Analyzing Dubas's performance II - (Full Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Cant believe people mourn the “loss” of Hunter like they do Lou. At least Lou has pedigree behind him. So far nearly of Hunter’s picks outside of round one don’t look very good, the one exception being Dermott.
Some people did mention Lou was starting to lose it with his decisions he previously did in New Jersey when Toronto hired him. The only good moves he made for the Leafs was trading for Andersen, along with re-singing Rielly and Kadri to their current contracts. However his horrible contracts for Patrick Marleau and Nikita Zaitsev, plus trading for Tomas Plekanec outweighed any good moves he made.

As for Hunter he's just living off his success with the London Knights and besides when Brendan Shanahan originally hired him, you never saw other teams looking to interview him for their GM jobs and that did not happen until the Oilers interviewed him before hiring Ken Holland. Hell I don't even think he interviewed with Seattle unless I'm wrong about that.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I’m a fan of Dubas, I am ... but if we lose this series and win the Lafreniere lottery I want Dubas to not be here and a fresh new set of eyes to make player personnel decisions, because he has too many biases to make the right decisions at that point.

His brand of Ladies hockey and building a team with no grit and a patchwork D isn’t gonna get it done in the playoffs

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Some people did mention Lou was starting to lose it with his decisions he previously did in New Jersey when Toronto hired him. The only good moves he made for the Leafs was trading for Andersen, along with re-singing Rielly and Kadri to their current contracts. However his horrible contracts for Patrick Marleau and Nikita Zaitsev, plus trading for Tomas Plekanec outweighed any good moves he made.

As for Hunter he's just living off his success with the London Knights and besides when Brendan Shanahan originally hired him, you never saw other teams looking to interview him for their GM jobs and that did not happen until the Oilers interviewed him before hiring Ken Holland. Hell I don't even think he interviewed with Seattle unless I'm wrong about that.

The Marleau contract was fine, if keeping Marleau for 1 more year meant the Leafs kept a 1st rounder and traded Marner instead of giving him a ridiculous contract the organization would be in a much better spot right now.

Dubas gave away a 1st rounder so he could overpay Marner and destroy his trade value.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The Marleau contract was fine, if keeping Marleau for 1 more year meant the Leafs kept a 1st rounder and traded Marner instead of giving him a ridiculous contract the organization would be in a much better spot right now.

Dubas gave away a 1st rounder so he could overpay Marner and destroy his trade value.
Dubas traded a 1st round pick because he was able to re-sign Kapanen and Johnsson since Marleau's contract was off their salary cap.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

So youd rather have traded Marner to keep a mid round 1st? Come on....

Marleau was being outplayed by guys making less than half his money by that point. He had to go, especially if the team wanted to resign other guys too like Kapanen

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Marleau was being outplayed by guys making less than half his money by that point. He had to go, especially if the team wanted to resign other guys too like Kapanen
It was no coincidence after Marleau and the 1st round pick was traded that news started to break that Dubas was about to re-sign Kapapen and Johnsson.

Also correct me if I'm wrong wasn't trading Marleau the reason Dubas was able to re-sign them when he did, since there was talk of them getting offer sheets if they made it to July 1, 2019 as RFA's and there wasn't a concern about not re-signing Marner if Marleau was still on their salary cap.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019

Yea i'd rather have the significant return from trading an unsigned Marner plus a first.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Toronto could have got a 1st round pick and other picks if he signed an offer sheet and that never happened.

It would have been a similar contract to what he got plus the team would have to give up multiple first round picks nobody is doing that.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
I'd give him one more season but there has to be roster changes made, BIG changes.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
He gets one more summer (fired early if they miss the playoffs which I could see happening tbh if they don't make changes fast).

My issue with him are:

1. He's obsessed with this possession hockey which might help you get 100 points but won't win playoff series when you're up against it.

2. I worry he's one of those guys who's willing to be patient and stick to his guys whether it be a forward who'd overpaid/underperforming or a coach.

If he doesn't turn over a good chunk of the roster, especially the defense, you'll know what kind of GM he is or if we're screwed.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
He gets one more summer (fired early if they miss the playoffs which I could see happening tbh if they don't make changes fast).

My issue with him are:

1. He's obsessed with this possession hockey which might help you get 100 points but won't win playoff series when you're up against it.

2. I worry he's one of those guys who's willing to be patient and stick to his guys whether it be a forward who'd overpaid/underperforming or a coach.

If he doesn't turn over a good chunk of the roster, especially the defense, you'll know what kind of GM he is or if we're screwed.

His biggest problem imo is that he doesn't appear to know NHL hockey. All his systems and coaches are from the minors.

There are lots of players , like Sheldon Keefe for example, who know how to score and win in the OHL and AHL. But their stuff doesn't work in the NHL because it's a different level.

Dubas and Keefe got absolutely dummied in this series.

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
Call a spade a spade. Dubas doesn't know the first thing about building a winning hockey culture. He inherited a boon of talent which he has parlayed into jack squat. All the Leafs are under Dubas' tutelage is a collection of danglers and shooters and skaters - but they need a GM more qualified to turn this group into an actual hockey team. I believe Shanahan is a good hockey guy but man did he ever screw up royally with Dubas. Shanny - it look you far too long to finally admit to the Babcock mistake. Admit the Dubas mistake before it's too late.

Last edited:

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Why are people ripping on Dubas? He is one of the worst GMs in NHL history, but he didn’t hire himself. Shanahan had zero front office experience, and has won absolutely nothing in 5 years of being here. He came in and fired Carlyle, while the Leafs were still in a playoff position. Now 5 years later the Leafs aren’t ina playoff position, and are regressing badly. Oh yeah, he also hired the highest paid coach in NHL history only to win nothing.

Cut the head off the snake and that is Shanahan.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The Leafs roster is like a rich guy's garage full of exotic cars. And when you play the Columbus Blue Jackets, it's like carrying firewood.
Teams like Tampa Bay and the Leafs can't do the job and fail. Doesn't mean every player has to be a goon. But can you imagine some
big forward going to the net? Our top four players threw 68 shots on net. Why didn't more go in? Could of thrown David Clarkson and
Nathan Horton in a wheelchair out there and they would of done more then the 2nd and 3rd level sweethearts.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I think we're going to look back on the Dubas era as one of missed opportunity. Inherited a young talented team on the upswing and ends up squandering it.

Reactions: rumman

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
*did not read thread, post was being regurgitating information already posted...

Dubas isn't the kind of guy to go to UFA and open up his wallet to middling talents. In getting Tavares, he got a marquee NHL centerman that did not perform well in this play-in round.

Which is also a 5 game sample size.

Similarly, even though they had more to offer, both Nylander and Marner still registered 4 points in these 5 games, it's the secondary scorers I'm more concerned with as well as the goalie and the coaching. I actually thought the team defense was fine and was under the impression that Keefe would incorporate Sandin and Liljegren more into the mix and sit Holl and Marincin the f down - was he expecting to repeat his success with the Marlies? The Columbus forecheck could have easily been exploited by our defense if we had personnel that could make reliable stretch passes, and it's a shame that we didn't let Sandin have this moment. But he should have many a moment alongside Liljegren in the coming future. Thankfully our problems here will sort themselves out - both Barrie and Ceci will not be coming back, freeing up more than $6M cap space. Also worth noting that both Ceci and Barrie were being sheltered this series (58.8% and 52.8% offensive zone starts) and have one goal between the two in ~20 minutes of ice time each per game.

It is also worth noting that although the Leafs did not give up many goals, they're weren't exactly facing an offensive juggernaut. With Columbus, they faced a team built almost opposite to theirs - excellent defense corps with Jones and Werenski, but also Savard and Murray, that scores by committee. Both their goalies were able to outplay Andersen but it wasn't the difference between the Leafs winning or losing most games. However, you expect more from a guy you're shelling $5M to each year and that leaker in the first game is not how you want to go down 1-0 in the series' first game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad