OT: And now we return to our regularly scheduled program

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
This one hurts. I loved Mythbusters. Grant was my 2nd favorite host. The show and hosts always made me think and look at things with an inquisitive mind.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Major twitter hack. Some of the most high profile people in the world tweeting out a bitcoin address and have apparently already had over $100k sent to it.

Elon Musk, Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Uber, Apple, Jeff Bezos...

Doesn't appear to be a compromise of any credentials, but rather a hack of some twitter system which allows the hacker to change the email address associated with the account, allowing them to then reset the password and post.

Twitter has locked verified accounts from tweeting and resetting their password while they investigate.

Fall out is going to be interesting.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This is gibberish. This guy does not know what he is taking about. It was clear early on in the hack the account takeover was through internal access or an unknown exploit.
I'm not a tech guy so I don't know any technical stuff but when I first saw it I thought this made more sense than "Twitter/Bitcoin version of the Nigerian e-mail scam".

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I'm not a tech guy so I don't know any technical stuff but when I first saw it I thought this made more sense than "Twitter/Bitcoin version of the Nigerian e-mail scam".
I am a tech guy and he's talking out his butthole.

Here's a tl;dr on what happened based on information available:
- Multiple twitter employees with access to internal tools had their accounts accessed through social engineering
- Internal tools were used to do 2 things to high profile accounts: (1) Change email address (2) Disable 2fa
- Once the email address was changed, the hackers were able to presumably reset the passwords and login.

I assume twitter will add additional operational controls in their internal tools around changing account information, at least for any verified accounts.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I am a tech guy and he's talking out his butthole.

Here's a tl;dr on what happened based on information available:
- Multiple twitter employees with access to internal tools had their accounts accessed through social engineering
- Internal tools were used to do 2 things to high profile accounts: (1) Change email address (2) Disable 2fa
- Once the email address was changed, the hackers were able to presumably reset the passwords and login.

I assume twitter will add additional operational controls in their internal tools around changing account information, at least for any verified accounts.
Whoever did it was a hero because it kept the blue checks from being able to post for awhile.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Been working out a ton the past 3 weeks. Trying to do 470 pushups a day, along with biking and a bit of dumbbell reps. Feeling good, noticing gains. Lets get it.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Been working out a ton the past 3 weeks. Trying to do 470 pushups a day, along with biking and a bit of dumbbell reps. Feeling good, noticing gains. Lets get it.
<reads this after spending majority of day in recliner>
<feels bad>

Admittedly, high today of 96F, and 60% humidity had heat index of 108F, so my forays outside were brief, after 2-3 hours of yard and outdoor work yesterday.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
<reads this after spending majority of day in recliner>
<feels bad>

Admittedly, high today of 96F, and 60% humidity had heat index of 108F, so my forays outside were brief, after 2-3 hours of yard and outdoor work yesterday.
We have a very late monsoon season so its upper 90s and pool time daily. Usually by the end of June that yellow ball in the sky is on siesta until October. Capitalizing on the dry spell, actually left the house for the first non-ATM run since March to eat in a restaurant after needing documents printed / copied / notarized. It was terrible that I was forced to wait in the business office for 45min, the saving grace was 6 local microbrews on tap

Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It was 77 degrees Fahrenheit at 7:00 a.m. here this morning. The heat index is supposed to be about 110 later. Good times...

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Ugh. My mother in law has been going downhill the last few weeks rather quickly. Today my wife got a phone call that they don’t expect her mom to make it through the next couple of days and very well could go through the night. Currently waiting to be granted permission for me and my wife to be able to go see her since nursing homes are still closed to visitors.

One bright note is with everything happening the last few weeks, my boss is super understanding and is the first to be like “yup take the rest of the day to support your wife”. Most of my old bosses probably wouldn’t have let me take off until she unfortunately passed.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It doesn't get much better than this. :laugh:
upload_2020-7-23_21-1-37.png

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

So, between the birthday money I received from my mom & MIL and the grinder as the birthday gift from my dad, I created a home pour over coffee setup.

We also have a drip + pod Keurig machine.

But, the difference in quality is amazing huge. And I have fun brewing up some coffee for myself and my wife every morning.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Did google furlough the people that maintain the gmail spam filters? I've been getting a ton of it the last few weeks.

I've noticed it as well. Normally I get nothing, but I've been averaging one or two pieces of junk coming through a day.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
If anyone has a PS4 and has not bought Ghost of Tsushima yet- you're not living your best life.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Ugh. My mother in law has been going downhill the last few weeks rather quickly. Today my wife got a phone call that they don’t expect her mom to make it through the next couple of days and very well could go through the night. Currently waiting to be granted permission for me and my wife to be able to go see her since nursing homes are still closed to visitors.

One bright note is with everything happening the last few weeks, my boss is super understanding and is the first to be like “yup take the rest of the day to support your wife”. Most of my old bosses probably wouldn’t have let me take off until she unfortunately passed.
Sorry to read this. It's never easy going through an event like this, especially with the current circumstances. It's nice that your boss is understanding. He/She sounds like a good dude/dudette.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad