Rumor: Andrei Markov wants to return to the NHL next season, preferably with the Canadiens

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
What are you going on about? Not much of this is speculation. You can pretty easily summarize how things went down by quotes from both parties.

Markov wanted 2 years. MB wanted 1 year. MB gave him a couple 1 year options, one of those was around Markov's AAV but was made up of performance bonuses. They didn't have "negotiations". Bergevin pretty much said take it or leave.

BS - we can summarize from a couple of quotes - laughable. Just another example of making something up to fit a narrative.

Frankly, it doesn’t matter. MTL gave him an offer they were comfortable, he didn’t like it and left. Both parties apparently didn’t budge from thier position and that’s happens all the time during negotations. Boo Hoo for Markov.

This thread is about him wanting to come back. The org politely declined and they owe him nothing else.

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
what's not true ? He was asking for a two year deal, then said he would accept a one year deal. Then MB said that we were not EVEN interested in a one year deal so he signed with the KHL and then we signed lolzner for way more money and term ( allegedly to make the defensive corps better than the year before).

we also signed, or had under contract lots of 8-10 D that ultimately were waived and cleared ( schlemko, ouellet, lolzner and others that drinking has stripped from my mind, thankfully).

Whether you think Markov's loyalty to the club was deserved is up for debate, but as soon as it was clear that out fine GM was handing him his hat, he went to the KHL.
Why make up shit and then claim it to be true.
Again your are totally wrong. Markov refused the 1 yr offer. It was Markov who walked away.
As posted by NORiculous below,
Report: Andrei Markov felt disrespected by Canadiens' Bergevin - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: Habby4Life

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Huh? what trade track record is that? apart from lucking out on Domi his specialty was getting 5th round picks in meaningless trades.
His trade highlights are below and none of them make his track record pretty damn good.
Paccioretty trade was weak return.
Subban for Weber was stupid
Sergachev for Drouin was ******ed
Galchenyuk for Domi he fell into it ass backwards
2 2nd round picks for Shaw was an overpayment
Patches trade was a great return for the Habs.... Tomas Tatar, Nick Suzuki and a second-round pick in the 2019 draft,
Galchenyuk for Domi was another great trade.
Petry for a 2nd and 5th rd pick was another great trade.
Subban for Weber was needed as we all now know Subban was not liked by most of the dressing room.
Claiming Byron of waivers was another great move .
Getting Armia for Bourque was another win for the Habs.
Seems like a pretty good track record to me.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Huh? what trade track record is that? apart from lucking out on Domi his specialty was getting 5th round picks in meaningless trades.
His trade highlights are below and none of them make his track record pretty damn good.

Gotta love when people push the narrative that bad trades are always incompetence and good trades are luck. Edgy indeed.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Why make up **** and then claim it to be true.
Again your are totally wrong. Markov refused the 1 yr offer. It was Markov who walked away.
As posted by NORiculous below,
Report: Andrei Markov felt disrespected by Canadiens' Bergevin - Sportsnet.ca

and in this article he said this

Two summers ago, Markov was looking for a two-year contract, but Bergevin only wanted to give him one. When asked Tuesday if he later changed his stance and said he would accept a one-year deal before going to the KHL, Markov paused briefly and then said: “Actually, I don’t remember. Probably, yes. But I don’t go back. … I don’t regret what I did. I spent two years in Russia and we won the championship there.”

so there is that ( and the first come first served deal between him and radulov)

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Patches trade was a great return for the Habs.... Tomas Tatar, Nick Suzuki and a second-round pick in the 2019 draft,
Subban for Weber was needed as we all now know Subban was not liked by most of the dressing room.
HabsWatch - Providing insight on the Montreal Canadiens: Trade History
This list says I'm right. For every trade you claim is great, I can show you 5 that are bad.

Also, Patches was a bad trade, Tatar is an average 3rd liner, Suzuki has yet to prove he can play at an NHL level and a 2nd isn't very impressive. Had the moron traded Patches the year before he would have gotten a king's ransom for him, even the year he traded him had he not made it so obvious in the media he wasn't going to re-sign him he would have had a much higher return.
Let's wait and see what Domi does this year and what Galchenyuk does in Pittsburgh before you call it a great trade.
Petry was a good trade, one good trade doesn't not make for an impressive record.
Subban was a shit trade, we traded a young Norris winning defenseman with no injury history for an aging often injured player on the down slide. There isn't enough spin in the world to make this look good, it was spiteful and egoistic as are all his decisions.
Armia is also and average dime a dozen player, nothing about him stands out as great.
So no, his trade history is shitty and I'm being generous in my description.

Gotta love when people push the narrative that bad trades are always incompetence and good trades are luck. Edgy indeed.
Not everyone is a Bergevin apologist, some of us see him for what he is. An incompetent moron driven by personal grudges and ego that set us back years when he took over through a series of bad decisions and useless trades. Want someone to hold your hand and sing kumbaya and tell you Bergevin is great, look elsewhere, it won't be me.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
This list says I'm right. For every trade you claim is great, I can show you 5 that are bad.

Also, Patches was a bad trade, Tatar is an average 3rd liner, Suzuki has yet to prove he can play at an NHL level and a 2nd isn't very impressive. Had the moron traded Patches the year before he would have gotten a king's ransom for him, even the year he traded him had he not made it so obvious in the media he wasn't going to re-sign him he would have had a much higher return.
Let's wait and see what Domi does this year and what Galchenyuk does in Pittsburgh before you call it a great trade.
Petry was a good trade, one good trade doesn't not make for an impressive record.
Subban was a **** trade, we traded a young Norris winning defenseman with no injury history for an aging often injured player on the down slide. There isn't enough spin in the world to make this look good, it was spiteful and egoistic as are all his decisions.
Armia is also and average dime a dozen player, nothing about him stands out as great.
So no, his trade history is ****ty and I'm being generous in my description.

Not everyone is a Bergevin apologist, some of us see him for what he is. An incompetent moron driven by personal grudges and ego that set us back years when he took over through a series of bad decisions and useless trades. Want someone to hold your hand and sing kumbaya and tell you Bergevin is great, look elsewhere, it won't be me.

You are the one here who seems to be driven by personal grudges.

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Subban was a **** trade, we traded a young Norris winning defenseman with no injury history for an aging often injured player on the down slide. There isn't enough spin in the world to make this look good, it was spiteful and egoistic as are all his decisions.
So no, his trade history is ****ty and I'm being generous in my description.

Tatar never hit under 20 goal pace in a season. He had a bad year but I'd say he's a 2nd liner usually. An average 3rd liner seems very pessimistic.

I am unsure what you expected for Pacioretty. For example, did Kessel get better?

Let's wait what Domi does with average players and what Galchenyuk does with generational talents? Really? Whatever Galchenyuk does, ask if Domi would also benefit from being on a superstar's wing.

It's funny you mention injures with Subban and Weber. Subban missed 14 games his last habs season because of injury. Weber missed 20 games total his 8 last years in nashville combined. Weber's post trade injury was not predictable.

I'm not crazy about the guy either but you can't invent injury histories and wait for generational talents to prop up players...

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
BS - we can summarize from a couple of quotes - laughable. Just another example of making something up to fit a narrative.

Frankly, it doesn’t matter. MTL gave him an offer they were comfortable, he didn’t like it and left. Both parties apparently didn’t budge from thier position and that’s happens all the time during negotations. Boo Hoo for Markov.

This thread is about him wanting to come back. The org politely declined and they owe him nothing else.

The quotes formed the narrative, not the other way around. You clearly have no recollection of the events that took place or the public statements from both parties. This is a very simple story to follow. You're just spitting conjecture at this point.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
You are the one here who seems to be driven by personal grudges.
To have a personal grudge he would have had to do something to me personally, since he and I are not even remotely acquainted I can't have a personal grudge against him. That's how it works.

Tatar never hit under 20 goal pace in a season. He had a bad year but I'd say he's a 2nd liner usually. An average 3rd liner seems very pessimistic.

I am unsure what you expected for Pacioretty. For example, did Kessel get better?

Let's wait what Domi does with average players and what Galchenyuk does with generational talents? Really? Whatever Galchenyuk does, ask if Domi would also benefit from being on a superstar's wing.

It's funny you mention injures with Subban and Weber. Subban missed 14 games his last habs season because of injury. Weber missed 20 games total his 8 last years in nashville combined. Weber's post trade injury was not predictable.

I'm not crazy about the guy either but you can't invent injury histories and wait for generational talents to prop up players...
Claiming Domi was a great trade and not pure luck is facetious at best. Domi had 2 seasons of 9 goals prior to joining the Habs, let's see if he repeats that production then claim Bergevin was a genius.

Are you telling me if Bergevin hadn't been so obvious in the media about his intentions to trade Pacioretty, we wouldn't have had a better return? A perennial 30 goal scorer on a sweet contract is worth more than Tatar, Suzuki and a 2nd.

Kessel trade toArizona? It was fuelled by internal strife and Malkin reportedly said it was either him or Kessel. It was obvious his days were numbered so the lacklustre return was to be expected.

Invent injury history? the guy played 82 games ONCE in his entire career. He missed 3-4 games every season and he's still older and slower than Subban. You can't deny trading Subban was another ego move by Bergevin, if it weren't for Molson we would have never signed him that summer.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
The quotes formed the narrative, not the other way around. You clearly have no recollection of the events that took place or the public statements from both parties. This is a very simple story to follow. You're just spitting conjecture at this point.

It was a simple matter of mgt not willing to accept the term and a salary structure that Markov was asking for. It happens all the time. There just wasn’t a middle ground either party was willing to accept. I don’t think either party is to blame for holding thier ground. Just business they have to do what they fell is best for them.

It’s too bad Markov felt disrespected, it might have gone differently if he had an agent but that’s pure speculation.

Anyway, he’s gone, time to move on.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Paccioretty was a weak return? He got Tatar - who out scored Patches - plus Nick Suzuki plus a 2nd round pick. That was an outstanding return.

How come you have left out trading Tomas Fleischmann and Dale Weise for Philip Danault and 2nd round pick? That was an exceptional trade. That 2nd rounder, by the way, was used to select Alexander Romanov.

You also left out Jeff Petry for a 2nd and a 5th, another excellent trade for Montreal.

You also strangely didn't include Sebastian Collberg and a 2nd round pick for Tomas Vanek, which was a great addition.

There are a lot of things you can knock Bergevin for, but pretending he doesn't have a good track record on trades seems like a weird one based on the evidence.

Reactions: Archijerej

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Are you telling me if Bergevin hadn't been so obvious in the media about his intentions to trade Pacioretty, we wouldn't have had a better return? A perennial 30 goal scorer on a sweet contract is worth more than Tatar, Suzuki and a 2nd.

First of all, I don't think he was worth more, that was a solid return, secondly his sweet contract was expiring, the first thing he did the day that Vegas acquired him was sign a new contract.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Paccioretty was a weak return? He got Tatar - who out scored Patches - plus Nick Suzuki plus a 2nd round pick. That was an outstanding return.

How come you have left out trading Tomas Fleischmann and Dale Weise for Philip Danault and 2nd round pick? That was an exceptional trade. That 2nd rounder, by the way, was used to select Alexander Romanov.

You also left out Jeff Petry for a 2nd and a 5th, another excellent trade for Montreal.

You also strangely didn't include Sebastian Collberg and a 2nd round pick for Tomas Vanek, which was a great addition.

There are a lot of things you can knock Bergevin for, but pretending he doesn't have a good track record on trades seems like a weird one based on the evidence.
You want to go trade by trade and do a tally of who comes out on top? Like I said before, for every "good" trade you name I can name 5 that were atrocious. Give it a rest, there's no defending his trades. He's called Bargainbin for a reason.

First of all, I don't think he was worth more, that was a solid return, secondly his sweet contract was expiring, the first thing he did the day that Vegas acquired him was sign a new contract.
Good for you. What makes you think my opinion is based on your valuation?
Keep up with the conversation, I already said he should have been traded the year before his last year since we were not planning on re-signing him. Even so, trading Pacioretty's expiring contract at the deadline to a contender would have better you a fortune if you played your cards right, if you don't understand that basic concept in making trades then that's on you.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
You want to go trade by trade and do a tally of who comes out on top? Like I said before, for every "good" trade you name I can name 5 that were atrocious. Give it a rest, there's no defending his trades. He's called Bargainbin for a reason.

Good for you. What makes you think my opinion is based on your valuation?
Keep up with the conversation, I already said he should have been traded the year before his last year since we were not planning on re-signing him. Even so, trading Pacioretty's expiring contract at the deadline to a contender would have better you a fortune if you played your cards right, if you don't understand that basic concept in making trades then that's on you.

What's the deal with your hostility? Are you okay?

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
He's called Bargainbin due to his penchant for acquiring bottom-6 forwards on the cheap as well as being frugal with capspace. His overall trade record is pretty good.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Bergevin said no more PTOs for habs.

Well if PTO is what Markov would've had to settle for then it's an easy decision for him to stay in Russia. No hard feelings but the fit is just not there anymore, just like Plekanec last year didn't really work out.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com

Pretty good doesn't get you in the playoffs.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
He's called Bargainbin due to his penchant for acquiring bottom-6 forwards on the cheap as well as being frugal with capspace. His overall trade record is pretty good.
Pretty good? Seriously?! I gave you a link to all the trades he made and you still call his record pretty good?

Ok, let's look at this off season

upload_2019-9-13_11-51-31.png

Which of these trades is "pretty good"?
Downgrading form a 2nd to a 3rd and a 5th?
Trading Shaw for less than what he got him for after a career high season? Either he got fleeced initially when he acquired him or he got fleeced now, which one of these is "pretty good"?
A 5th for a 5th
A 7th for a 7th

He makes a lot of nothing trades. None of them qualify as "pretty good"

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Markov is 40 years old and sucks. He's not going to play in the NHL ever again unless he can find a time machine.

/closethread

damn that's cold lol

i don't have a problem with him signing anywhere even at 40, but he's going to have to prove he has the endurance and speed to keep up in this league and unfortunately no one believes he does

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Trading Shaw for less than what he got him for after a career high season? Either he got fleeced initially when he acquired him or he got fleeced now, which one of these is "pretty good"?
What? No...

Shaw was a serviceable player who was on a career year, sure. Everyone can see he might not reproduce. He was also 3 years older and an injury away for retirement.

The return was fine.

Move along.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad