Confirmed with Link: André Tourigny named next Head Coach (presser @11AM Thursday)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If that can be the expectation (including a better management of young players), I'll be the happiest boy at the prom.

I really like Tipp, I was ready to move on but he was my favorite for the job and continued to be someone I thought highly of until the departure of Maloney.
Haha. Well he’s talking the talk. Walking the walk is something else entirely. I’m cautiously optimistic about it his hire.

Reactions: Jakey53

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Haha. Well he’s talking the talk. Walking the walk is something else entirely. I’m cautiously optimistic about it his hire.
100%
Your optimism is still helpful. You did a lot of digging on him and it paints him in a way that you'd feel confident he'll be successful and we need that.

Reactions: Surfshop

rt

May 13, 2004
Pierre LeBrun (The Athletic) article on Buffalo's and Arizona's head coaching hires.

LeBrun: Why the Sabres and Coyotes went with unheralded coach hires and what it says about their futures
BA interviewed 10 guys. 4 guys got more than one interview (Tourigny, Nelson, MVR, and Pascal Vincent). Tourigny and Nelson were the finalists. BA says Tourigny was at the top of his list from the start. He cast a wide net, learned a lot, and invested a lot into confirming Tourigny was the one for him.

LeBrun spends most of the article talking about how hiring a coach like this signals a rebuild or reset. That the Yotes will likely get worse before they get better. Tourigny and whatever the young core ends up being will grow together. LeBrun is skeptical about finding anyone who will be willing to take OEL. Says Boston is a great fit but he is concerned that’s not a moveable contract.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I am still kinda shocked this happened and we didn't end up with a Scott Gordon type or some shit.

rt

May 13, 2004
I am still kinda shocked this happened and we didn't end up with a Scott Gordon type or some shit.
Or Jack Capuano - LOL.

Tourigny is definitely a risky hire, in his own right. But at least there's a potential payoff. We're resetting the roster anyway (or so it seems) and this is probably a great time for a boom-or-bust hire.

Reactions: Mangosteen

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
  • Neutral Zone: Fêting Niklas Hjalmarsson upon his retirement, plus the RFA plan
    My understanding is that coach André Tourigny is finalizing his coaching staff this week. Phil Housley was already under contract for another year. Jay Varady has returned to Tucson as the Roadrunners’ head coach on a three-year contract. That leaves decisions on Cory Stillman and goalie coach Corey Schwab. It is probably fair to assume that Tourigny will at least get to name one assistant of his own from his past, but GM Bill Armstrong also wants to make sure that the first-time NHL head coach has the veteran support that he needs on the bench.

sounds like Housley may play out the final year of his contract and we’ll see Tourigny’s hire this week

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hope the other hire is quality.

Housley living off of Chychrun at this point.

rt

May 13, 2004
Housley sucks. I think they probably just gave him too much and don’t want to pay him to stay home. There’s no point in keeping him otherwise. The only blue liners left are Chychrun and Lyubushkin. So there’s not even any continuity benefit.

Really hope Benoit Groulx is the other guy and they just tolerate Housley for a year.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Per sources, assistant coaches Phil Housley and Cory Stillman are expected to return to the bench alongside new coach André Tourigny. Tourigny will also add at least one new face to the staff in longtime associate Mario Duhamel. Duhamel, 46, has worked with Tourigny at three different stops. He was his assistant coach with the QMJHL’s Rouyn-Noranda Huskies from 2005-2009; the Colorado Avalanche video coach from 2013-15 while Tourigny was an assistant there; and Tourigny’s assistant/associate coach with the Ottawa 67s for the past three seasons.

rt

May 13, 2004
I’m glad Stillman is coming back. I don’t like Housley returning but I guess it doesn’t matter much. And maybe it makes Chychrun happy. I wasn’t thrilled with the idea of Mario Duhamel initially but I think I’d they’ve got Stillman and Housley as the primary associates and Mario Duhamel as the third wheel, getting his feet wet, then that’s fine. Since Tourigny got stuck with the last guy’s staff, it’s fair that he should be able to bring his friend.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->