OT: And now we return to our regularly scheduled program

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
People will just stop watching sports, ratings are already way down for NBA and MLB,. the people that view sports as an escape from politics will just turn it off completely.
They'll come back. If they don't, so be it. The leagues simply are not in a position to deny overtures to the players on these issues at this point in time.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
They'll come back. If they don't, so be it. The leagues simply are not in a position to deny overtures to the players on these issues at this point in time.
For such principled people, these players sure folded quickly when it became apparent they would take a 20-30% pay cut next season. That gives me all the information I need.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
For such principled people, these players sure folded quickly when it became apparent they would take a 20-30% pay cut next season. That gives me all the information I need.
The initial "boycott" last night was simply for last night so you can't act like it was intended to go on forever before they chickened out. Striking the rest of the playoffs was.merely something debated after the fact.

I don't see other folks taking 30% paycuts over sociopolitical gestures, btw. Nevermind in this situation you'd have to have over 100 people on board to be do that together.

Reactions: truthbluth

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
People will just stop watching sports, ratings are already way down for NBA and MLB,. the people that view sports as an escape from politics will just turn it off completely.
*an escape from politics they disagree with.

There's politics in sports already, but the people saying they'll stop watching now happen to agree with those politics.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
The initial "boycott" last night was simply for last night so you can't act like it was intended to go on forever before they chickened out. Striking the rest of the playoffs was.merely something debated after the fact.

I don't see other folks taking 30% paycuts over sociopolitical gestures, btw. Nevermind in this situation you'd have to have over 100 people on board to be do that together.
Actually he Lakers and Clippers voted to end their seasons immediately, so they clearly envisioned this boycott lasting more than one game.

I have no problem with players using their sport as a forum to express their political and social beliefs. But let's at least be honest and distinguish between a principled stand against a perceived injustice that forces one to risk something, vs. the cheap signaling emanating from the NBA.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Actually he Lakers and Clippers voted to end their seasons immediately, so they clearly envisioned this boycott lasting more than one game.

I have no problem with players using their sport as a forum to express their political and social beliefs. But let's at least be honest and distinguish between a principled stand against a perceived injustice that forces one to risk something, vs. the cheap signaling emanating from the NBA.

Unless I missed something, the Lakers and Clippers weren't the teams that sat out Wednesday night. That is independent of the Bucks sitting out Wednesday night, which by no indication I've seen was intended to go on. Then all the teams (players) met to discuss the possibility of more, which only the Clippers and Lakers supported in full, as I said myself in another comment, maybe in another thread.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Yesterday I thought: "better not touch that very dangerous button"
Today I bumped into my computer that in turn bumped into a microphone that pushed the button, sending phantom power into all my synths and compressors.
Had a scare but everything seems fine, hard to diagnose if it's some minor damage but I better find it now if I need to use my insurance.

Reactions: sabremike

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
It now seems pretty clear to me that social networking is perhaps the worst technology ever invented. The atom bomb was pretty bad. And yet, it did end a war and prevent other wars from even taking place. Facebook is a f***ing plague. It has no redeeming quality.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It now seems pretty clear to me that social networking is perhaps the worst technology ever invented. The atom bomb was pretty bad. And yet, it did end a war and prevent other wars from even taking place. Facebook is a f***ing plague. It has no redeeming quality.

Eh, it's just combination of personal webpages mixed with messageboard functionality.

It's how it's been weaponized for profits that make it a cesspool.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Screenshot_2020-09-07-02-36-14.png

Brilliant!!! Need to find a way to make that my avatar.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have a few friends who have had to evacuate in Oregon and Washington. Hopefully they get the rain they need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad