Analyzing Habs forward over past 25 years, and time to trade Gallagher?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I would consider trading anyone for the right return, don`t see a franchise player on the Habs roster.

With Gallagher, it would take a very good young established NHLer plus future(s) to consider moving him. I think he could help just about any team .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can picture Gallagher on the Oilers, Pens, Bruins, Knights, Jets.

Frankly, I would love to see that get done for him.

Get it done for him? Screw that! It's about the Habs, not Gallagher. We only move him if we get pry away value. I'm a big fan of Gallagher, but a bigger Habs fan!

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I would consider trading anyone for the right return, don`t see a franchise player on the Habs roster.

With Gallagher, it would take a very good young established NHLer plus future(s) to consider moving him. I think he could help just about any team .
Would you trade Gallagher for a Hall type return? If we retain 50%.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Would you trade Gallagher for a Hall type return? If we retain 50%.
Don`t know about retaining on Gallagher but for a very good young player would consider it. He`s a heart and soul team player, so would need to be an enticing younger player that filled a need.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Don`t know about retaining on Gallagher but for a very good young player would consider it. He`s a heart and soul team player, so would need to be an enticing younger player that filled a need.
If we re-sign Gallagher though be looking at 8 to 9 million for 7 to 8 years. That's a lot of dough for a guy be 29 when present contract is up. With a lot of hard mileage on him.

Reactions: Walrus26

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Get it done for him? Screw that! It's about the Habs, not Gallagher. We only move him if we get pry away value. I'm a big fan of Gallagher, but a bigger Habs fan!
If only you could have this same opinion about our GM, we would get along much better.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
If we re-sign Gallagher though be looking at 8 to 9 million for 7 to 8 years. That's a lot of dough for a guy be 29 when present contract is up. With a lot of hard mileage on him.

I share this sentiment 100%. He's made a career out of proving people wrong, but........

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
He`s a team player and he wasn`t greedy in the past so we`ll see. I`m not a fan of contracts more then 5 years even for stars unless they are young.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Gallagher is exactly what Edmonton needs they should throw the farm at us

Edit: Gallagher is exactly what every team needs
He is also what this team needs. When Suzuki, KK etc turn 27 do we start talking about trading them too? At some point we should consider keeping our good players instead of constantly rebuilding with prospects. Having said that, he would fetch a sizable return but nothing that would make us a better team in the next few years.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
You see, thats the problem. Hes extremely valuable, but putting Kevin Hayes money on him , for entire organisation, is not the best move. He play on our first line, got big heart and soul, hes the player i like the best for the Habs, but hes not a real first liner, well, a bottom first liner on a average offensive team like we are, his best place is on the first line. Paying him 1rst line money because of our problems is not the best thing to do. If we got to keep him, i just hope Bergevin can pull a magic trick and get him sign at 5.5-6, which imo is what hes worth.

It's the same principle as when Brisebois was paid 1st pairing D money because he was the best of the bunch we were stuck with, not because he was a legitimate 1st pairing D...

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Not for emotional reasons at all.

He's a mainstay guy who sets a great example for everyone.

Do you worry about his style of play and longevity? Of course. But he will always give that effort. I see him playing well up to mid thirties. He's more talented then you'd think just glancing at him. He has terrific savvy around the net. He works very hard in the off season. He's an honest player.

Gallagher will get you between 20 and 30 goals wherever he plays in the lineup. A veteran line of Tatar - Danult - Gallagher in a few years could well be an elite 3rd line in the NHL, providing top-6 production in a 3rd line role and shutting down opponents in key moments during a game. Now, you just need to assemble enough talent to bump them down to a 3rd line role...

Reactions: Roadhouse

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Gallagher will get you between 20 and 30 goals wherever he plays in the lineup. A veteran line of Tatar - Danult - Gallagher in a few years could well be an elite 3rd line in the NHL, providing top-6 production in a 3rd line role and shutting down opponents in key moments during a game. Now, you just need to assemble enough talent to bump them down to a 3rd line role...

I'll take them as 2nd line any day. They're good.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I think Gallagher will be gone. As a forward, he just doesn’t fit moving forward to when we will compete.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Right now, you don't trade the heart and soul of this team. We used to keep players until they retired, or until they wanted to finish their careers in the sun somewhere. Why can't we do the same with this warrior? I love Brendan. And, TBH, he's all heart and soul. You don't find those easily, small or not.

Keep him until he wants out. Let's have the class Pollock had. I love the man.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
He is also what this team needs. When Suzuki, KK etc turn 27 do we start talking about trading them too? At some point we should consider keeping our good players instead of constantly rebuilding with prospects. Having said that, he would fetch a sizable return but nothing that would make us a better team in the next few years.
We do keep our good players, we keep them until their value is gone or we let them walk away. We never trade them at the right time for the right value.

Constantly rebuilding with prospects? Do you mean overvaluing our prospects and then ruining them with our incompetence, ya we're really good at that.

If the return was huge and I believe it would be, I would trade Gallagher. Doesn’t look like we will be a contender anytime soon, I would trade Price/Weber/Petry/Gallagher for big returns. Yes Price and Weber are VERY tradable and MULTIPLE teams would make big offers for them.

Bergevin is clueless. He’s keeping us in no man’s land, he’s made a good pretender out of this team. And nothing will change until he’s gone. Molsons are pieces of shit owners.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Right now, you don't trade the heart and soul of this team. We used to keep players until they retired, or until they wanted to finish their careers in the sun somewhere. Why can't we do the same with this warrior? I love Brendan. And, TBH, he's all heart and soul. You don't find those easily, small or not.

That's an admirable view, but we're screwed if his body gives up 3 years or so into a 7 year, $7m+ contract.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Jul 6, 2016
We do keep our good players, we keep them until their value is gone or we let them walk away. We never trade them at the right time for the right value.

Constantly rebuilding with prospects? Do you mean overvaluing our prospects and then ruining them with our incompetence, ya we're really good at that.

If the return was huge and I believe it would be, I would trade Gallagher. Doesn’t look like we will be a contender anytime soon, I would trade Price/Weber/Petry/Gallagher for big returns. Yes Price and Weber are VERY tradable and MULTIPLE teams would make big offers for them.

Bergevin is clueless. He’s keeping us in no man’s land, he’s made a good pretender out of this team. And nothing will change until he’s gone. Molsons are pieces of **** owners.

Why does Pittsburg nver traded Crosby or Malkin or Jagr ? Why does washington never traded OV or Backstrom or Carlson ? At some point you need to keep your best players and just change the other supporting cast members. Gallagher is no superstar, but he is the heart and soul of this team.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Why does Pittsburg nver traded Crosby or Malkin or Jagr ? Why does washington never traded OV or Backstrom or Carlson ? At some point you need to keep your best players and just change the other supporting cast members. Gallagher is no superstar, but he is the heart and soul of this team.
I don’t think we can compare ourselves to those teams, they have won cups with those guys and retool their teams on the fly.

Sure we can keep Gallagher, he is our heart and soul, problem is he’s the heart and soul of a handicapped team that will never win anything ever again with their current mentality and vision.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
very soon, this line will cost you around 22/23M per...they better produce like a 1st line at that price.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I'm scared of the next contract, he's earned it, but it might be a few years too long.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Game has changed since Pollock days. Get a massive return now. Secure our long term future. Remember Subban trade value 2 years ago or Price trade value 3 years ago? Both ended up with bad contracts.

Gallagher will get more than Skinner. I would think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad