OT: And now we return to our regularly scheduled program

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I remember 30 years ago climbing a 40’ ladder to the top of the high-bay roof of one of the then-115+ year-old barns on the family farm with 90-lb rolls of roll-roofing held on my shoulder, so it was a 1-handed climb, ladder flexing & oscillating in-out all the way up. My then-60 yo uncle and then 58-yo triplet uncles made the same climbs supporting the same loads as nonchalant as if they were fetching the mail or the newspaper. One of my cousins recently told me one of them was still climbing the 40’ ladder into his 80’s. I know that uncle did however pay someone to put metal roof on the farmhouse and another 3-story barn a few years ago, vs doing it himself. The farmhouse was built in the 1850’s with a full set of stairs in the attic to a roof hatch, which is how the re-roofs used to be done.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I've been furloughed from my work for about 4 months now (since April 1st). Nobody else from my infrastructure team was furloughed. I was a contractor.

The company basically resells Disney and Universal tickets and is generally considered a nice place to work. However, they got hit hard by the corona virus, obviously.

Since I didn't want to take out a SB loan and was a contractor, I was basically shafted hard by being laid off. No unemployment, nothing. Thankfully, my wife has a great job and can pay all of our bills. And job prospects have been picking up the past few weeks.

They are currently paying all their workers (who have been working continuously) 65% to try to save the company. A member of the infrastructure team in my role has just left. My boss calls me and says they want me to come back, but at the 65% rate. He says that the company is trying to get the rate higher ASAP and the company will not take a cent of profit until they are back at 100%.

I don't think I can do 100% work at 65% pay at this point. I'm going to offer to come back 3 days a week at 60% (100% pay rate, just less work) with a mutual understanding that if they want to hire someone full time at a lower salary that is fine and If i want to leave for full time work elsewhere that is fine.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Hope everyone is safe, and well.

Been working out now everyday for a month. Noticing muscle memory gains. Smoking once every hour attempting to cut back. Biking for an hour each day. Part time work has been slower.

One of the only complaints I have about life right now is that our building complexes washer has still not been fixed. It's a pain taking my laundry over to relatives and friends. Got a new manager running the building supposedly but nobody has his contact info.

Enjoying watching the other NHL teams with a couple brews with the fellas. The weather has been great here too.

Reactions: brian_griffin

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I've been furloughed from my work for about 4 months now (since April 1st). Nobody else from my infrastructure team was furloughed. I was a contractor.

The company basically resells Disney and Universal tickets and is generally considered a nice place to work. However, they got hit hard by the corona virus, obviously.

Since I didn't want to take out a SB loan and was a contractor, I was basically shafted hard by being laid off. No unemployment, nothing. Thankfully, my wife has a great job and can pay all of our bills. And job prospects have been picking up the past few weeks.

They are currently paying all their workers (who have been working continuously) 65% to try to save the company. A member of the infrastructure team in my role has just left. My boss calls me and says they want me to come back, but at the 65% rate. He says that the company is trying to get the rate higher ASAP and the company will not take a cent of profit until they are back at 100%.

I don't think I can do 100% work at 65% pay at this point. I'm going to offer to come back 3 days a week at 60% (100% pay rate, just less work) with a mutual understanding that if they want to hire someone full time at a lower salary that is fine and If i want to leave for full time work elsewhere that is fine.

In the good news, my employer "countered" at 75% for 4 days work. So I'm ending my furlough and returning to work. The good news is this prevents me from having to take a "bad" job, though I will still be actively looking until my company is back at 100% (which could be months)

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
In the good news, my employer "countered" at 75% for 4 days work. So I'm ending my furlough and returning to work. The good news is this prevents me from having to take a "bad" job, though I will still be actively looking until my company is back at 100% (which could be months)
That’s good. I feel bad for everyone going through issues of work and struggling during all this. I don’t know what I would have done if I had ended up out of work due to everything going on, especially since I’m the primary “bread winner” for my house. We don’t live paycheck to paycheck but we also don’t have a huge nest egg currently.

I thankfully have stayed working through the entire time of all this craziness. My wife was down to 50% of her usual schedule for about 6 weeks at the beginning but is back up to her usual work load ever since.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Carry all music equipment out of studio with the help of my SO and lock up cats for half a day -> handyman cancels appointment because of beach weather -> carry everything back alone to be able to let cats back out = back hurts.

On sunday I'll have to carry everything back out again, let's hope it rains on monday...

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Great deal, IMO. Once you have enough money to live on, make headway on debt, and save for future, Time is worth more than incremental money, especially when your kids are young. No one ever dies wishing they had worked more hours.

If your company is a major player in the secondary / resale market for those Orlando attractions, it seems like that will surge in demand once things re-open more broadly. You'll have more people willing / wanting to visit there, and other people who had plans / tickets who won't want the risk or who can't travel.

I posted previously my wife (10%) and I (15%) both took pay cuts. Intent is our former pay rate is reinstated 1/1/21, but there is no guarantee reinstatement won't be delayed further. No one in our North Carolina locations were furloughed, but some of our NYS colleagues who were furloughed in both our division (4-day week) and other divisions (don't know details) have returned full-time. I believe today is also the last day of work-from-home for colleagues in our division in NYS.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
FB_IMG_1596872030985.jpg

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
That’s good. I feel bad for everyone going through issues of work and struggling during all this. I don’t know what I would have done if I had ended up out of work due to everything going on, especially since I’m the primary “bread winner” for my house. We don’t live paycheck to paycheck but we also don’t have a huge nest egg currently.

I thankfully have stayed working through the entire time of all this craziness. My wife was down to 50% of her usual schedule for about 6 weeks at the beginning but is back up to her usual work load ever since.

Great deal, IMO. Once you have enough money to live on, make headway on debt, and save for future, Time is worth more than incremental money, especially when your kids are young. No one ever dies wishing they had worked more hours.

If your company is a major player in the secondary / resale market for those Orlando attractions, it seems like that will surge in demand once things re-open more broadly. You'll have more people willing / wanting to visit there, and other people who had plans / tickets who won't want the risk or who can't travel.

I posted previously my wife (10%) and I (15%) both took pay cuts. Intent is our former pay rate is reinstated 1/1/21, but there is no guarantee reinstatement won't be delayed further. No one in our North Carolina locations were furloughed, but some of our NYS colleagues who were furloughed in both our division (4-day week) and other divisions (don't know details) have returned full-time. I believe today is also the last day of work-from-home for colleagues in our division in NYS.

Yeah, I'm happy to go back, even if its 3/4 pay for 4/5th of the work. That being said, the interviews have taken a huge uptick in the last few weeks. I finished the entire interview process with one company (I likely wouldn't accept an offer from them unless the money was too good to say no to), and am in the final steps with another company.

What irks me still is that my company dropped me like a bad habit when things got tough for them. I do realize it's a business decision. I'm very fortunate my wife has a great job and I don't in theory need to work. This has been a stark reminder to me:

Always look out for yourself and your family first. Companies do not give a shit about you. Loyalty, even to a good company, is stupid. If there is a better situation for you and your family, take it. Because company's, even good ones with good managers, will drop you like a bad habit if times get tough, regardless of your personal situation.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Cow tipping is when you sneak onto a farm and push a sleeping cow over. It's been in so many movies like Tommy Boy that I assumed you'd get it
Couldn't they make the dollars blue or something to stop the cows from eating them? Must be easier than getting the dollars out of sleeping cows.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
While it wasn’t unexpected, we lost my mother in law this morning. I know she’s in a better place but still hard to lose someone who has been a part of my life for just shy of 20 years. And to see my wife struggle is even harder.

Fly high....

Condolences to you, the Mrs. and the whole MM crew.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Small study on registered covid deaths in Sweden:
15% are direct deaths due to covid.
70% of cases it might have contributed to an earlier death for terminally ill patients.
15% covid unrelated.

Rare that patients had trouble breathing towards the end, general weakness was the common end.

Source doctor's journal:
https://lakartidningen.se/aktuellt/nyheter/2020/08/covid-19-oftast-inte-ensam-orsak-vid-dodsfall-bland-aldre/

H
ow has the US handled regular health checkups? Sweden has seen a huge dip in cancer cases meaning many won't receive treatment in time. The lack of resources in healthcare to deal with the pandemic + business as usual might kill more than the disease itself.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad