Rumor: Andrei Markov wants to return to the NHL next season, preferably with the Canadiens

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
By the end his play level was sheltered 3rd pairing guy at best (hasn't exactly proved otherwise in the KHL). It looks like it's going to take a while for this myth to die since it fits in so nicely with both the greater anti-Bergevin narrative and the side angle conspiracy that the Russophile contingent of Habs' fans have cooked up that Bergevin hates Russians. Anyway back in reality, in 2017 Weber was totally carrying him and even then his weak play on the left side was being exposed & targetted hard especially in the playoffs. He was also 38 years old then, how exactly was this rebound happening?

He could have been brought back for some sheltered 3rd pairing spot but his ask was $5-7+ million like he was was still in 2009 form. When Bergevin said that's too much he got pissy about the "disrespect", folded it all up and ran off to Russia (lesson here is hire the agent next time Andrei, face to face negotiations get way too personal for most people).

I wish we had a 3rd pairing defenseman that played 23-25 mins a game...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
By the end his play level was sheltered 3rd pairing guy at best (hasn't exactly proved otherwise in the KHL). It looks like it's going to take a while for this myth to die since it fits in so nicely with both the greater anti-Bergevin narrative and the side angle conspiracy that the Russophile contingent of Habs' fans have cooked up that Bergevin hates Russians. Anyway back in reality, in 2017 Weber was totally carrying him and even then his weak play on the left side was being exposed & targetted hard especially in the playoffs. He was also 38 years old then, how exactly was this rebound happening?

He could have been brought back for some sheltered 3rd pairing spot but his ask was $5-7+ million like he was was still in 2009 form. When Bergevin said that's too much he got pissy about the "disrespect", folded it all up and ran off to Russia (lesson here is hire the agent next time Andrei, face to face negotiations get way too personal for most people).
Welp. Lol. Thats just a bunch of lies. He was just as good as Weber in his last season. The fact he got burned by faster player doesnt make him bad, just like it doesnt make Weber bad.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

There's so much made up bullshit in this post that I don't know where to begin.

PuckinFilet06

Jul 28, 2019
There's so much made up bull**** in this post that I don't know where to begin.
Honnestly he did sum it up. Don't think he was looking for 5-7Mil, but his left side was being exposed big time. He was done. He'll always be one of my favorite players. He was so good and I do miss him. But he was done that year.

Reactions: Habby4Life

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

This should help shed additional light on where Markov is really at.

Bob Hartley has been coaching in Russia and has seen Markov regularly in the past two seasons and had this to say:

Hartley affirme qu'il ne croit pas que Markov ait encore ce qu'il faut pour jouer sur une base régulière dans la LNH. C'est donc dire que celui qui était déjà en perte de vitesse lors de sa dernière année à Montréal a continué de ralentir durant ses deux dernières saisons dans la KHL et tout indique que son intelligence sur la patinoire n'est plus suffisante pour compenser l'âge qui le rattrape maintenant.

Bob Hartley se prononce sur un possible retour d'Andrei Markov!

TRANSLATION: Hartley doesn't believe that Markov still has what it takes to be a regular in the NHL. In other words, Markov who was already slowing down on his last season as a Hab has only continued to slow even more during his last two KHL seasons and everything points to his hockey IQ no longer being enough to compensate for how his age is catching up to him.

Markov will turn 41 before the start of next season.

Last edited:

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Honnestly he did sum it up. Don't think he was looking for 5-7Mil, but his left side was being exposed big time. He was done. He'll always be one of my favorite players. He was so good and I do miss him. But he was done that year.
Not quite. There's a lot of fiction in that post.
Markov slowed down, yes. To say he was carried by Weber is absolute fabrication, Weber isn't any faster than Markov.

He played 23+ minutes a game against the opposition's best players, he was never close to being a sheltered 3rd pairing defenseman.

There is no anti-Bergevin Russian conspiracy. Bergevin IS a moron and he did get rid of every Russian we had on the team.

He didn't get "prissy" and packed up and left for the KHL because he didn't want to be a 3rd pairing sheltered defenseman.

He didn't ask for 7+mil.

He didn't feel disrespected because Bergevin wouldn't agree to 7+mil. Bergevin was a disrespectful prick by his own admission. He told Markov and Radulov he had room for one of them, whomever signs first. Take or leave it contract. He said he told them that, no one is making it up.

When Markov said he is willing to accept a 1 year contract, Bergevin wouldn't respond. He later blamed Markov for not having an agent, making it difficult to talk to him.

So among that pile of horse manure in that post the only truth was Markov was slowing down and our left side was targeted because of it.

You want to argue Markov is finished, too slow, by all means do so. But making shit up and presenting them as facts to support your argument isn't going to fly.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Markov prefers Canadiens return; agent says multiple teams calling - Sportsnet.ca

A few team are calling, Markov is ok going one season contract at a time.

7IRsQZ6.png

Reactions: LeHab

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Not quite. There's a lot of fiction in that post.
Markov slowed down, yes. To say he was carried by Weber is absolute fabrication, Weber isn't any faster than Markov.

He played 23+ minutes a game against the opposition's best players, he was never close to being a sheltered 3rd pairing defenseman.

There is no anti-Bergevin Russian conspiracy. Bergevin IS a moron and he did get rid of every Russian we had on the team.

He didn't get "prissy" and packed up and left for the KHL because he didn't want to be a 3rd pairing sheltered defenseman.

He didn't ask for 7+mil.

He didn't feel disrespected because Bergevin wouldn't agree to 7+mil. Bergevin was a disrespectful prick by his own admission. He told Markov and Radulov he had room for one of them, whomever signs first. Take or leave it contract. He said he told them that, no one is making it up.

When Markov said he is willing to accept a 1 year contract, Bergevin wouldn't respond. He later blamed Markov for not having an agent, making it difficult to talk to him.

So among that pile of horse manure in that post the only truth was Markov was slowing down and our left side was targeted because of it.

You want to argue Markov is finished, too slow, by all means do so. But making **** up and presenting them as facts to support your argument isn't going to fly.
I have no idea if any of this is true or not, but it sounds good, and is definitely "edgy" and fun to read! :handclap:

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Markov should join a coaching staff similarly to what Gonchar has done for the Pens.

I thought about this yesterday - he was a general at the blueline. If he could transmit that to Ds on our powerplay, it may make a hell of a difference.
however, i would question whether he has any communication skills.

PuckinFilet06

Jul 28, 2019
I have no idea if any of this is true or not, but it sounds good, and is definitely "edgy" and fun to read! :handclap:

Im not sure what he is doing. Markov wanted too much money. He was washed up. Thats it. He is my favorite defenseman since i started watching hockey in the 90s as a kid . But unfortunately you cant stop aging.

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
Welp. Lol. Thats just a bunch of lies. He was just as good as Weber in his last season. The fact he got burned by faster player doesnt make him bad, just like it doesnt make Weber bad.

Not bad, but vulnerable. And if he has found a way to compensate....the it's a no-brainer. I would take Markov over Reilly with no hesitation. Now as for the attitude problem - apparently -- I'm guessing Markov would be more conscience of any little character flaws and would gel with the group.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Signing him would be a PR homerun for Bergy and Molson.
Bringing back The General, one of the most loved, and fan favorite, Habs in recent memory, to get his 1000th game, and more, in the Blue-Blanc-Rouge, and act as a mentor for younger talent.
This is a no brainer.
I’d have signed him already if I was Bergevin.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Not bad, but vulnerable. And if he has found a way to compensate....the it's a no-brainer. I would take Markov over Reilly with no hesitation. Now as for the attitude problem - apparently -- I'm guessing Markov would be more conscience of any little character flaws and would gel with the group.

Conscious.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Signing him would be a PR homerun for Bergy and Molson
I don’t agree. People like(d) Markov but the team is more important.

I think Markov has done a good thing by hiring an agent (AW) but it’s unfortunately too late.

I wish him the best of luck but I agree with Hartley and I don’t think the Habs would benefit from signing him, it would be more of a distraction then anything.

Reactions: Habby4Life

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
Signing him would be a PR homerun for Bergy and Molson.
Bringing back The General, one of the most loved, and fan favorite, Habs in recent memory, to get his 1000th game, and more, in the Blue-Blanc-Rouge, and act as a mentor for younger talent.
This is a no brainer.
I’d have signed him already if I was Bergevin.
Sure, waste another year using old players. Fans will love that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad