Anders Lee Gets Kronwalled

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The funniest thing is nobody comments on the play that was actually dirty, which was Bailey's slew foot on Kronwall minutes later.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I love in Kronwall threads how easy it is to tell which posters are fans of teams with players that have gotten destroyed by Kronwall before. Even the ones like a decade ago, there's still so much salt lol.

Reactions: newfy and johan f

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Islander fan here. That was a beautiful shoulder on shoulder hit. Wish there were more of these in the game and Kronwall does it about as good as anyone. Boychuk leveled a Rick Nash with a similar open ice hit just a couple of days ago. The hit just looks worse than it actually was because Lee got cut by his own visor or the follow through of Kronwall's arm. In fact, looking at the video again Kronwall was jarred by the hit almost as bad as Lee. Lee is a big boy. No malicious intent observed. Lee should know better than to skate up the middle of the ice with his head down. As for fighting, don't let anyone fool you- it's absolutely part of the game and can be a viable strategy to get a team going. Just because it leads to a penalty doesn't mean it's not part of the game. Tripping someone on a breakaway to prevent a goal is part of the game and could be a sound strategy, but it might cost you a penalty or penalty shot. So for those claiming that Kronwall refuses to fight because its not part of the game- that's just silly. He's just chickun! The thing I love about Boychuk, is he answers the bell everytime after he throws a big hit, usually to a detriment of his foolish opponent. Haven't seen him fight in a while, he's surprisingly very good at it. Looking at past videos, he just destroys his opponents just like he destroyed Abdelkader last night. Good stuff!

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 Savage

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
This is a tough one. I don’t think Kronwall intended to get him in the face but because Lee put himself in that position and had his head down that’s wear the contact was. Still but the rules it should have been a penalty.

Shoulder directly to face.

Kronwall is the best at those hits. And the majority of them are always clean.
Thing is, Lee didn't suddenly put his head down it was already there therefore, Kronwall should have made sure to hit shoulder or body or not made the hit at all. Penalty should have been called.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Thing is, Lee didn't suddenly put his head down it was already there therefore, Kronwall should have made sure to hit shoulder or body or not made the hit at all. Penalty should have been called.

You don't "call your shot" when you hit someone. You throw a body check by getting in the way of your opponent's center mass so that you perform the exact function that a body check is done for - to separate the player from the puck.

Sometimes the player has their chin tucked. That shouldn't make them off-limits for receiving a body check.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
It was a clean hit.

It was also the play of the game for the Islanders. It woke up them up, they played like an angry bear for the rest of the game and came back from 0-2 to win a game that they likely wouldn't have otherwise.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Big, clean hit. Kronwall still has it. This one might be in his top 5 actually, Lee is huge and strong and got blown up bad

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
People are confusing the terms legal vs. clean. Kronwall's check was legal within the rules sure, but clean? f*** no. The common elements in every "Kronwalling" is his choice to unload into an unsuspecting player. He crosses over backwards until spotting an opponent with his head down and then moves in for the strike. I know a lot of fans love seeing it but it's absolutely a predatory hit.

This has been debated multiple times on the Wings board. I'm shocked he's never been attacked with punches for his recklessness. As said, I also always found it weird he doesn't mind potentially ending someone's career but is afraid to throw down and answer for his actions.

Reactions: sabremike

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
He has been...

Or Lee could've kept his head up and it never would've been part of the contact.

Going back to what I said at the start of this thread, only on HFBoards can a 6' 0" guy hit a 6' 3" guy and it's the 6' 0" guy's fault that the head was contacted.
I know what your logic is getting at, but lets say a short player like say, Steve Downie, hits a taller player, say Dean McCammond. The head is contacted. Now is all of the responsibility on McCammond to have his head up, or does some of the responsibility to not hit the head rest with Downie and not launching into the hit?

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)
enhance

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It’s not 2006 anymore

Also he could’ve thrown a hip check and caught him just as off guard

What on earth does this have to do with anything? One of the cardinal rules of hockey is, "KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!" They learn this way back when they are 3 years old! If you hit shoulder and then bounce into the head, that is not something that shouldn't be allowed. All of Kronwall's motions in this hit are legal, and a proper, and if Lee had done what is expected when you have the puck, and keep his head up, no head contact would have even happened on this play. When we nitpick about head contact, pretty soon players will just not be allowed to hit anymore, and the league will have All Star games, minus the all star lineups, and that would be terrible. Accidental contact with the head is going to happen in a contact sport, and this by league standards is a clean, legal hit. And by fan standards, it is an AMAZING AWESOME HIT. If Boychuk caught Larkin with this same hit, I would be saying the same thing, as it would be a beauty!

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
That's meaningless, if you are in a position to throw a hit but you will make contact with the head YOU CAN'T THROW THAT HIT. There are numerous effective plays you can make instead. Headshots just can't happen today, I don't care if it makes people who love wanton violence cry.
With all due respect if you have a problem with this hit maybe a non-contact sport is more to your liking

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

NO, just no! Even the guy who received the hit, Anders Lee, said it was a good hit, and called it hockey! If it was a bad hit, no way he says this, not like him and Kronwall are friends and he is trying to protect his friend from looking bad.

Also want to point out, hockey players don't have Red Dead Redemption 2 Dead Eye when lining up a hit, and can then choose to execute or not execute. It is split second decision made at high speed. It is easy for us, even when there are dirty hits, to sit here and look at a 1000 slow motion replays and pick each hit apart. Players don't have this luxury, and even good intention hits, can go bad, and can sometimes be dirty.

Reality is, and some don't want to believe it, but if this bellyaching over clean hits doesn't stop, they will simply ban hitting eventually. I am being honest here, I would legit not be surprised if hitting gets banned within the next 10 years, because all the whiners and moaners are growing and raising hoopla over nothing. Hitting is already much lower than they used to be. If and when that happens, I and many many others (probably at least 65%+ of all fans) will no longer watch this great physical game called hockey!

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
With all due respect if you have a problem with this hit maybe a non-contact sport is more to your liking
99.5% of hits in the league don't make contact to the head. Those I have no problem with. Know why? Bones and ligaments can heal, the brain can't. And to everyone who does the whole macho/old time hockey act know what those players from back then did? They sued the league.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Anybody remember when the DOPS said that most of Stevens hits wouldnt be suspension worthy?

No one?

Ok.

Remember folks, a hit can have head contact and still be legal in this league.
Got an example of 'legal headcheck'? Unseen,uncalled,debatable...maybe. It's my understanding that 'Headshots' are illegal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad