Player Discussion Andre Burakovsky

Will Burakovsky be a Capital in 2019-2020?

• Total voters

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Let's just unpack that a bit more. Burakovsky, who has seen significant time in the top 6 for a perpetually successful Cup champion team and done little more than jack **** with it, wants a better opportunity somewhere else.

LOL

So what does that mean, really? That he wants to be the main goal threat on another team, without some of the most prolific scorers and passers in the league to pad his mediocre stats? He's going to go out there and carry the mail every night instead of cherrypicking scraps from 2nd and 3rd pairings/lines?

It's time to move on if that's his takeaway from the last several years. To me this confirms what I said earlier about not really taking coaching to heart, other than maybe his father's.
I wonder. Based on his own comments about working with a shrink and all, I wonder if it's more that he feels the weight of the coaches' lack of confidence in him and wants a fresh start. Who knows?

Reactions: marcel snapshot

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I wonder. Based on his own comments about working with a shrink and all, I wonder if it's more that he feels the weight of the coaches' lack of confidence in him and wants a fresh start. Who knows?

Well that wouldn't be a great sign. I'm a big believer in sports psychology as a tool to improve performance but if your issue is lost confidence because the coaches are mean to you or don't believe in you, then even some shrinks are going to tell you to get thicker skin as part of your improvement plan. They will focus on what you need to do to change the mind of that coach and you will methodically attack those problem areas. Part of that will be building up your own sources of unconditional confidence as well as working a process-oriented plan designed to incrementally achieve performance-oriented goals.

Michael Jordan is an oft-cited example of someone who used such a snub as motivation for his entire career. He even ranted about it at his HOF induction ceremony. It is potential fuel, which is precious to those who see it that way rather than a wound.

The exception to that might be if it's determined the coach is just unreasonably biased against you and has no real chance of changing his/her opinion, in which case removing that negative and restrictive influence would be warranted.

But just by inductive speculation I would be shocked if Bura's situation has been anything close to this severe. We can all see his play drop off for long periods and the same mistakes being made. We know they want him to do more and be less of a perimeter player. Is he stagnant because he doesn't understand what the coaches want? Does he believe in his mind he's making massive changes and the coaches don't see it that way?

Either way, if he wants out because he doesn't think the coaches believe in him, and they don't believe in him, none of the details matter and he should just be shipped out for the best possible return.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Well that wouldn't be a great sign. I'm a big believer in sports psychology as a tool to improve performance but if your issue is lost confidence because the coaches are mean to you or don't believe in you, then even some shrinks are going to tell you to get thicker skin as part of your improvement plan. They will focus on what you need to do to change the mind of that coach and you will methodically attack those problem areas. Part of that will be building up your own sources of unconditional confidence as well as working a process-oriented plan designed to incrementally achieve performance-oriented goals.

Michael Jordan is an oft-cited example of someone who used such a snub as motivation for his entire career. He even ranted about it at his HOF induction ceremony. It is potential fuel, which is precious to those who see it that way rather than a wound.

The exception to that might be if it's determined the coach is just unreasonably biased against you and has no real chance of changing his/her opinion, in which case removing that negative and restrictive influence would be warranted.

But just by inductive speculation I would be shocked if Bura's situation has been anything close to this severe. We can all see his play drop off for long periods and the same mistakes being made. We know they want him to do more and be less of a perimeter player. Is he stagnant because he doesn't understand what the coaches want? Does he believe in his mind he's making massive changes and the coaches don't see it that way?

Either way, if he wants out because he doesn't think the coaches believe in him, and they don't believe in him, none of the details matter and he should just be shipped out for the best possible return.

:puppy: someone's feeling verbose this evening.

but yes, agree, time to move on, for everyone involved. ;)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I can sort of see how a frustrated player may believe if he had better linemates and more trust from the staff then he would perform better. But the player also has to be self-disciplined and determined to earn that and he hasn't. A better setup might help but it comes down to him not being determined enough. Even with Ovechkin out, Stephenson & DSP are getting bumped up instead. It speaks volumes. Those two haven't even been particularly good but are deemed more trustworthy. It's just a matter of when, not if, and them finally getting a return (or finding a package fit) to their liking.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I wonder if Stephenson getting the nod on the top line is a direct response to this report? Not that Stephenson deserved the spot (he doesn’t) but more of a don’t air your dirty laundry to the media and expect to get bumped up in the lineup.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't think he's gone to the media per se. It's just that insider types have perhaps ferreted some stuff out and maybe that's based on either his reps or the intel work being done by interested teams doing their homework. He could have made this a much bigger issue if he wanted to. I'm guessing it has more to do with them wanting to get back to playing better team defense and Stephenson's line being used to try to shutdown the Gaudreau line.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don't think he's gone to the media per se. It's just that insider types have perhaps ferreted some stuff out and maybe that's based on either his reps or the intel work being done by interested teams doing their homework. He could have made this a much bigger issue if he wanted to. I'm guessing it has more to do with them wanting to get back to playing better team defense and Stephenson's line being used to try to shutdown the Gaudreau line.

Stephenson played well on Backstrom's wing for some time last season. I like the move

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I expect that the Caps are going to do their best to got the 1-0 game route tonight. Stephenson getting the ice time makes sense. Their defense game is their priority tonight.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England

To be honest I disagree - a shrink telling someone with low confidence to get thicker skin is like telling a depressed person to cheer up - I'd hope they'd take a slightly more nuanced approach :laugh:

I do agree though that a change of scenery is a great opportunity to make other changes, kind of like pushing the reset button.

I could definitely see Bura breaking out elsewhere, but if that happens I'll just think "fair play to him" and know that for whatever reason it was just never going to happen here.

If the GM agrees then acknowledge that and wheel and deal him for as much as you can get for him, nothing else left to do .

Him riding the 4th line with Ovi out is a big sign which won't have escaped him

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
"he wanted to do more, and he wanted a more significant role."

20055526.gif

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Probably already mentioned, but problem with Bura, is that he will best player in the trade. He will likely perform better elsewhere with more stability in the lineup. His value is low for Caps, but higher for other teams. My guess, main reason why not traded yet is because teams don't give much for him. Teams simply are trying to steal him.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
To be honest I disagree - a shrink telling someone with low confidence to get thicker skin is like telling a depressed person to cheer up - I'd hope they'd take a slightly more nuanced approach :laugh:

We're talking about professional athletes going to performance coaches, not teenagers with identity issues spilling their guts and crying for help on the couch of a counselor.

A SPORTS Psychologist who's trying to improve a player's "grit", consistency, clutch ability, etc. is definitely going to have to take off the kid gloves if a player is having his feelings hurt by his coach, provided there isn't some serious abuse behind it.

If you can't take criticism or you get your fee-fees hurt by coaches then you're never going to be great.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We're talking about professional athletes going to performance coaches, not teenagers with identity issues spilling their guts and crying for help on the couch of a counselor.

A SPORTS Psychologist who's trying to improve a player's "grit", consistency, clutch ability, etc. is definitely going to have to take off the kid gloves if a player is having his feelings hurt by his coach, provided there isn't some serious abuse behind it.

If you can't take criticism or you get your fee-fees hurt by coaches then you're never going to be great.
Didnt know you were a shrink.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Who posts shit like that? A bot. A bot posts shit like that.

The 3rd line looks so much better with Hagelin over Bura

I don’t see how he comes back to be a 4th liner, double down my no

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Who posts **** like that? A bot. A bot posts **** like that.

The 3rd line looks so much better with Hagelin over Bura

I don’t see how he comes back to be a 4th liner, double down my no

This graph doesn’t take into account much of Burakovsky’s best month. He’s been passing the eye test with flying colors for a while now. I’m sure he’d look good on 3 if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad