Speculation: Andersen doesn’t look even Tradable but....

Should Dubas trade Andersen

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Season is over if we run with Campbell as our starter. If you're going to replace Freddy it better be with a better goalie. Leafs still give up a ton of high quality chances and there aren't many goalies who will look good trying to stop the chances they give up.
The way Andersen is playing is the same this entire season. The defense and scoring have carried the play. Jeezus freddy used to be the one carrying the team. Thats history now. We need goalie depth. Campbell looked good when he played. A fan could just as well assume Campbell can be a #1.
The numbers he carries lend more to disagree with you here if someone wanted to. What backs up your beliefs that he can’t. I’m really curious. I don’t agree with other than there is no long track record of Campbell.
The guy needs to prove that himself one way or the other no....

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Freddie has faced 35 shots ONCE all season. Every other game has been below 35 shots.

Its not a lot to ask for a better save % than .899.

Spare me the crap that we allow high quality chances... no, we dont allow any more really than any of the other "elite" teams. Our goalie just doesnt stop enough shots. It literally boils down to that.
We have to let more shots through. Fred facing 45 shots a night can let in 4 a game and maintain that save percentage over 900. He would look almost average.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think everybody would want Gibson, just don’t think Anaheim is willing to let him go unless some serious overpayment came their way. While Leafs are quite a deep team they would have to let go off someone in the core and then some to get him.

Anaheim and Toronto always make trades and if Anaheim is going to rebuild, I don’t see how a 6.4M goalie who is 27-28 makes sense for them.

Removing Andersen’s 5M and adding 6.4 isn’t too much of a difference. Kessel’s retention comes off after next year as well.

We will have to end up losing Rielly. I’m okay with that. Love Rielly but he doesn’t know how to play situational hockey. Brodie is always trying to save his ass because he tries to skate right out of the zone before we even get the puck.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I dont understand the criticism of save % when you look at the goals that went in, in that case, the vezina goalie had a tough night yesterday;)
Ya most people just blame the goalie because its an easy scapegoat. But its usually a lazy argument. People don't understand that deflections are pretty much impossible to stop. Sometimes you get lucky and the puck just happens to hit you. Another goal was a screen with a couple guys in front. The Leafs had 22 shots. You won't win too many games if you aren't getting pucks on net.

Having said all that, it is a frustrating when we always seem to play against goalies that put on these crazy performances like Hellebuyck did the other night where it seems impossible to score. We never really get that from Freddy. He now has a .899 sv % on the year on one of the most dominant teams. Campbell has a .951 in 3 games and even Hutch has a .934 in 3 games. Keefe should be starting Campbell when he returns. Sometimes you gotta keep playing your starter and let him work through it but we are way past that and he needs a good kick in the ass till he gets his shit together. Competition and accountability should be good for him. Start Campbell.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
It's not that Andersen is a terrible goalie. He's always been an average goalie who was never considered a top 10 goalie. In the past, he'd have terrible starts, punctuated by decent regular season stretches, and then the penchant to give up backbreaking soft goals in crucial playoff games. The Andersen we're seeing now is a bottom 10 goalie and for a cup-aspriring team that will not do. We need to rectify this via a trade or hope that Campbell is a late-bloomer and give him that chance. Either way, we will not win the Cup regardless of how good our forwards or defence are with Andersen our No. 1.

I need you stats guy to look up the last Stanley Cup winning goalie that had sv% in the 800's during the regular season. I bet it's extremely rare. And if there is, it might have been someone who came up big in big games regardless. We've seen enough of Andersen to know he'll never be that guy.

Reactions: Leafslet

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Its Kyles fault for not bringing in a goaltender this summer. He assumed, better D + better system = better goaltending.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Anaheim and Toronto always make trades and if Anaheim is going to rebuild, I don’t see how a 6.4M goalie who is 27-28 makes sense for them.

Removing Andersen’s 5M and adding 6.4 isn’t too much of a difference. Kessel’s retention comes off after next year as well.

We will have to end up losing Rielly. I’m okay with that. Love Rielly but he doesn’t know how to play situational hockey. Brodie is always trying to save his ass because he tries to skate right out of the zone before we even get the puck.

I agree with John Gibson being a great long term play, but I think we can make Rielly work. If not, maybe it's a Rielly and Muzzin out, Jones in kind of salary re-shuffle after next season.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Its Kyles fault for not bringing in a goaltender this summer. He assumed, better D + better system = better goaltending.

There were definitely a ton of goalie options in the offseason but hopefully expansion will also be a goalie bonanza.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If Campbell was healthy this would be easy. Dubas tells freddy he’s not playing him and We are playing Campbell. He would be in a different dirty p!ssed off frame of mind with that news. I don’t see a market for him so he’s our backup. That works. Get more goalie depth too in the meantime. Thats my final take on it. Keep him as our backup. Campbell might be hurt bad we don’t know. If so Dubas needs to trade for a starting goalie. All around unknown situation just popped up Leafers.
So what t f is the Campbell timeline. This is the biggest need to know right now for fans. They tell us nothing. Wtf

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Season is over if we run with Campbell as our starter. If you're going to replace Freddy it better be with a better goalie. Leafs still give up a ton of high quality chances and there aren't many goalies who will look good trying to stop the chances they give up.
This is completely wrong. Leafs defence has been really good this season.

Reactions: Erndog

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Andersen is 238lbs and 32 years old.... fitness has never been a strong point for him. watched a video on how Anaheim sat him down and had to have a discussion with him about taking fitness seriously.

This should be his last season in the blue and white.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
If teams know we're looking to trade our starting goalie, the optics don't look good for us.

Why would another team want to take our junk?

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
If teams know we're looking to trade our starting goalie, the optics don't look good for us.

Why would another team want to take our junk?

One GMs "trash" is another GMs treasure. Not that I think Andersen is irredeemable, but it may simply be fatigue in the market and what's needed is a change of scenery to revitalize his focus. Arguments from reward aside, there's likely a combination of factors that have affected any number of players -- like the rest of the world in it's present obligations -- similarly. Our management and their trading partner are going to see the middle ground if a trade can be had. And if not, as always, it's addition by subtraction.

I think there's plenty of cause for optimism at the position. Granted it comes on the heels of being a very padded club and a likelihood that we can be opportunistic when opportunity knocks.

Reactions: Carltons Cup

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
Most of those goalies haven't worked out for the other teams either, I'm in the camp of find a short term fix but you have to through money at long term goalie scouting, drafting and development

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
He tried to bring in Lehner and Markstrom and that didn't work out, while Dell was supposed to shore up the depth. If it wasn't for early injuries to Thornton and Robertson, Dell would likely still be here. Even then, Hutchison and Campbell have been excellent in their own right.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015

You think that would get Gibson? I think Anaheim would rather rebuild around him.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I think Leaf scouts wanted to draft Gibson. I dunno guys. I love the Leafs, I love hockey, and I love goalies that can steal some sure goals.

Andersen actually did make such a save last night It was good to see.

His little paddle, slight deflection? Ahh, I gut felt, it was not going to end well.
'
Lets be frank. Winnipeg has some interesting forwards, and even a couple of dmen.

Dubas is pretty craft, be cool to see him build an army of good to very good goalies I think he is more aware of this, than we are.

But GM's are like hedge fund managers, tough to get a good deal, when there is some blood in the water.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad