Player Discussion Anders Nilsson

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Anyone catch what Woodley said about the Isles 'not really believing in goalie coaches, rather just let them figure it out?'

Eeesh.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Anyone catch what Woodley said about the Isles 'not really believing in goalie coaches, rather just let them figure it out?'

Eeesh.

Yeah I just listened to that! (Lowetide interview or was it Gregor?)

Sure gave us a kiss on the ass :D

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It's so nice to see him do well, I've followed him for awhile and was pleased to see Chia take a shot on him. He was a pretty highly touted goalie when he was drafted, though somewhat overshadowed by Markstrom. Then he dealt with his illness and a lot of people wrote him off.

For him to maintain anything close to his recent level of play, a lot of it is going to have to do with the team in front if him. He has to be able to trust his team and have the confidence that they are gonna do their jobs. Likewise the team needs to know that he's not gonna consistently put them behind the eight ball with bad goals and that when it does happen on occasion that he's gonna lock it down from there on out and not fall apart.

All and all, I think we are seeing what Niilsson is capable of and if he can keep it up long enough for Chia to round out the blue line and for Mcllellan to get the team consistently playing well in their own end then we could have a keeper on our hands. I see him as a guy who is a consistent .915 - .920 goalie who will really catch fire and dominate for stretches at times during a season.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Eeesh.

I don't want to say he doesn't know what he's talking about, but Mike Dunham has been their goalie coach since 2008. Dunham was mentored by Mitch Korn(probably the best goalie coach in the league right now), so you have to think he's at least decent at the job too.

Maybe I'm missing something.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I don't want to say he doesn't know what he's talking about, but Mike Dunham has been their goalie coach since 2008. Dunham was mentored by Mitch Korn(probably the best goalie coach in the league right now), so you have to think he's at least decent at the job too.

There are lots of different ways to coach someone. Once you get to that level, you'd assume the goalie knows about as much as you do, so maybe he is more hands off, and assumes if they're doing something wrong, that they're doing it on purpose. The flaw in that obviously being that it's harder to analyze yourself, as you don't see the flaws as well

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
haven't followed the thread much so forgive me it my comment has already bee noted.
I think Nilssons story will have a positive effect on the Oilers going after other players overseas.
He's signed with Edmonton on the promise he'd get a fair shot at a job and playing time in the NHL. The Oilers kept that promise. they didn't give scrivens the job out of loyalty or make Talbot he starter because of the cost of the trade.

Players will know they can get a fair chance if promised one.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
haven't followed the thread much so forgive me it my comment has already bee noted.
I think Nilssons story will have a positive effect on the Oilers going after other players overseas.
He's signed with Edmonton on the promise he'd get a fair shot at a job and playing time in the NHL. The Oilers kept that promise. they didn't give scrivens the job out of loyalty or make Talbot he starter because of the cost of the trade.

Players will know they can get a fair chance if promised one.

We've kinda been doing this for awhile. Granted none have really been that successful, but guys like Joensuu, Belov, Grebeshkov, Petrell, Pakarininen etc. have been given shots to make this club.

I do however wish we had a way to give Horak and Larsen a bit more of a look, but they choose to go to europe.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
We've kinda been doing this for awhile. Granted none have really been that successful, but guys like Joensuu, Belov, Grebeshkov, Petrell, Pakarininen etc. have been given shots to make this club.

I do however wish we had a way to give Horak and Larsen a bit more of a look, but they choose to go to europe.

good point. you're right this is just more noticeable because it's worked out so far.
I also wish Horak would have stuck around

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
good point. you're right this is just more noticeable because it's worked out so far.
I also wish Horak would have stuck around

Of all the guys I'm shocked we didn't try harder to keep him. We were always short at center and could've just gave him a shot at camp and then let him go to the KHL at a later date if it didn't work.

I don't know that he's NHL quality, but he was a younger center with some untapped offensive potential.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Goalies are voodoo. With Nilsson it seems he had some high potential but struggled due to illness. Then he was rock solid in KHL. Thats what makes his recent hot streak a bit different than Scrivens to me. Scrivens was never highly regarded and really only good on a strong LA team, so his hot streak here was flash in the pan

Nilssons hot streak is hopefully him realizing his potential in the NHL and hell keep it up

Funny how the potential starting goalie is found for a BCHL overage 5th round pick

Hopefully when he goes thru a cold stretch, Talbot can step up and play well

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Has anyone noticed that he weighs 230 pounds? He's a beast of a man for a goalie. Same height as Dubnyk, but Dubnyk is a stick man in comparison.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Has anyone noticed that he weighs 230 pounds? He's a beast of a man for a goalie. Same height as Dubnyk, but Dubnyk is a stick man in comparison.

I've noticed he stares down opposition a lot. haha.

Not averse to getting into scrums around the net either.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Nilsson is massive. I wonder if we may have found our goalie AND a protector for our smurfs. Some guy takes liberties with McDavid? No problem; come over here and talk to our goalie. :)

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It sounds like Ari Moisanen helped him a lot last season.

He was one of Ak Bars Kazan's(as well as Finland's national program's) goalie coaches last season.

I'm surprised the support system for goalies is so strong in the KHL. Between Moisanen(15) and Abramov(8), Ak Bars Kazan had 23 years worth of goaltending coach experience in the organization last season.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

And Sudsie Maharaj for awhile as well.... this claim is nonsense.

Last edited:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'm glad Nilsson is healthy and seems to have found his stride in the NHL. With the Islanders he was probably brought in a little too early, still played decent (almost shut out the Devils 2X) then suffered the weird blood disease. Going to Europe was a good move for him, it gave him the opportunity to develop slow at home without competing for playing time with 3 other goalie prospects.

Aceonfire*

I think he's very similar to Dubnyk in a lot of ways. Let's just hope he doesn't have the same fate...

Eh, I don't really see Dubnyk in his style.

He is a Hybrid goalie with a decent glove but he loves to swallow pucks up. He likes to use his whole body to make saves. He doesn't give up a ton of rebounds either and is solid in the shootout.

He isn't overly aggressive in playing the puck.

In a way he reminds me of Thomas.

Thomas was hard to mentally beat. He was very cool and collected but would make you pay for crowding his crease.

Nilsson doesn't rattle easily. Aside from the Washington game, he hasn't really struggled.

He controls rebounds the way Thomas does. Their stance is different but I see the similarities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad