Player Discussion Anders Nilsson

McDeathbyCheerios*

I love that he is smart when playing the puck.

After the abortion that Scrivens was, god has answered my prayers.

He stops nearly every ring around and either leaves it for his dman behind the net or plays it to the dman in the corner. What a novel idea...Our professor could never figure that out.

If he decides to do more it is always high off the glass to get it by the first forechecker...:handclap:
Soemtimes the way he plays the puck I wonder if he spent some time as a d man.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
So what are the thoughts on Nilssons possible next contract? If he continues his current level of play and maintains around top 15-20 gaa and save pct. for the rest of the season I'm thinking maybe somewhere in the realm of 3m x 2 years. He's been playing very well recently but I think there should obviously be some consistency shown over a period of 120+ starts before there is any talk of big money or term. If he can bring a ~.920 for the rest of the year and next season +, then the team can look at giving him a 6m x 5 or whatever the going rate for .920 starters is now. He would be 28 at the beginning of that contract.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
So what are the thoughts on Nilssons possible next contract? If he continues his current level of play and maintains around top 15-20 gaa and save pct. for the rest of the season I'm thinking maybe somewhere in the realm of 3m x 2 years. He's been playing very well recently but I think there should obviously be some consistency shown over a period of 120+ starts before there is any talk of big money or term. If he can bring a ~.920 for the rest of the year and next season +, then the team can look at giving him a 6m x 5 or whatever the going rate for .920 starters is now. He would be 28 at the beginning of that contract.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I'd also be okay with a ~4.5 x 1 deal, another "prove it" type contract where it's "okay you did good last year so here's a nice chunk of change if you can do it again we will give you term". If he does awesome we have a starter, if he doesn't then we aren't on the hook.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I'd also be okay with a ~4.5 x 1 deal, another "prove it" type contract where it's "okay you did good last year so here's a nice chunk of change if you can do it again we will give you term". If he does awesome we have a starter, if he doesn't then we aren't on the hook.

Two year deal seems better to me. Give him a little security and the chance to prove himself.

We've still got Talbot as an option so no reason to go overboard on Nilsson's deal.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Thank god for Nilsson. Scrivens allowed 3 goals so far in 11 minutes played in the 1st down on the farm.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The problem with doing a 4.5millb1 way contract is unless you go to arbitration, you have to pay him more the following year. Do it at 2.5-3 for a few years, use the rfa status to our advantage

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
He's going to be an rfa, correct? He might not break the bank. There's still a lot of games left too. I doubt he gets much more than 3 per.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Thank god for Nilsson. Scrivens allowed 3 goals so far in 11 minutes played in the 1st down on the farm.
5.15 0.827 I believe that is before todays 4 goals on 11 shots......he is sub .800 sv% and probably over 6gaa after today.....in contrast brossoit is at 930sv%.....what an unmitigated disaster.... thank god we still have these talent bird dogs(mact and howson) in the organization...:facepalm:....

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
5.15 0.827 I believe that is before todays 4 goals on 11 shots......he is sub .800 sv% and probably over 6gaa after today.....in contrast brossoit is at 930sv%.....what an unmitigated disaster.... thank god we still have these talent bird dogs(mact and howson) in the organization...:facepalm:....
Yeah those are his stats before this game. After today he'll be at 5.65 GAA and .812 sv% in six games.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
4 goals on 11 shots in 20 minutes of play. It is too bad we don't have that sort of veteran presence up on the big club losing games for us like last year.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Yeah those are his stats before this game. After today he'll be at 5.65 GAA and .812 sv% in six games.

Can they send him to the east coast league? He has clearly given up. After all the **** he talked in the press the last couple years this is truly pathetic.

Last edited:

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
Can they send him to the east coast league? He has clearly given up. After all the **** he talk in the press the last couple years this is truly pathetic.

Only if he consents. They gotta do something though. LB can't play every game, and as it stands right now, any game he doesn't play is a 4+ GA ****show.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Nilsson has only played 15 games and has played really well for the last 4-5. Not a lot of prior NHL history, and most of it pedestrian. And now talk of an extended contract. Only on HFB's.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I want him to do well, but really??:amazed:Some of the comments on here amaze me at times. Might want to get a slightly larger sample size before opening up the vault and commitment.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
The problem with doing a 4.5millb1 way contract is unless you go to arbitration, you have to pay him more the following year. Do it at 2.5-3 for a few years, use the rfa status to our advantage

Mmm true never thought about that. The multi year lower hit would be my first choice for sure.

SaskOilers

Jan 6, 2009
Nilsson has only played 15 games and has played really well for the last 4-5. Not a lot of prior NHL history, and most of it pedestrian. And now talk of an extended contract. Only on HFB's.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I want him to do well, but really??:amazed:Some of the comments on here amaze me at times. Might want to get a slightly larger sample size before opening up the vault and commitment.

What could go wrong?:laugh:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Lets let him play a large sample size and then discuss contract.

Yep. Even though I think Nilsson legit, remember what happened with Potter: he looked like a top 4 Dman early on, got signed to a 3 year deal, and then had his play fall off.

Hell, even Scrivens is a good(bad?) example.

The Oiler's are in a good situation here. He's RFA at the end of the year so he can't walk. Plus there's two other goalies in the organization that are highly valued (Brossoit and Talbot, though he is UFA), so Anders hasn't got the a ton of leverage here.

If he puts up 50 games with a ~.920 SV, then I'd give him a duplicate of the Scrivens contract (2.3 for 2 years). Considering he'll be with the team for the entire season, he'll be a little more proven in this situation than Ben was, but still not so in terms of NHL play). If he has even better stats, than a contract similar to Fasth (2.9 over 2 years).

Lack would be another good comparison. (2.75mil for 2 years for 41 games and a .921SV)

Personally, I wouldn't go for 1 year show me contract at a high cap hit. As I see it, there's no good option for the team the following year. Either he bombs but still needs a high qualifying offer; or he puts up another good season and is in line to ask for another raise. Call it the Justin Schultz predicament.
Plus, I think it put's too much pressure on the situation (see Ramo this season). Though that's not to say Lack's doing any better....

Man, goalies are a fickle :laugh:

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014

Hence why it was mentioned that we should see probably another season + after this one before anything with term. He's at 1m now and just saying that you can't give him 1x1 again assuming he continues as is.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hence why it was mentioned that we should see probably another season + after this one before anything with term. He's at 1m now and just saying that you can't give him 1x1 again assuming he continues as is.

I just think it's WAY too early to be even THINKING about contracts for this player.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Yep. Even though I think Nilsson legit, remember what happened with Potter: he looked like a top 4 Dman early on, got signed to a 3 year deal, and then had his play fall off.

Hell, even Scrivens is a good(bad?) example.

The Oiler's are in a good situation here. He's RFA at the end of the year so he can't walk. Plus there's two other goalies in the organization that are highly valued (Brossoit and Talbot, though he is UFA), so Anders hasn't got the a ton of leverage here.

If he puts up 50 games with a ~.920 SV, then I'd give him a duplicate of the Scrivens contract (2.3 for 2 years). Considering he'll be with the team for the entire season, he'll be a little more proven in this situation than Ben was, but still not so in terms of NHL play). If he has even better stats, than a contract similar to Fasth (2.9 over 2 years).

Lack would be another good comparison. (2.75mil for 2 years for 41 games and a .921SV)

Personally, I wouldn't go for 1 year show me contract at a high cap hit. As I see it, there's no good option for the team the following year. Either he bombs but still needs a high qualifying offer; or he puts up another good season and is in line to ask for another raise. Call it the Justin Schultz predicament.
Plus, I think it put's too much pressure on the situation (see Ramo this season). Though that's not to say Lack's doing any better....

Man, goalies are a fickle :laugh:
When did Potter sign a 3-year deal? That's news to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad