Player Discussion Anders Nilsson

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Eh, I don't really see Dubnyk in his style.

He is a Hybrid goalie with a decent glove but he loves to swallow pucks up. He likes to use his whole body to make saves. He doesn't give up a ton of rebounds either and is solid in the shootout.

He isn't overly aggressive in playing the puck.

In a way he reminds me of Thomas.

Thomas was hard to mentally beat. He was very cool and collected but would make you pay for crowding his crease.

Nilsson doesn't rattle easily. Aside from the Washington game, he hasn't really struggled.

He controls rebounds the way Thomas does. Their stance is different but I see the similarities.

Thomas was a hyper-aggressive goalie who would anticipate and attack on opponent rushes. So much so he would give up some really funny goals at times, over anticipating or anticipating the wrong play.

Don't really see that in Nilsson's game.

He actually reminds me of Holtby in terms of how calm and composed he is.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Any goalie he stylistically he compares to?

Might be kind of out of left field, but I feel like he looks a lot like a bigger Michal Neuvirth.

I haven't watched him much since his Washington days, but I loved watching him then.

Calm, amazing economy of movement and always made himself big in the net.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Lets get this back on track.

Any goalie he stylistically he compares to?

he reminds me of luongo, big body, covers the bottom of the net, athletic enough to make big saves but his style is effective to not exert huge amounts of energy. 2 shuffles steps and he is ppost to post. seems to thrive when facing more shots. reminds me of luongo in his first stint in florida.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
a swedish goalie stealing games for the oilers?

lets hope he doesnt get domed in the olympics

RIP Tommy

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
^ You didn't like the link I posted two posts up lol, maybe I am on his ignore list :naughty:

Oops..missed that...sorry Hillman. :)

Maybe that gives the posters who are using browsers that dont format the embedded twitter links correctly an opportunity to view it.

Yeah...thats what I was thinking. ;)

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Hey Guys, Is Talbot Droppable in fantasy? I have Nillson and Talbot but I also have ramo, luongo and smith.

Is Nillson clearly the number 1?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey Guys, Is Talbot Droppable in fantasy? I have Nillson and Talbot but I also have ramo, luongo and smith.

Unless his play drops off he should be the #1. Talbot will get chances to show himself though so if he starts catching fire and Nilsson cools off it could flip flop. My money's on Nilsson though.

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
There's a comprehensive article/interview today in one of the local newspapers (nsd.se) in Nilssons home town Lulea, Sweden. It's subscribers-only locked and in Swedish, but here's a translation. I'm lazy so it's Google Translate with only some of the worst errors corrected, hope you appreciate it anyway:

"EDMONTON / ICE HOCKEY Hockey metropolis Edmonton has been languishing in the bottom of the table in recent years. But now the team is rebuilding and part of that commitment, Lulea son Anders Nilsson as a success in the proceedings and hailed by the North American expert commentators. "It's great that it goes well with hockey, and we thrive in Edmonton. It almost feels like home, and the Canadians are like northerners [=people from Northern Sweden, that is], "he says smiling.

Hockey Interested Edmonton residents (and it is almost all in Edmonton for this is hockey religion) gets teary-eyed when they recall the Edmonton Oilers golden years in the 80s and 90s with "The Great One", Wayne Gretzky. But the glory days are over long ago and the team has struggled at around last place for several years.
This season, however, the team has worked hard and positive change has been marked. A new arena's being built for almost three billion [SEK] and will be completed in the next season. Oilers acquired also for this season the 18-year-old super talent Connor McDavid, as the lyrical hockey experts have called a new Gretzky. Another solicitation, before this season, which turned out really well, Anders Nilsson, 25, with roots in Lulea and a goalkeeper past in Lulea Hockey as well as the national team.

Nilsson made a successful effort in the Oilers jersey and on several occasions saved his team from loss by crucial saves. As of this writing the club management not yet officially stated who is the team's first goalkeeper, Anders Nilsson or colleague Cam Talbot.
So far in the season, it is Nilsson, who has been entrusted in most games, and in an interview recently beat Oilers coach Todd McLellan, stated Nilsson makes a great effort and is well located ("awfully close") to become the team's permanent first choice.
Anders Nilsson is not worried that he has not officially given the title of first goalkeeper.
- No, I'm used to it that way. In Kazan I shared the games with my Russian colleague throughout the regular season. But in the playoffs, I got to play most matches.
He thinks it is an advantage not to have a clearly defined first goalkeeper.
- In that way you are always on your toes and do their best. It may be dangerous to feel secure as first goalkeeper. Then perhaps we subconsciously relaxes and in the same way it can be negative to end up in the role as second goalkeeper. It can lower the motivation and do not to give everything in training if you feel that you still can not get to play.
Anders Nilsson is humble despite his success and he is grateful that he gets as much play time.
- You get a completely different flow and it is easier to maintain a high level if you get to play much. It gets to a good rhythm and the mental part works better. It has gone really well lately but I take nothing for granted. It can turn quickly and the ball can bounce the other way. Cam Talbot is a really good goalkeeper and if I make a bad match, so it may be he who takes over. It is obviously a strength for the team to have two good goalkeepers, and the level is so high on the goalkeeper side in the NHL that is actually needed, he says.

Many of the North American expert commentators gave Anders Nilsson, a large share of the credit for the Edmonton Oilers success this season.
- Sure goalie's important for the team, much like a quarterback in American football. But in the same way that a good goalkeeper can rescue team also the other players can give invaluable help to the goalie from having a bad day. It's a team game and although individual players can play an important role, everyone in the team work together.

When Anders Nilsson are asked to describe the differences between the NHL and KHL (where he played last season), he says:
- In the Russian league, players are definitely individual technically more proficient. Here it is more blue collar effort and quick releases without so much show. But I prefer the smaller rinks in the NHL. The game gets faster and tighter. I feel more involved. It suits me better.

Anders Nilsson's not the only Swede in the Edmonton Oilers. Hill Oscar Klefbom and striker Anton Lander is also part of the team.
- I know Oscar from the national team and Anton from the junior team and it's great to have Swedish players that you already know in the team, both on the ice and off, he says.
Nilsson has a one-year contract with the club. What happens after this season he does not know.
- I try to focus on one game at a time. Sure, I want to continue to play in the NHL, but you can not determine the future.
Before this season, there were rumors that you were on your way back to Lulea Hockey. What do you say about that?
- Lulea Hockey is the club in my heart, my home club. That's where I dreamed to play when I was a kid. Lulea is home. This is where I have my roots, my family and my relatives. Certainly I hope to return there one day. But Lulea is still there and I want to take the chance to play at this level when I have the opportunity. I do not want to sit that old and regret that I did not take the chances I got.

Lulea is thus still at home despite the international peripatetic existence as a professional hockey player. Therefore, Anders Nilsson and his partner Fernanda Nilsson recently bought a house in Lulea.
- It is our home in Lulea and certainly the idea is that we will eventually live there permanently, says Nilsson.
But right now home not only for him and his partner Fernanda, but also for the son Mio, five months, a rented apartment on the 19th floor of a newly built apartment building in the center of the city of Edmonton.
Anders Nilsson thrive not only with existence on the ice right now.
Both he and Fernanda has found itself well to the right in Edmonton.
- It actually feels very much at home. The climate is as home with real winter, and people here are down to earth and nice. Actually the Canadians here are just as northerners [in Sweden, again my comment]. The attitude is not at all like in New York, says Anders Nilsson, and is backed by his partner on this statement. /Ulf Persson"

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Nilsson is the #1 but that's risky. Both are not firmly established NHL starters and so the job will always be in question. Talbot has high end potential still and could steal the job. Nilsson has the advantage

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Nope... I would hang on to Talbot.
He will get all the chances to take the #1 job. Should be starting the next couple games over Nilsson IMO.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

I'd avoid both guys. The Oilers are still not a very good team, despite the little win streak, and the goalie stats will suffer.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So Nillson has looked really ordinary in his last 3 starts and Talbot just played a better game than many all but one game Nillson has played all year. looks like Talbot should be getting some starts.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don't see anything from Dub in Nilsson.

He is certainly his own goalie in appearance and style but the guy he reminds me of the most is certainly Holtby.

Nilsson has only been average the last 3 games but it needs to be stressed that 2 of those 3 were wins and he also still fell well within the "gave a chance for the team to win" range even in his one loss.

I would start Talbot next game primarily because he played as well as he did in his last appearance. But make no mistake, Nilsson is the starter at the moment. I know McLellan has gone dark on the subject and does not want to name someone the starter but Nilsson has earned, played like, and is the Edmonton Oilers starting goalie.

If Talbot absolutely steals a game from Chicago or Avs... That would call into question who is the starter and who should start in the crease for the Avs game.

If Talbot gets a win where he lets in another softie like he has on far too many occasions this year... He would still be the back up in my mind and I would go right back to playing our starter.

Talbot just has not shown enough in comparison to rationally put him in over Nillson. Talbot is in the exact situation Nillson was in for awhile, he has to prove he is the guy with limited opportunities. I hope anyways, that before we are even considering a goalie split situation that Nilsson is given the same/similar opportunity Talbot was shown at the beginning of the year.

I should actually clarify that last statement. Talbot was given too much leeway and it cost the Oilers points. I hope they don't go too far in their support of Nilsson, like they did Cam, but I hope he gets more starts than Talbot barring something magical.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Looking forward to seeing Nilsson back in net again. I was a big fan of the Talbot signing but so far this year I feel way more confident with Nilsson in net, and the results in terms of wins and losses seem to agree.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Looking forward to seeing Nilsson back in net again. I was a big fan of the Talbot signing but so far this year I feel way more confident with Nilsson in net, and the results in terms of wins and losses seem to agree.

The team does seem to play harder for Nilsson. It's unfortunate for Talbot, but it's true. Anders has won over the room and the team. That big, affable fellow gives the team that confidence, that realization that while he's back there, they have a chance to win. I can't imagine how good that feels to the rest of the lineup after the past few seasons of atrocious netminding.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Talbot can't be blamed for last night's loss either, as he was solid enough (and the team scored 0 goals of course) but somehow even when Nilsson plays a weak game the team seems to play better in front of him, like you said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad