and I don't think he would be good enough to help us win a Cup. So why not give that ice time to a young to developp?

Reactions: 26Mats

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Montreal's management looks bad already. This might actually save face a little

He needs a few games to 1,000. He's bad, they mutually agree to end his contract and he'll have reached 1,000 games.

He's good, maybe he can teach Mete, improve his game offensively and give him a few tips on how to handle the bigger guys when you're smaller.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Markov would be a short term solution. It's not a win-win thing, it's a loose-loose thing.
Playing Markov vs the best opponents would avoid a young D to take nhl experience and I don't think he would be good enough to help us win a Cup. So why not give that ice time to a young to developp?

It comes down to whether Juulsen would benefit from time in Laval. He's missed a lot of hockey.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Montreal's management looks bad already. This might actually save face a little

He needs a few games to 1,000. He's bad, they mutually agree to end his contract and he'll have reached 1,000 games.

He's good, maybe he can teach Mete, improve his game offensively and give him a few tips on how to handle the bigger guys when you're smaller.
Would Markov accept the Plekanec treatment? Play his 1000 th game and bye-bye? Or very limited ice time ?
I don't think so. If Markov is angry and opens his mouth to a russian journalist, the melo-drama will start again and I think it's the last thing a serious team wants, especially when they are close to a rebuilding with a new core of young players. A distraction nobody wants.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Why did he decided to play in khl? Why did any team took contact with his agent to offer him what he wants, a 2 year contract. There is some mystery around that and nobody can tell the truth unless he have some real infos from inside.
Markov said outright/publically that he doesn't want to play for any NHL team other than the Habs. There is no mystery.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If MB had been GM for another team he would have signed Markov in a heartbeat. He has made countless signings of that nature . He is the king pf those deals.
Stop in at MBs office for a deal on your way to retirement. Then go retire.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Markov said outright/publically that he doesn't want to play for any NHL team other than the Habs. There is no mystery.
The thing is : I don't beleive what was said at that time in the medias.
Same when Radu didn't sign with us or when Kovy missed the call from MB and signed with the Sens. They invented an excuse, by consentual agreement to avoid a melo-drama story. But that's just my opinion, that wasn't the official story of course. Now publicly Markov said he would prefer signing with the Habs but is open to other teams. We'll see, ... or Weal see, lol.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
If MB had been GM for another team he would have signed Markov in a heartbeat. He has made countless signings of that nature . He is the king pf those deals. Stop on at MBs office for a deal on your way to retirement. Then go retire.
I agree. There is countless signings of that nature. Same with Gainey and Houle before.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If MB had been GM for another team he would have signed Markov in a heartbeat. He has made countless signings of that nature . He is the king pf those deals. Stop on at MBs office for a deal on your way to retirement. Then go retire.
They are not going to sign Markov as long as Julien is the coach. Bergevin let Radulov walk and he was our most talented player, it's not going to happen. We can toss 7-8 million a year in guys that we can bury in the minors but we can't do the right thing and sign Markov for 1 year. There is no risk and if Markov is wanting to come back to the NHL and he can't keep up with the speed of the game, is it the habs that look bad? Markov would not come back if he didn't think he could do it. If Karl Alzner is worth 5 million a year in Bergevin's eyes, signing Markov for one year should be automatic. What if he is afraid that Markov might still be one of our best defencemen?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They are not going to sign Markov as long as Julien is the coach. Bergevin let Radulov walk and he was our most talented player, it's not going to happen. We can toss 7-8 million a year in guys that we can bury in the minors but we can't do the right thing and sign Markov for 1 year. There is no risk and if Markov is wanting to come back to the NHL and he can't keep up with the speed of the game, is it the habs that look bad? Markov would not come back if he didn't think he could do it. If Karl Alzner is worth 5 million a year in Bergevin's eyes, signing Markov for one year should be automatic. What if he is afraid that Markov might still be one of our best defencemen?

I would have thought that they're not going to sign Markov on account of some kind of warped relationship with Bergevin and his alpha maleness, not Julien.

I mean, on his last season with the Habs, Julien used Markov and even overused him -- didn't look like he didn't like the player at all.

Are you linking the rumored dislike by Julien when it comes to Russians? I'm not even sure if it really exists.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I would have thought that they're not going to sign Markov on account of some kind of warped relationship with Bergevin and his alpha maleness, not Julien.

I mean, on his last season with the Habs, Julien used Markov and even overused him -- didn't look like he didn't like the player at all.

Are you linking the rumored dislike by Julien when it comes to Russians? I'm not even sure if it really exists.
We got rid of/lost every Russian player in two years and it was rumored that both Bergevin and Julien were upset about the "Russians" playing cards and laughing on the plane ride back from MSG. They did not exactly treat Markov in a respectful manner in contract negotiations either, with him being 10 games away from 1000 and being a very loyal player to this franchise and one of the leagues better defenders during most of his time here, I am suspicious as to why he was treated this way.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Why on Earth would you think he couldn't be a good mentor for young guys?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Well not having Markov was pretty much the reason Mete made the team 2 years ago and was thrust into a the role he had. Yet he still hasn't scored a goal in the NHL, and last year had to be sent back to the AHL to find his game. There's a very strong case that he was hurt by being rushed to the NHL and his development would've been better served spending more time in the OHL and AHL refining his offensive game.

JSR 56

Dec 18, 2017
Montreal
Sure, we can't offer Markov a PTO because of the children but then please explain to me the revolving door of bottom pairing D and forwards

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sure, we can't offer Markov a PTO because of the children but then please explain to me the revolving door of bottom pairing D and forwards

The annual carousel of bottom players is just Bergevin being Bergevin.

He’s looking for the next Byron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad