Confirmed with Link: André Tourigny named next Head Coach (presser @11AM Thursday)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Great news about Schwab and I’m glad Stillman will be back too! I was apprehensive about Duhamel at first but since he’s really the extra guy in that Varady/Peters hybrid role, I’m cool with it. He’s the glue guy and he helps Tourigny be at his best. So that’s fine.

The Housley thing is just awkward. But maybe it’ll keep Chychrun happy. I’m just going to tell myself that after losing Goligoski, would couldn’t also take Housley away from Chychrun.

rt

May 13, 2004
I’m glad Stillman is coming back. I don’t like Housley returning but I guess it doesn’t matter much. And maybe it makes Chychrun happy. I wasn’t thrilled with the idea of Mario Duhamel initially but I think I’d they’ve got Stillman and Housley as the primary associates and Mario Duhamel as the third wheel, getting his feet wet, then that’s fine. Since Tourigny got stuck with the last guy’s staff, it’s fair that he should be able to bring his friend.
LOL - did not notice that I posted the almost exact same thing a couple of weeks ago. Haha.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Housley was highly regarded as an assistant in Nashville. Then he fell on his face as a head coach (like Tocchet) in Buffalo. Maybe he can get back to what he was before? Worst case scenario he only has another year left on his deal and we can just dump him next summer like half the roster.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I had actually heard a rumor that had Tocchet gotten a job this summer, he was going to bring Varady and MacLean as his assistants.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
La longue route d'André Tourigny

Main parts:

- GMBA did not pretend that the team would be a successful one at the beginning
- For Tourigny, it felt like this was joining an expansion team but there already was some cohesion within the team
- Toughest part has been to find some chemistry between the players, particularly when you change the way the team has been used to play and you do it with a bunch of new players too
- It felt like a long time before the first win but he thoroughly enjoyed it - he kept the puck.
- For him, whilst he understands the long plan, his focus is on today and trying the make the team play the best it can. He really wants the players to be proud and give their best efforts every time
- His aim is also to build a good team with a strong culture for now and the future as he believes that the Coyotes have a good future ahead of them
- This is also essential to integrate the younger players that will come to the team - there needs to be a strong culture in place
- The alleged "uncertainty" on the future of the franchise ie. moving does not bother him as he believes that the team won't move from Phoenix as Bettman keeps saying it; just in a different location in/around the city
- He really believes in the market, it feels it is a very dynamic large city but the key is the location of the arena to make the franchise more successful in his mind (he compares it a little bit to the location of the arena in Ottawa)
- Finally on MLK day Coyotes will be playing the Canadiens, the two worst teams in the league. He says he is surprised by the position of Montreal, it is a very different situation than the Coyotes's one as the Canadiens were Stanley Cup finalists. So his situation is very different than Ducharme's MTL headcoach
- To conclude: he is very pleased with the progress of the team, particularly the interaction between more experience players and the younger ones. It does not mean anything however GMBA said to him that when he watches the team practices, he has the feeling that he sees a champion team practising; everyone is keen to learn, works very hard and with enthusiasm.
For any outsider it would be hard to believe that he/she would be watching a team dead last in the standings.

rt

May 13, 2004
La longue route d'André Tourigny

Main parts:

- GMBA did not pretend that the team would be a successful one at the beginning
- For Tourigny, it felt like this was joining an expansion team but there already was some cohesion within the team
- Toughest part has been to find some chemistry between the players, particularly when you change the way the team has been used to play and you do it with a bunch of new players too
- It felt like a long time before the first win but he thoroughly enjoyed it - he kept the puck.
- For him, whilst he understands the long plan, his focus is on today and trying the make the team play the best it can. He really wants the players to be proud and give their best efforts every time
- His aim is also to build a good team with a strong culture for now and the future as he believes that the Coyotes have a good future ahead of them
- This is also essential to integrate the younger players that will come to the team - there needs to be a strong culture in place
- The alleged "uncertainty" on the future of the franchise ie. moving does not bother him as he believes that the team won't move from Phoenix as Bettman keeps saying it; just in a different location in/around the city
- He really believes in the market, it feels it is a very dynamic large city but the key is the location of the arena to make the franchise more successful in his mind (he compares it a little bit to the location of the arena in Ottawa)
- Finally on MLK day Coyotes will be playing the Canadiens, the two worst teams in the league. He says he is surprised by the position of Montreal, it is a very different situation than the Coyotes's one as the Canadiens were Stanley Cup finalists. So his situation is very different than Ducharme's MTL headcoach
- To conclude: he is very pleased with the progress of the team, particularly the interaction between more experience players and the younger ones. It does not mean anything however GMBA said to him that when he watches the team practices, he has the feeling that he sees a champion team practising; everyone is keen to learn, works very hard and with enthusiasm.
For any outsider it would be hard to believe that he/she would be watching a team dead last in the standings.
Thanks for this PSG!!!

Makes me want to keep Crouse and Chychrun even more, though. :(

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I think establishing the culture is why the team should look to sign some of the UFAs we have to another short-term deal. If they can bring assets at the TDL, then do that, but otherwise, it might be wise to sign guys like Dzingel, Larsson, Boyd, and O'Brien. It helps provide some veteran continuity which is important in shaping the young guys coming up.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I think establishing the culture is why the team should look to sign some of the UFAs we have to another short-term deal. If they can bring assets at the TDL, then do that, but otherwise, it might be wise to sign guys like Dzingel, Larsson, Boyd, and O'Brien. It helps provide some veteran continuity which is important in shaping the young guys coming up.
Those four deserve it and I would give some thought to Ladd as well.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They will be UFA's. Trade them if you can get assets, and if BA wants, try to sign them in the off season, if not, there are a dime a dozen older character players that would like that one last kick of the cat. We need a good mix of vet and kids, but this year the mix is terrible, but that was by design. Next year we have to bring in more kids and less over the hill type players. Ghost and Ladd have one year remaining on their contract. Boyd and Larsson deserve short term deals but I sure would not over pay for them. As of today, that is the only four I want back.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
They will be UFA's. Trade them if you can get assets, and if BA wants, try to sign them in the off season, if not, there are a dime a dozen older character players that would like that one last kick of the cat. We need a good mix of vet and kids, but this year the mix is terrible, but that was by design. Next year we have to bring in more kids and less over the hill type players. Ghost and Ladd have one year remaining on their contract. Boyd and Larsson deserve short term deals but I sure would not over pay for them. As of today, that is the only four I want back.
I am pretty sure Ghost and Kessel will be gone by the TDL, maybe Larson too. There are plenty of vet UFA "character guys" to sign in the off season. The GM and coach always make a big deal about "character guys" they sign but the truth is they are a dime a dozen. It's more important that you avoid certain platers that have known crappy attitudes or are difficult to deal with. At this point, BA knows which players to avoid. I am not worried about finding cheap character vets for the roster this summer.

rt

May 13, 2004
I am pretty sure Ghost and Kessel will be gone by the TDL, maybe Larson too. There are plenty of vet UFA "character guys" to sign in the off season. The GM and coach always make a big deal about "character guys" they sign but the truth is they are a dime a dozen. It's more important that you avoid certain platers that have known crappy attitudes or are difficult to deal with. At this point, BA knows which players to avoid. I am not worried about finding cheap character vets for the roster this summer.
I don’t think they’ll deal Gostisbehere this season. They have only one retention slot left and that’s earmarked for Kessel. I think they’ll trade Gostisbehere next season when they can retain on him. Also, if they’re moving Chychrun, they’ll need someone who can eat big minutes. That’s Gostisbehere by default.

Im not sure I can get onboard with your character/culture analysis. I don’t think it’s that simple. Derek Stepan has always been lauded as a fantastic leader. As far as I can tell, he was the chief loafer in the country club Chayka and Tocchet built. Meanwhile, Ladd was seen as completely washed up and unable to even play in the league. Instead he’s been an absolutely blood and guts force on the ice, in terms of intensity, pushback and never say die.

Tocchet’s teams ALWAYS folded like cheap suits. Tourigny’s NEVER give up. And part of that is personnel. I think we have a GM and pro scouting team that can spot the difference and a Coaching staff that knows what to do with the players they’re given, on this front. I think it’s a combo.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don’t think they’ll deal Gostisbehere this season. They have only one retention slot left and that’s earmarked for Kessel. I think they’ll trade Gostisbehere next season when they can retain on him. Also, if they’re moving Chychrun, they’ll need someone who can eat big minutes. That’s Gostisbehere by default.
That's the way it's kind of looking.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
One can learn quite a lot about leadership just listening to Bear talk. Check out the artwork on the dry erase board.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
For those who may not be convinced that Tourigney is quality:
"It was a well-coached team, and as a player, when you're playing against teams like that, you notice that," Bjugstad said. "You can tell if a team's hard to play against, and if they're really buying in … We needed points for playoff positioning, and the Coyotes took it to us.
Referring to the Wild's last home game vs the Coyotes.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
For those who may not be convinced that Tourigney is quality:
"It was a well-coached team, and as a player, when you're playing against teams like that, you notice that," Bjugstad said. "You can tell if a team's hard to play against, and if they're really buying in … We needed points for playoff positioning, and the Coyotes took it to us.
Referring to the Wild's last home game vs the Coyotes.
Just ask the Predators how their last pre-playoff tuneup went, and how those playoffs turned out for them...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad