Speculation: Andersen doesn’t look even Tradable but....

Should Dubas trade Andersen

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
It sucks I hate ragging on our goalies and have loved Andersen at his best. He’s unfortunately just not getting it done. I don’t think we necessarily trade him and rather give Campbell the chance to see if he can hold the fort for a 1-3 years - just need him healthy

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Care to take a bet ... switch tenders and that was an easy 6-2 game for Leafs .. da Jets did not even belong on same ice surface ... 45 minutes of game puck in Jets end ... 15 minutes puck in our end ... facts are your friend -- 3 to 1 advantage

what kind of sick joke is this???

your tender IS PART OF YOUR TEAM!!!!!!

Mar 26, 2010
Yeah he should be traded, but has no value. What the heck are you going to trade him for?

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
I loved him man. Now I can’t. Check out his numbers in his games in this link. 10 of his 19 games he gave up 3 or more etc. Just some ugly numbers when there was few shots. Look for yourself but it’s discouraging I’ll warn ha
Frederik Andersen 2020-21 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com
I feel ya buddy, I think he's done here too and as a #1 in this league. I think his groin injury really took alot of battle out of his game. But I think you stick it out for the rest of the year. There aren't many good options on the market right now, there are numbers that suggest alot of his struggles this year may be bad luck. If he can give us league average goaltending were a legitimate cup contender.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If we can make a package deal for a better starter, then yes. We should be actively looking at options. Vegas is intriguing, but I'm not sure if one of their goalies is available and if so, whats the price ?

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Most of the goals are coming in on the PK, 5v5 hes sitting at 9th in the league in save %, but among the worst on PK (31/38), I dont know who the PK coach is, but it probably makes sense to bring in some new ideas

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah he should be traded, but has no value. What the heck are you going to trade him for?

There is still enough there for him to be wanted by a lot of teams who need a goalie, and Andersen would be the best one. Ullmark is his only UFA competition and he has never been more than a solid tandem starter at any point in his career. Andersen is a legit starter, and some teams may think he would be better elsewhere.

We likely don't get the Lehner return, but that would be a target. We'd also need to retain money, which we can afford to do if we are getting a much cheaper replacement.

Reactions: The Cobra

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Most of the goals are coming in on the PK, 5v5 hes sitting at 9th in the league in save %, but among the worst on PK (31/38), I dont know who the PK coach is, but it probably makes sense to bring in some new ideas

It has nothing to do with the PK in front of him. Our PK limits chances (both low and high danger) and has the 4th lowest xGA/60 in the league. We also generate a crap ton of turnovers and chances the other way.

Ultimately your goalie has to be your best PKer and he is by far our worst PKer. If it isn't easy, then he has struggled to save it... And even when it was easy, it has still looked like a struggle.

Reactions: LeafsRus and klmdg

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Yes, he did.

Now he is the weak link and is hindering us.

That is possible.

Well this is possible - however the leafs management have decided how they would like to spend their dough - so they have no money in their pocket to replace him . What are they going to do run with Campbell?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Well this is possible - however the leafs management have decided how they would like to spend their dough - so they have no money in their pocket to replace him . What are they going to do run with Campbell?

They could, or they could acquire a different guy. It's not like they are going to run with Campbell and Hutchinson if they move Andersen.

That uncertainty is the only significant thing that keeps Andersen safe. Everything else, including his chemistry with the locker room and especially his play, is not going to be enough for him anymore.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Funny how every bad leaf run is Freddys fault - he has bailed this team out for years .... I do not support this Freddy Bashing - Easy Out!
I get that. Who knows he might go on a rip and prove all us wrong. I hope he does. He doesn’t look very sure right now. He should be padding a really high sv% with the improved defensive play and dropping his Gaa in the below 2.50 easily. Hasn’t happened. A goalie can only hope for this defense in a contract year. He drops the ball here.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The Jets haven’t lost two in a row this year. I hope we end that stat. Something to shoot for right Leafers :)
I said enough on Freddy. Hope he gets rockin and i have to eat my words. Said my piece,now I’m done

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
It would be hilarious if we trade him and he wins the cup. Love to see this board when it happens and we end up with another 2½ decades of horrible goalies. Especially if the Hurricanes chatter before this season has any truth to it I can see it happening. lmfao.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He is absolutely tradeable, and he would get a decent amount in a trade. As much as he struggled, there are teams out there (Edmonton, Carolina, etc.) who would love a guy who is an upgrade over what they currently have and can handle a starters workload and there are not many guys out there who can do that.

It is also the reason why the Leafs may never consider it. Campbell hasn't proven enough and there are no other UFA options out there who are available and can do that. That boosts up Andersen's value.

I think if he had any value he would have been moved when all that media smoke was happening around free agency.

I think he's moveable but nothing is coming back of note for him

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think if he had any value he would have been moved when all that media smoke was happening around free agency.

I think he's moveable but nothing is coming back of note for him

Not necessarily, unless the Leafs found a proven option to replace him.

Leafs aren't going to move him and not get someone to replace him. They weren't going into the season with Campbell and Dell as their goalies. They'd take the chance that Andersen returns the form and just had an off year before they'd do that.

The smoke proves that the Leafs were, and likely still are, willing to move on from him. Now it becomes even more dire because he has yet to prove that he can return to form, but he still has value based on prestige and lack of many alternatives for teams needing starting goalies... And the Leafs are not going to move him without at least getting a quality replacement themselves (if not also getting a quality return for Andersen).

They are also not going to move him just to open up cap space. They'll just give Campbell the reins and let Andersen take on the Holtby role if they are completely done with Andersen as the starter. If Campbell gets hurt or struggles, then they'd still have a guy who maybe has a fire lit under his butt to use. Any other move which requires money will have to be done another way.

That being said, I think if there is a big ticket trade for the Leafs before the offseason, it happens by March 15th (assuming it happens with an American team). An Andersen trade would be a big ticket trade which likely involves an American team.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
It would be hilarious if we trade him and he wins the cup. Love to see this board when it happens and we end up with another 2½ decades of horrible goalies. Especially if the Hurricanes chatter before this season has any truth to it I can see it happening. lmfao.
Can he win a playoff round first without shitting himself?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not necessarily, unless the Leafs found a proven option to replace him.

Leafs aren't going to move him and not get someone to replace him. They weren't going into the season with Campbell and Dell as their goalies. They'd take the chance that Andersen returns the form and just had an off year before they'd do that.

The smoke proves that the Leafs were, and likely still are, willing to move on from him. Now it becomes even more dire because he has yet to prove that he can return to form, but he still has value based on prestige and lack of many alternatives for teams needing starting goalies... And the Leafs are not going to move him without at least getting a quality replacement themselves (if not also getting a quality return for Andersen).

They are also not going to move him just to open up cap space. They'll just give Campbell the reins and let Andersen take on the Holtby role if they are completely done with Andersen as the starter. If Campbell gets hurt or struggles, then they'd still have a guy who maybe has a fire lit under his butt to use. Any other move which requires money will have to be done another way.

That being said, I think if there is a big ticket trade for the Leafs before the offseason, it happens by March 15th (assuming it happens with an American team). An Andersen trade would be a big ticket trade which likely involves an American team.

Oh I agree here. But how I see it is if a trade for another goalie were to happen I think the other goalie will cost the Leafs assets and they'd just take back Andersen for salary purposes , I don't think he'd hold any (significant) value in the deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad