Player Discussion Anders Nilsson

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Apologies if there is already a thread on him. Skimmed back a few pages and did a search but couldn't find one.

Thought he had an excellent game tonight and has been relatively solid in his games this season and apart from the first Caps game, he has always given the team a chance to win. Really think he is going to get better the more he plays as well it seems like the team plays better in front of him then Talbot which is huge.

Last edited by a moderator:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Needs to work on his consistency but he's certainly getting the job done more nights than not. Great pickup for sure.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Excellent game tonight, I'll give credit. Seemed to be frustrating the caps.

Form look better tonight and it looked like he was avoiding going down into his butterfly set or at least delaying it as much as possible. I thought in the previous caps game he was down too much. Looks like some adjustments have been made.

McDeathbyCheerios*

It's weird. I expected him to be decent to good, I didnt expect Talbot to be losing the starter job.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Considering it's only November, I still don't know how this turns out.

Don't think giving up on Talbot is the right thing yet, but Nilsson is getting closer to locking things down.

When we got Talbot, I promised not to make any decision on him until at least January 1. For now, Nilsson is taking the reigns though.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Strong game from Nilsson. Up to a .908 on the year. I said before the season if we got consistent .910-.915 goaltending we'd be OK.

Our record isn't exactly kind to us right now but this team is so damned close to good. The remaining games on this trip will be telling.

Heck the next ten should be a good barometer of where this team stands.

Carolina, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Boston, Dallas, Buffalo, San Jose, NYR, Boston. I'd hope for 12-14 points out of that.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Our record isn't exactly kind to us right now but this team is so damned close to good. The remaining games on this trip will be telling.

Heck the next ten should be a good barometer of where this team stands.

Carolina, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Boston, Dallas, Buffalo, San Jose, NYR, Boston. I'd hope for 12-14 points out of that.

I think the Oilers are closing in on being mediocre/average rather than "good".

They can't really compete yet in a full game... finding ways to let up for a period (and often more) and they make mistakes and let teams eek out 1 goal wins. They often have poor energy in their starts and/or weak finishes where games slip away. That's not a team that's close to good.

I think they are battling to try and get to average and it's an uphill battle... but they are getting there.

In any stretch of 10 games, I still wouldn't expect any more than 10 pts. Their ceiling right now I think is basically at best a .500 team which will probably keep them 10-15 pts out of a wildcard spot.. a definite improvement over last season when they were 30+ pts out.. but still a long ways to go to be good.

Nilsson hopefully can continue to be solid and I agree... if the goaltending can get to 91%+... especially when McDavid comes back... this team can finally start heading in the right direction more consistently.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Form look better tonight and it looked like he was avoiding going down into his butterfly set or at least delaying it as much as possible. I thought in the previous caps game he was down too much. Looks like some adjustments have been made.

I went back and watched a few games of his from early in the season and he did tend to go down early. I think it has a lot to do with the fact he is a bigger goalie and so he would rather take away the bottom half of the net and challenge shooters to go high. He's so big that only really skilled shooters can get it over his frame and upstairs.

One thing I believe he really needs to work on is rebound control. He's very good at moving laterally and squaring up to shooters as we saw a few times tonight. But once he makes that first save he has a real bad habit of putting those rebounds into dangerous areas and if there isn't defender to clear it out of harms way he;s scrambling to make the secondary save.

Also he needs to be a little more careful when playing the puck. He almost got caught tonight, got himself into a puck battle along the boards with a Caps player and had to take the body :laugh:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oilers are actually doing well with their shooting pct this season... 9.6% accuracy (prior to tonight).

Goaltending is letting them down with a team sv rate of under 90%... but logically if they can score on close to 10% of their shots... and save 90% of their shots faced... that's pretty much the definition of an average club (100 PDO).

Then it's just making sure they don't get badly outshot in games or those percentages don't mean a whole lot. So far they've only been outshot by less than 10 shots this season through 21 games... so that's also a solid step in the right direction.

It must literally be close to a decade since the Oilers outshot their opponents through a full season of play so progress is being made slowly but surely.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Nilsson seems to slowly being making progress. I'm not sold on him being a long term solution, but he's the best option we have right now.

Hopefully Talbot can put together a couple strong outings to boost his confidence. I imagine he'll get a game or 2 on this trip.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
there is no question that Nilsson is #1 right now and it appears as though he was a great find by our (new?) pro scouts. he appeared to be as fully developed as he was going to get after a 19 game stint with the then bad Isles, and 3 full seasons in the AHL and 1 great year in the KHL. these are the kinds of finds that the old pro scouts couldn't seem to come up with and hence were rightfully fired because of it.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Agreed 100%. I was really happy seeing him play like he did the first couple of pre seasons games. Went down much less often. I was somewhat schooled while Scrivens was here on how going down so much affects the game. Scrivens was a great learning experience for me on what to look for regarding flopping around...now it's something I key on with all the goalies.

I know you're a bit of a Scrivens supporter, but he was the one that brought it to light the most for me. This wasn't any type of a shot at your earlier posts this year at all.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Talbot is better than his last few games, but Nilsson is definitely looking like the better goalie right now. His mobility issues we saw earlier seem have just been a bad game

McDeathbyCheerios*

Nilsson starts again tomorrow.

Looks like he has so far won the starting job.

McDeathbyCheerios*

As he should. He's only given up a pair of goals and he was really good last night.
The Washington game the first time hurt his stats a lot, same with some of the ridiculous defensive brain farts but he has been better than Talbot.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I went back and watched a few games of his from early in the season and he did tend to go down early. I think it has a lot to do with the fact he is a bigger goalie and so he would rather take away the bottom half of the net and challenge shooters to go high. He's so big that only really skilled shooters can get it over his frame and upstairs.

One thing I believe he really needs to work on is rebound control. He's very good at moving laterally and squaring up to shooters as we saw a few times tonight. But once he makes that first save he has a real bad habit of putting those rebounds into dangerous areas and if there isn't defender to clear it out of harms way he;s scrambling to make the secondary save.

Also he needs to be a little more careful when playing the puck. He almost got caught tonight, got himself into a puck battle along the boards with a Caps player and had to take the body :laugh:

Nice post, agree with everything here and great to have a balanced perspective on the player and pros and cons. The pro would be he continues to not shoot himself and the team in the foot. He also did a much better job like I say assessing the play. When he assessed that a pass across was inevitable he wasn't going down. His mobility is fine when he's on his feet. When he goes down into the butterfly he's committed and vulnerable to pass across. He was doing a good job assessing situationally.

The con is that not having mobility while down is still an issue and limits his efficacy. If you notice he's also awkward getting back up. instead springing up with both legs like elite NHL goalies do he goes one leg up at a time. Watch for it. I know he's big but he needs to be more mobile in this league. You need to be able to spring back in an instant. He's going to get caught sometimes in transition of getting back up.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Nice post, agree with everything here and great to have a balanced perspective on the player and pros and cons. The pro would be he continues to not shoot himself and the team in the foot. He also did a much better job like I say assessing the play. When he assessed that a pass across was inevitable he wasn't going down. His mobility is fine when he's on his feet. When he goes down into the butterfly he's committed and vulnerable to pass across. He was doing a good job assessing situationally.

The con is that not having mobility while down is still an issue and limits his efficacy. If you notice he's also awkward getting back up. instead springing up with both legs like elite NHL goalies do he goes one leg up at a time. Watch for it. I know he's big but he needs to be more mobile in this league. You need to be able to spring back in an instant. He's going to get caught sometimes in transition of getting back up.
That spring up thing is at least something he can work on in the gym and in training. He seems to know what to do but just doesn't have the body strength to do it yet. He has gotten better at it as the year has gone on. He seems like a guy who notices his mistakes and tries to fix them with effort.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He has earned the right to keep starting, other than one game I don't recall him gassing games like Talbot was doing.

At the very least it is good to have a reasonable alternative to the guy who was supposed to be the starter. I think Talbot will come around sooner or later but he might be just like Dubnyk when he was here. Pretty good when not asked to carry the load but terrible as the defacto starter.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Not to take away anything from Nilssons game last night...and maybe this would be suited for the Post Game thread. But comparing the 1st Capitals game to this one, our D really held the middle of the ice a hella lot better than that 1st game debacle, like 80% better in my opinion. That helped to contribute to a bit of Nilssons success last night, but he no doubt held the fort like a #1 should. I found myself saying "where did we find this guy, I'm sooooo happy" a number of times in last night's tilt.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not to take away anything from Nilssons game last night...and maybe this would be suited for the Post Game thread. But comparing the 1st Capitals game to this one, our D really held the middle of the ice a hella lot better than that 1st game debacle, like 80% better in my opinion. That helped to contribute to a bit of Nilssons success last night, but he no doubt held the fort like a #1 should. I found myself saying "where did we find this guy, I'm sooooo happy" a number of times in last night's tilt.

We were actually stopping a lot of the passes across. Did really well intercepting passes.

Caps are all like: "hey this is the Oilers, this schizzle is supposed to work:rant:" ;)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That spring up thing is at least something he can work on in the gym and in training. He seems to know what to do but just doesn't have the body strength to do it yet. He has gotten better at it as the year has gone on. He seems like a guy who notices his mistakes and tries to fix them with effort.

That kind of jump up takes concerted training. Usually an offseason thing. I can't see a big guy making that much progress on that movement in regular season. Specially if he's playing every game. Which leads to another surprise. I kind of thought his focus waned after consecutive starts but he's not showing significant lapse in concentration.

Still, I would rther he have a good to great game against Carolina than teams we are unlikely to get points out of.

McDeathbyCheerios*

That kind of jump up takes concerted training. Usually an offseason thing. I can't see a big guy making that much progress on that movement in regular season. Specially if he's playing every game. Which leads to another surprise. I kind of thought his focus waned after consecutive starts but he's not showing significant lapse in concentration.

Still, I would rther he have a good to great game against Carolina than teams we are unlikely to get points out of.
He played a lot in the KHL so he is used to a lot of starts.

It does take a lot of work and effort to fix. However it's much easier then having bad fundamentals. He knows what to do his body just isn't doing it yet. I bet that drives him nuts. If he has a similar personality to Drai and wants this bad, then I could see him adapting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad