Analyzing Habs forward over past 25 years, and time to trade Gallagher?

RandR

May 15, 2011
I read this board every day and sometimes there is good info and sometimes there isn't.

How can anyone want to trade the Heart and Soul of the team? You do not trade your hardest working player unless he asks for it..

Look at Toronto.. They have talent up the ying yang but no heart. Imagine if they added Gally. They would walk through us all day long and almost every other team..

What a ridiculous thread.
I absolutely agree. He is probably the last player on this team I would even think of trading. Heart and soul of the team and a fan favourite; the guy is a testament to the values of hard work and dedication in pro hockey. What a poor message that would send to him, his teammates, his coaches, his fans and the team's fans if MB even thought about shopping him around the league, especially when he is just entering his prime years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It projects better if you keep danault & Gally, but add what we'd get in prospects from trading Tatar and Petry.

If we trade those 2, we're sure to also draft very high for at least two seasons, two seasons where we'll be in no man's land otherwise.

I've toyed with that option as well. We have three attempts at it... This deadline, 2020 draft, and 2021 deadline. I think whatever our team does in the standings moving forward will reveal to us what we should do. It's easy for us fans to say do this and don't do that though. For all we know, Bergevin is shopping Petry right now and already ask him for his 15 team no trade list. Something off with Petry lately and only two things come to my mind...

1) He is mentality tired with the ice time and with us being in our own end so much
or
2) Bergevin ask him to give him the 15 team no trade list and he likely does not like it want wants to stay.

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
Understanding a lot being not in favor of trading him, hes also my favorite player, but sometime, you need to look down the road. We havent won anything yet, will Gallagher accept 2nd line money the day all our future ( Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling ) are ready to take the offence, and that window is in 2-3 years let say. I dont think its his fault if we dont go further and havent won anything yet, but i think hes our most valuable asset, even if not a real first liner, and we have to listen to offers , maybe make him available,by the deadline. Cause i think it will be a mistake signing him at let say 7.5m, when hes 29. I will be happy to see him stay, hope he can finish his career as a Habs, i just hope we wont overpay by resigning him and he will have better players around him.

But now? At the deadline, he will be one of the most valuable player for trade, one year left at low cap space, his value will be at maximum. It could be the time to get a real talent player who can finish in top 30 scorer for him, as example Hall, and im not saying here that Hall is more valuable, but perhaps an example of what type of talent we need to look at, if that become an option, or really get a shining prospect or two for him.

Or we can just wait like we did the past 20 years and hope our young players develop as prime players to go around him. I dont like the idea of trading him, but maybe its best course of action for our future.

Reactions: abo9

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sorry but this "analysis" of your means nothing and shows nothing. In 1993, the last Habs Cup season the top scorer on the team was Damphousse and he was only 24th in the league in scoring. Looking solely at points shows only a small snapshot of what makes a first line forward. Just like Gallagher bring more than just goals and points, the guy is a leader, works every shift and could easily be the teams captain. Trading him would have to be for a very big over payment.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If Gallagher was still signed for a few years then you keep him around and set a good example for the young kids. But as a UFA in 2021 I'm not lining up to give him the 6-8 years he will want. He will be worth a lot. You could probably fleece Jim Benning pretty easy dangling Gallagher his way.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If Gallagher was still signed for a few years then you keep him around and set a good example for the young kids. But as a UFA in 2021 I'm not lining up to give him the 6-8 years he will want. He will be worth a lot. You could probably fleece Jim Benning pretty easy dangling Gallagher his way.
I would trade Gallagher for a huge return. A first pick and prospect like Bouchard or Broberg.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
Generally in favour of jettisoning ~28 y/o players once they're up for contract, but in the case of Gallagher, given his career trajectory to this point, and given that I do still see a discrepancy between his perceived value and his actual value (as I see it), I think we could ink him to another deal and come out ahead

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
A "play the shift as if it's your last" gritty forward like Gally will burn out physically eventually. That being the case, if GM Bergy can find a relatively young No. 1 left-side defenseman, go ahead and trade Gally.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
A "play the shift as if it's your last" gritty forward like Gally will burn out physically eventually. That being the case, if GM Bergy can find a relatively young No. 1 left-side defenseman, go ahead and trade Gally.
It's a tough decision even then. Guys like Gally are what help get you through rounds in the playoffs. But you need to make the playoffs first...

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
They absolutely better trade him before he turns 30 like they did with Pacioretty

He's a nice player but he will never be more than a professional garbage goal getter that cant make a pass and god knows how much gas is left in that tank already

We really have to capitalize and trade gallagher and petry at the height of their value before its too late
If you want to go into that big trades you have to get a nhl player in return or you lose any chance of making the PO for maybe the next 2 years. If you want picks for those two you have to include Price in the trading lot and maybe also Weber.

I would keep Weber because I beleive he will be dominant even at the age of 38, like Chara. The speed of his slaps shots will be over 100 mph till he reaches 40yrs.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Understanding a lot being not in favor of trading him, hes also my favorite player, but sometime, you need to look down the road. We havent won anything yet, will Gallagher accept 2nd line money the day all our future ( Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling ) are ready to take the offence, and that window is in 2-3 years let say. I dont think its his fault if we dont go further and havent won anything yet, but i think hes our most valuable asset, even if not a real first liner, and we have to listen to offers , maybe make him available,by the deadline. Cause i think it will be a mistake signing him at let say 7.5m, when hes 29. I will be happy to see him stay, hope he can finish his career as a Habs, i just hope we wont overpay by resigning him and he will have better players around him.

But now? At the deadline, he will be one of the most valuable player for trade, one year left at low cap space, his value will be at maximum. It could be the time to get a real talent player who can finish in top 30 scorer for him, as example Hall, and im not saying here that Hall is more valuable, but perhaps an example of what type of talent we need to look at, if that become an option, or really get a shining prospect or two for him.

Or we can just wait like we did the past 20 years and hope our young players develop as prime players to go around him. I dont like the idea of trading him, but maybe its best course of action for our future.
Trade Gallagher for Aho kind of result at the end?

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Gallagher is the last player that I want to trade but chances are that is future play won’t be worth the contract he will have earn or he might want to move on from MTL since we can’t lose him for nothing sell high isn’t the craziest idea since even with all is intensity, Gallagher is not the most skilled or fastest player he isn’t much of a play maker and with is style of play he might decline earlier or faster than expected. But I rather over paid Gallagher than waste money on bad player like Alzner...

Reactions: Tighthead and LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I love Gallagher but i would listen to the offers for sure. He is the type of player teams often overpay for. If you can get a prospect of Suzuki's quality + a good pick for Gallagher you got to do it absolutely 100%.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
You trade Gallagher you are repeating the mistake of trading Guy Carbonneau. There are some players you need to stay with the team.
Carbo got traded because of his front page finger. Habs got nothing for him ( Jim Montgomery)

if you get something with good potential for Gallagher, you are not repeating anything.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Here is an analysis i did from all forwards the Habs got since the last 10 years, and pointing players since we got a cup, 1993. The rating are as follow, as number rank forward in points in the league.
1-30 : First line forward star.
31-60 : First line forward, Not a star, get the job done
61-100: Bottom First line forward, mostly 2nd line forward on some team, not top league talent

2019-2020
Tatar (31). Note Pacioretty 25th
Gallagher (75)
Danault (79)

2018-2019
Domi (45)
Tatar (70)
Drouin (88)
Gallagher (90)
Note Pacioretty 40p in 66, would have made top 100 for 82 games ratio.

2017-2018
Gallagher (83)
Galchenyuk (93)
Patioretty close to same ratio, did not make top 100 even with 82g conversion,but close

2016-2017
Pacioretty (23)
Radulov (67)

2015-2016
Pacioretty (23)
Galchenyuk (53)
Plekanec (61)

2014-2015
Pacioretty (21)
Plekanec (49)
Desharnais (84)
Gallagher (88)
Galchenyuk (97)

2013-2014
Vanek (25), acquired deadline
Pacioretty (42)
Desharnais (72)

2012-2013 ( lockout year )
Pacioretty (33)
Ryder (48) trade
Plekanec (57)
Eller (84)

2011-2012
Pacioretty (37)
Cole (48)
Desharnais (57)
Plekanec (86)

2010-2011
Plekanec (58)

2009-2010
Plekanec (27)
Gomez (55)
Cammalleri (92)

Note top 50 for habs after.
Kovalev (11) in 2007-2008
Ribeiro (30) 2003-2004
Koivu (27) 2002-2003
Recchi (16) , Dampousse (42), Corson (47, in 62 games )1997-1998
Turgeon (13, but trade after 10g...), Damphousse (21) Recchi (22) 1996-1997
Turgeon (18) Damphousse (20) Recchi (36) 1995-1996
Leclair (13) Recchi (19) ( the trade! ),Turgeon (21, from ISL),Damphousse (40) 1994-1995
Damphousse (20) Bellows (48) 1993-1994
Damphousse (24), Muller (27), Bellows (33), Lebeau (46) 1992-1993, year of the Stanley Cup.

Top 50 last 10 years
Domi (2018-2019)( 1 year wonder?)
Pacioretty (2011-2012 threw 2016-2017)
Cole and Plekanec one year bottom 50

Conclusion: Since 97, we never got three top forward in the league at the same time. We gave Pacioretty who finish top 25 three year in a row, and we trade him for two average season. Tatar is more a bottom 60-100 player. Pacioretty is so far top 25 in the league again, with talent around him. We hope Suzuki is more than a bottom 100 player in his career. But my conclusion with all this, we dont have pure talent, and as crazy as it might sound, hes a hard working horse, but it might be time we trade Gallagher and get a deal for a player who got more talent? Hes a bottom 1rst line, top 2nd line player. A trade for Hall? Both around same age, Hall got more talent, four time top 25 scorer in the league. Or perhaps its the time to get maximum value out of him, with picks and prospect, or we make sure we dont overpay him on his next contract, cause hes not prime talent level. We need player with heart, but we really need more talent.
Looking at thisa couple things came to mind

One being that the Ottawa Senators are a better organization than the Montreal Canadiens over your selected time period of 25 years.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
A lot of teams would be interested in Gallagher, a heart and soul guy that is capable of scoring 30 hard to get dirty area goals a season, there aren't many in the league like him, he is a throwback era player.
I can picture Gallagher on the Oilers, Pens, Bruins, Knights, Jets.

Frankly, I would love to see that get done for him.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
The return didn't matter. They traded the heart of the franchise. That is also Gallagher.
I agree they are/were both the heart and soul of the team but I’ll disagree with the rest and say that the return absolutely matters.

Where the team is at also matters. (Need of rebuild, competing, etc)

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I agree they are/were both the heart and soul of the team but I’ll disagree in saying that the return absolutely matters.

Where the team is at also matters. (Need of rebuild, competing, etc)

But here is my take on this (and I mentioned it before in this thread). If you are rebuilding with young guys and such, you need in your team someone who will lead them to their love and respect of the logo. That is how you provide continuity. As much as I like Weber, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care much about the CH. I think Price loves the History but he is a goalie.

Gallagher would defend this logo with his teeth. You need this.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
But here is my take on this (and I mentioned it before in this thread). If you are rebuilding with young guys and such, you need in your team someone who will lead them to their love and respect of the logo. That is how you provide continuity. As much as I like Weber, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care much about the CH. I think Price loves the History but he is a goalie.

Gallagher would defend this logo with his teeth. You need this.
I get your point and it’s a valid one.

But I think if you can get a talented player for him, you do it. The first thing you need on a team is talent.

It might mean the team performs worse in the short term since the guy(s)/pick(s) coming back would still need to grow, etc. But that is when a real plan is needed.

Look at how TO turned it around quickly. I think that is possible if well planed out. Of course they seem to have messed it up once Dubas took over, but time will tell and that’s another story.

Habs are building a team with no one in the middle. This does open the debate of whether it is possible to build around a G and so far there are no prof that this is viable in today’s NHL. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible but the flag is there.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Gallagher has a lot of hard wear and tear on him. He will start decline early. Team is a few years away from contending. If get a first and Broberg be good deal. Or first and Bouchard.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Gallagher has a lot of hard wear and tear on him. He will start decline early. Team is a few years away from contending. If get a first and Broberg be good deal. Or first and Bouchard.
Not sure about cap issues but I think Gallagher would fit in nicely in St.Louis. Robert Thomas would be one I would kick the tires on.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Take a lot to move Gallagher. A high end prospect and first pick. His team friendly contract will bring more player value back than we give up.

But I doubt they trade him. Canadiens never traded Price 3 years ago when return would been colossal. Same as not moving Petry last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad