Analyzing Dubas's performance II - (Full Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Leo Komarov was a hero to most, but is now vilified. Toronto fans adored him, called him Uncle Leo, and voted him in the All-Star game. I have no idea what happened, but now many leaf fans want him eliminated.
Komarov was never voted in by Leafs fans to the All Star Game in 2016. He was selected by the NHL because every team needed at least one player representing them.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That’s great it’s worse but it doesn’t have anything to do with the Leafs going forward. Perhaps the Isles board is a more appropriate place to discuss Komarovs impact on Brazal

In a thread dedictaed to analyzing a GMs performance, its hardly unreasonable to compare him to other GMs, especially previous rivals for his job to help frame the analysis. If anoher team had hired Hunter im sure folks would be comparing Dubas to him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leo Komarov was a hero to most, but is now vilified. Toronto fans adored him, called him Uncle Leo, and voted him in the All-Star game. I have no idea what happened, but now many leaf fans want him eliminated.

He was really good for one season, and less good after that. Folks perceptions seem to match his abilities

Imo he seems like a nice guy in terms of his personality, but hes nothing more than a depth player

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Komarov was never voted in by Leafs fans to the All Star Game in 2016. He was selected by the NHL because every team needed at least one player representing them.

I see. I thought it was always fan selections.

IIRC fans did like Komarov, and liked the selection.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
In terms of the Leafs power play time this season they ranked 27th and Boston was 11th. In fact prior to this season here is where they ranked in relation to Boston since the 2016-17 season when they started making the playoffs.

2016-17: Toronto 21st, Boston 16th.

2017-18: Toronto 31st, Boston 11th.

2018-19: Toronto 30th, Boston 19th.
Exactly! Leafs do not get the calls. Boston does.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I definitely liked Komorov and still do.

Thank God you exist because I thought I was alone.

I suppose when you have a team that has Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, etc. it's easy to s**t on role players.

Sadly I think Leaf fans might appreciate role players once KD finds the right batch. I think Leaf fans expect like a 4th scoring line and would rather have Denis Malgin.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
He was really good for one season, and less good after that. Folks perceptions seem to match his abilities

Imo he seems like a nice guy in terms of his personality, but hes nothing more than a depth player

Yup such a weird fascination with him, he just your ordinary depth player every team has. He had 1 good year 2015-2016.

This leafs team is so fun to watch now you have players on every line that can have a hot game and burn bad players. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Engvall score two goals first game back with 12 minutes of ice time. Strange from the days of watching Froese, Winnik, Matthias trying to stay in the offensive zone.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Thank God you exist because I thought I was alone.

I suppose when you have a team that has Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, etc. it's easy to s**t on role players.

Sadly I think Leaf fans might appreciate role players once KD finds the right batch. I think Leaf fans expect like a 4th scoring line and would rather have Denis Malgin.
I'd rather have him than Marchment

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Out of curiosity, if the Leafs fail to beat CBJ, will the narrative be "Oh well, CBJ beat Tampa last year" ? It is a genuine question on my part as I have seen some on here basically proclaim he can do no wrong.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Out of curiosity, if the Leafs fail to beat CBJ, will the narrative be "Oh well, CBJ beat Tampa last year" ? It is a genuine question on my part as I have seen some on here basically proclaim he can do no wrong.

There's probably only one poster who'd do that.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

There are far more people in the “he can do no right” camp than in the “he can do no wrong” camp.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Blame will be equally distributed between Lou Lam and Babcock.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
In a thread dedictaed to analyzing a GMs performance, its hardly unreasonable to compare him to other GMs, especially previous rivals for his job to help frame the analysis. If anoher team had hired Hunter im sure folks would be comparing Dubas to him.

It's hard to compare dubas and lou when you consider that lou brought us from literally last in the league to a franchise record in points within 4 years.

Within 2 years dubas has managed to see us regress to just a playoff bubble team with no cap space and a hurt prospect pool.

When we had lou in 2017-18, we finished 7th league wide while the islanders finished 22nd!

The following season the islanders get lou and we get dubas. We end up finishing 7th again, less points than year before, while the islanders were 5th.

This past season lou and his islanders finished 2 spots ahead of dubas and the leafs again, 11 vs 13.

Each season dubas has been in charge we have gotten roughly 5 points less/season.

Lou brought the islanders from 80 to 103 points.

How is it possible that Lou, who apparently over pays everyone and has no clue what hes doing, is able to take a bottom 10 team and out perform dubas each of the last 2 seasons?

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015

Well said.

Dubas keeps sparks over mcbackup? "He made the right correct move, even if it didnt work out". What?

Dubas trades kadri for kerfoot and barrie? "Wow we fleeced the aves!" Yeah that not how that worked.

"This is the best leafs team we have seen in years!" Yeah that's also false.

Literally every move dubas makes is met with applause while anytime someone brings up lou or babs, who set franchise records for our team, are ridiculed and hated.

Imagine if dubas had brought us from last place all the way to 105 points. These people would make a statue of him.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Nah, Lou's gone and Dubas has mostly done just fine. If we lose it'll be on the players and the coach.

It's hard to compare dubas and lou when you consider that lou brought us from literally last in the league to a franchise record in points within 4 years.

Within 2 years dubas has managed to see us regress to just a playoff bubble team with no cap space and a hurt prospect pool.

When we had lou in 2017-18, we finished 7th league wide while the islanders finished 22nd!

The following season the islanders get lou and we get dubas. We end up finishing 7th again, less points than year before, while the islanders were 5th.

This past season lou and his islanders finished 2 spots ahead of dubas and the leafs again, 11 vs 13.

Each season dubas has been in charge we have gotten roughly 5 points less/season.

Lou brought the islanders from 80 to 103 points.

How is it possible that Lou, who apparently over pays everyone and has no clue what hes doing, is able to take a bottom 10 team and out perform dubas each of the last 2 seasons?

You act as if Lou came in and nothing else changed. How do you expect anyone to take you seriously?

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Odd way to contextualize that, since Babs was on pace for 80-something points this year, and Keefe was on pace for 103(with bad goaltending). Especially when Dubas apparently wanted the switch to happen in the summer, before the Leafs fell behind, but Dubas wasn't allowed to make the move. Dubas says "I told you so".

Trading first round picks acquiring Jake Muzzin and ridding the team of an albatross that he didn't sign in the first place. I'm pretty ok with that.

Spending to the cap is bad if you have bad contracts, of which the Leafs have none.

So dubas signing tavares is credit for dubas just because he was the gm but our results getting worse since dubas taking over are not his fault? Just trying to make sure I understand your position.

After the coaching change, we went on a role for 24 games and won 17 of those games. (Pace of ~116 points)

The following 23 games we returned to normal and won 11 games. We were below .500 for almost half the games keefe coached us for. (Pace ~78 points)

I would bet money that most teams that change coaches tend to do well for a bit before falling back to their old ways.

We were not a 103 point team with keefe.

There was no need to trade a 1st to get rid of 1 year of Marleau. That was such bad asset management that i was astonished when the trade was made.

Before we got muzzin (17-18) we allowed 232 GA. The following season dubas trades for muzzin and somehow we let even more goals in (251). This year we were even worse defensively, allowing 227 in just 70 games.

How is it that dubas can trade a 1st for a dman, something lou never did, and yet we are actively getting worse defensively?

Also, spending to the cap is simply bad. How do you rationalize having no money to sign a decent back up? We wasted so many points this year playing with garbage for back ups.

Seems like none of dubas' moves work out.

Last edited:

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Nah, Lou's gone and Dubas has mostly done just fine. If we lose it'll be on the players and the coach.

You act as if Lou came in and nothing else changed. How do you expect anyone to take you seriously?

Yes lou is gone but the dubas defenders still seem to try and blame every misfortune on him. It's honestly funny though.

Lol what do you mean "you act as if lou came in and nothing else changed"?

I literally just showed you that lou came in and changed everything. We went from dead last to a franchise record in points within 4 years. You think that kind of thing just happens on it's own? And you have the audacity to wonder why people would take me seriously rofl

How do you explain lou taking a bottom 10 team and out performing dubas and the leafs 2 years in a row? Or are you going to just avoid that part of my message?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yes lou is gone but the dubas defenders still seem to try and blame every misfortune on him. It's honestly funny though.

Lol what do you mean "you act as if lou came in and nothing else changed"?

I literally just showed you that lou came in and changed everything. We went from dead last to a franchise record in points within 4 years. You think that kind of thing just happens on it's own? And you have the audacity to wonder why people would take me seriously rofl

How do you explain lou taking a bottom 10 team and out performing dubas and the leafs 2 years in a row? Or are you going to just avoid that part of my message?

Didn't Lou's arrival coincide with adding guys like Matthews and Marner to the roster? Do you think those guys might have had something to do with improved performance? There were some other changes too that Lou had nothing to do with that were quite relevant, if you're not aware of these things you should just stop before further embarrassing yourself.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Blaming Lou since he left them after the 2017-18 season would be stupid.

However won't some people still use Babcock because he did start this past season as the coach, so his 9-10-4 record did play a part in Toronto having to play in the qualifying round against to Columbus just to make the playoffs, instead of finishing with a better record like Tampa Bay or Boston who finished in the top 4 in the Eastern Conference and are automatically in the playoffs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Blaming Lou since he left them after the 2018-19 season would be stupid.

However won't some people still use Babcock because he did start this past season as the coach, so his 9-10-4 record did play a part in Toronto having to play in the qualifying round against to Columbus just to make the playoffs, instead of finishing with a better record like Tampa Bay or Boston who finished in the top 4 in the Eastern Conference and are automatically in the playoffs.
Yet we see it every day.

Reactions: rumman

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yet we see it every day.
I think that's because a decision he made like signing Marleau had an impact on their season this year, because Dubas needed to trade their 2020 1st round pick just to get rid of his contract.

Yes I know that Dubas is responsible for actually making that trade, so I'm just using Marleau signing in Toronto under Lamoriello as an example.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad