Anders Lee Gets Kronwalled

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Depends on how you define "headshot"
No ,it really doesn't. Targeting the head,even incidental contact with the head thay results in injury,hitting a player from behind to cause his head to hit the boards,it really puts the responsibility on the 'hitter' to make sure there is no head trauma as a result of body contact. Difficult to do in such a fast paced environment,but the league will penalize ,fine ,and suspend if not conscientious of another players well being.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No ,it really doesn't. Targeting the head,even incidental contact with the head thay results in injury,hitting a player from behind to cause his head to hit the boards,it really puts the responsibility on the 'hitter' to make sure there is no head trauma as a result of body contact. Difficult to do in such a fast paced environment,but the league will penalize ,fine ,and suspend if not conscientious of another players well being.

So by your definition, this Kronwall hit was illegal. Yet it wasn't. So clearly you aren't right here. Not all "headshots" (defined by you as hits that make any contact with the head) are illegal. And they shouldn't be. And this hit is the perfect example of when contact with the head should (and is) legal.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
So by your definition, this Kronwall hit was illegal. Yet it wasn't. So clearly you aren't right here. Not all "headshots" (defined by you as hits that make any contact with the head) are illegal. And they shouldn't be. And this hit is the perfect example of when contact with the head should (and is) legal.
I didn't think Kronwall targeted the head ,as Auston was in the process of reaching around him. The result was unfortunate,but not really a good example of what you are trying to point out. Like it or don't, head injuries have become the focal point of the league. All head trauma actions are scrutinized...period. Even if the Ref misses it ,the league will look at it. Almost impossible to get away with an 'excuse me' kinda head shot.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
99.5% of hits in the league don't make contact to the head. Those I have no problem with. Know why? Bones and ligaments can heal, the brain can't. And to everyone who does the whole macho/old time hockey act know what those players from back then did? They sued the league.
No doubt there are numerous cases where a players recovery was mismanaged and deserved a settlement

Many of these same macho/old time hockey players are also now in positions with teams as Presidents/GMs/Coaches where they can affect rule changes and they have ruled this is a text book bodycheck on a player putting himself in a vulnerable position, even the player himself has agreed he was dumb

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Great hit by kronwall. Unfortunate for Lee that he got blown up like that but he has to keep his head up.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
I certainly miss the days when a good, clean hit was simply acknowledged as such by the players receiving the hit, and even his team, and the game simply went on its merry way, rather than this pointless obsession these days into needing the guy that performed said hit to drop his gloves in response.

It's still hilarious & sad at the same time to see how many hits of Kronwall's over the years result in the other guy charging after Kronwall to get him to fight, as if the entire league doesn't know he's not a fighter nor has ever had the reputation of being a dirty player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddbob and Lomez

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I know what your logic is getting at, but lets say a short player like say, Steve Downie, hits a taller player, say Dean McCammond. The head is contacted. Now is all of the responsibility on McCammond to have his head up, or does some of the responsibility to not hit the head rest with Downie and not launching into the hit?

If he launches then it's charging in the first place, lol.

Which, mind you, is what some people have argued in Kronwall's previous hits. That obviously didn't happen here, though.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I certainly miss the days when a good, clean hit was imply acknowledged as such by the players receiving the hit, and even his team, and the game simply went on its merry way, rather than this pointless obsession these days into needing the guy that performed said hit to drop his gloves in response.

It's still hilarious & sad at the same time to see how many hits of Kronwall's over the years result in the other guy charging after Kronwall to get him to fight, as if the entire league doesn't know he's not a fighter nor has ever had the reputation of being a dirty player.

It depends on the play. I think the Isles had the proper response by going after Kronwal here. Their captain is on the ice bloody and out of it, there wasnt ever a time in the league where you hit a captain like that and not have someone go after you. Hit Yzerman like that and Probert would've taken your head off, same with any big star. This hit wasnt just big, it might be one of the hardest delivered in the league all season.

I dont like how any bigish hit nowadays has someone trying to fight. A semi hard hit on a 4th line calibre player should not have guys jumping him but a lot of the time that happens.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I certainly miss the days when a good, clean hit was imply acknowledged as such by the players receiving the hit, and even his team, and the game simply went on its merry way, rather than this pointless obsession these days into needing the guy that performed said hit to drop his gloves in response.

If someone decks your captain, star player or goaltender then you try to beat the shit out of him, no matter if the hit was clean or not. That's not something new.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
All angles on the hit.

Anders Lee on the hit: “I had my head down, looking for the puck in my skates, and he hit me with a good shoulder check, that's hockey.”

I'm a Wings fan but Lee is such a beaut. I love his attitude and he came right back in the game. Glad he wasn't hurt, he'll learn from this one for sure and will undoubtedly be a better player for it going forward.

Reactions: Sticky Fingers

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Curling doesn't have hits to the head or non hits to the head as was clear with this one, maybe you whiners can give that sport a whirl! There is also the NBA, they don't have hitting, or golf, maybe volleyball or tennis or badminton. You guys clearly hate good hitting, so why not go watch a non hitting sport?

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011

Miss the days? I am not sure what you mean. Back in the day guys would be even more likely to throw fists if someone laid a hit like this on there teams captain. I cant believe he wouldnt even fight Josh Bailey lol

Reactions: AttilaTheFun

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
That Kronwall hit has to be shown to every hockey player that is just starting to play with body contact - Lee's head down is an example of what not to do.
Watching Kronwall hit like that brings back a lot of good memories, and some bad :

In Lee's case, Kronwall didn't leave his feet, it was a clean hit.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Isles fan here.

Great hit. Love Kronwall and love Lee. He had his down down. Glad he came back from it and is ok. The team rallied around it, Boychuk took care of business as did Bailey. Fun game overall.

Thank god some of the people here don't run the NHL. It would be worse than soccer/basketball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad