And Then Everyone Dared Disturb the Sound of Silence (CBA & Lockout) XXIII ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, you know that game of chicken Donnie Fehr likes to play?
He's still playing it.
No wonder some owners are banging thier head against a wall.
Oh and Doug Maclean was right on the money. Whole lotta nothin' goin' on folks.

Fehr Time*

Talks would go alot better if the NHL finally realized that linkage is a non starter. Players should be entitled to guaranteed amounts of money each year at a minimum. It is the responsibility of the owners to work harder for the players to make sure they are fairly compensated. As far as this year goes, players are entitled to all of the compensation that they were scheduled to get no matter how many games are played. The owners are responsible for the lockout, they should pay for their mistake.

Until the league comes to this understanding there will be no hockey.

Hanklite*

This schtick act by Donald Fehr: arriving late, last minute proposals, etc. has got to be infuriating Bettman and the Owners.

Pretty classless tactics by Fehr.

xdl1

Nov 3, 2010
Talks would go alot better if the NHL finally realized that linkage is a non starter. Players should be entitled to guaranteed amounts of money each year at a minimum. It is the responsibility of the owners to work harder for the players to make sure they are fairly compensated. As far as this year goes, players are entitled to all of the compensation that they were scheduled to get no matter how many games are played. The owners are responsible for the lockout, they should pay for their mistake.

Exactly. Do you think we should go after the cap today, or wait until we agree on the secondary issues likely during the weekend to pull the cap off the table?

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Well, it is hard to do your job when you are forbidden from showing up at your workplace. The players want to play, the owners are the ones preventing hockey.

And if the players would've sat down with the league last off season when the league requested to, than it's quite possible this lockout would've never happened. But you keep believing Fehr is some kind of genius and the league is the big evil.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

LOL. It's like this, except exactly the opposite. Good luck to the players finding the hockey league that will give them this.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
I wish Forbes or someone would do a "update" on their view of how much Franchise values have diminished over the past 6 months (if at all) - putting the potential impact in business terms would make the owners realize the time bomb they're playing with here.

Likewise, the players and their agents really need to just do the math. They've lost years, lost dollars, lost respect, lost effectively everything, and gained nothing other than more time off.
Um, do you really think owners pay any attention to Forbes business of hockey valuations? Pretty sure owners have their own valuations, since you know, the owners actually have the books, figures, and data, opposed to Forbes just estimating everything.

Forbes business of hockey/baseball/football/basketball etc is just there for fans. It has no authoritative meaning and certainly is t used by owners to determine their own teams value.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, it is hard to do your job when you are forbidden from showing up at your workplace. The players want to play, the owners are the ones preventing hockey.

I'm sure they do, hence why they stalled and dawdled when the league asked them to begin negotiations during the season.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I agree with the owners stance of needing a 50/50 split, but nothing should be given with out something in return. I agree with the players that they should ween themselves into this in some way. But I think the best deal for the players is to be made now. If this shuts down, it won't be any easier before the start of next season. I think right now is the point at which the players will get the most from the owners until this time next year.

Until then, between potential break downs and the next weak point for the owners, the players will only receive worse offers from the owners. Get it done this week, or wait until next Nov.

I agree but they cant push too hard either......

wondeROY

Apr 19, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Christ, is the NHL really dumb enough to let a 2nd season (in 7 years) slip completely away? I have a hard time believing anyone could be that stupid. I think you are pulling the proverbially pin on the grenade if that happens. You can kiss any growth for this sport away for the next decade if that happens. The only upside i see here is that this is the longest run of meetings they have had all year.

Fehr Time*

And if the players would've sat down with the league last off season when the league requested to, than it's quite possible this lockout would've never happened. But you keep believing Fehr is some kind of genius and the league is the big evil.

Fehr did not want CBA negotiations to take away from the playoffs and upset the fans because he cares about them more than Bettman Inc. does. He did not want the fans to have to hear about these things when they were trying to enjoy the best hockey of the year. The league could have hammered out a deal with the players in August during hockeys down time and none of this would have happened.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Fehr did not want CBA negotiations to take away from the playoffs and upset the fans because he cares about them more than Bettman Inc. does. He did not want the fans to have to hear about these things when they were trying to enjoy the best hockey of the year. The league could have hammered out a deal with the players in August during hockeys down time and none of this would have happened.

And you know this how? Surely you are not trying to pass an assumption off as fact...

Besides, it isn't Fehr's job to care about the fans. It's his job to lead the PA. If he is more worried about how the fans feel than he is with getting a fair deal done in time for his players to start earning paychecks he should be fired.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Double LOL. Donald Fehr refused to negotiate because he didn't want to distract the fans during the season. Well, he sure as hell distracted them a lot more by holding out.

Boot

Oct 20, 2010

They did try to hammer out a deal. And even then, they could have done it earlier in the year. They waited until the last possible minute, and then proceeded to propose something that changed the system and put all of the risk for future growth of the league onto the owners.

Also, a gag order on the players keeps a lot of the frustrations away from the fans. Work quietly while the season is going then worry about your PR battles later.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan

Judging by the reactions on the streets and on here the league has over 80% of the support.

Fehr is public enemy number one in the hockey world.

Hanklite*

If my workplace said you can either sit at home without pay or come to work and get 12% less than what you made last year. My decision to stay home would be mine alone.

The owners are hardly forbidding players, simply trying to run their business.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site

Do you understand what off season means? There is no playoffs in the off season, so how would he be upsetting the fans when there is no hockey being played to enjoy?

Fehr Time*

And you know this how? Surely you are not trying to pass an assumption off as fact...

Besides, it isn't Fehr's job to care about the fans. It's his job to lead the PA. If he is more worried about how the fans feel than he is with getting a fair deal done in time for his players to start earning paychecks he should be fired.

Yes, he felt that negotiations during the spring would take away from the focus of the playoffs. It was very thoughtful of him I thought. At least someone cares about the fans because the league does not.

The players are not holding out, the are just refusing to put their heads on the chop block so Bettman can swing his axe - or as Bettman calls it, "negotiating''.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005

Who cares about the NHL. Greedy owners and players have ruined the game. Stick to pee-wees and juniors where the game is pure. I hope these guys have ruined their businesses and careers. I can't wait to see some of these players bagging groceries soon as that is all most of them are qualified to do anyway.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Accusing someone of trolling or of being a troll is against the site rules. I'm tired of deleting posts that add nothing more than "lol troll" to the conversation.

ryangib

May 4, 2009
Yeah, but if you had a contract promising you that rate of pay for years to come, and you had to listen to your boss brag about how much better than expected the company is doing,wouldn't you feel like you are getting screwed? Esspecially, if YOU are the product. How long you can hold out for is another story.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Yes, he felt that negotiations during the spring would take away from the focus of the playoffs. It was very thoughtful of him I thought. At least someone cares about the fans becasue the league does not.

The players are not holding out, the are just refusing to put their heads on the chop block so Bettman can swing his axe - or as Bettman calls it, "negotiating''.

You conveniently ignored my question. How do you know this is a fact? From what I know the reason negotiations didn't start earlier was said to be because Fehr needed time to get up to speed, not because of the fans. So do you have a quote that you wouldn't mind sharing? If not let's stop treating assumptions like fact, shall we?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

So, does this mean you are ok with the elimination of guaranteed contracts? A player with a big long-term deal can be cut when he doesn't perform, or hell even if the team just decides they can't afford him? After all that should be the owners' right.

As far as this year goes, the players should be paid for the games they play. The owners were within their rights in the old CBA to negotiate a new CBA.

There will be no hockey until the players understand that there will be linkage.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Who cares about the NHL. Greedy owners and players have ruined the game. Stick to pee-wees and juniors where the game is pure. I hope these guys have ruined their businesses and careers. I can't wait to see some of these players bagging groceries soon as that is all most of them are qualified to do anyway.

I'm not sure what this has to do with my post, but wishing people failure over a CBA negotiation seems a bit extreme. I love the game, too, but it's still just a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad