Analyzing Dubas's performance II - (Full Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Mike Babcock had first banished Martin to the press box 1.5 years into that contract while Lou was still GM.

Clifford is the better hockey player than Martin beyond the physicality stuff and at half the cost
Please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Babcock even hesitant to do that because he didn't think Andreas Johnsson was ready to play full time in the lineup?

It was also earlier in that same season where Babcock said him playing Marner with Kadri and Marleau was going to be a one time thing and he was forced to keep them as a line since Marner started to finally score some goals.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It was also earlier in that same season where Babcock said him playing Marner with Kadri and Marleau was going to be a one time thing and he was forced to keep them as a line since Marner started to finally score some goals.

Yeah I remember that. A certain poster had a nice little bash-fest going on Marner for only having 2 goals in the first 2 and half months of the season and was ever so adamant we messed up bad not drafting Barzal instead.

Fun times.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah I remember that. A certain poster had a nice little bash-fest going on Marner for only having 2 goals in the first 2 and half months of the season and was ever so adamant we messed up bad not drafting Barzal instead.

Fun times.

In his defense he had just become an Islanders fan after being a Jets fan for a few months.
Besides saying how Toronto messed up selecting Marner instead of Barzal at that time, he also thought Barzal was better than Matthews because he had 85 points as a rookie and Matthews only had 69 points.

He also went onto say how Barzal outscored Tavares when he was still on the Islanders with those 85 points and failed to mention that Tavares finished 1 point behind him with 84 points.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes, most of the relevant information is omitted entirely from posts. It's much better to pay attention to relevant posts and posters.

If we are going to have relevant posts and a true conversation, let's start with the fact that Komarov is overpaid by more than the big 3 combined, and work our way from there.
Why is Komarov’s being overpaid by the Islanders relevant to the Leafs? :huh:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My best guess is he was brought up because Lamoriello ended up giving him a raise compared to his previous contract with Toronto, since we saw Babcock make him a healthy scratch towards the 2018 regular season and playoffs.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
My best guess is he was brought up because Lamoriello ended up giving him a raise compared to his previous contract with Toronto, since we saw Babcock make him a healthy scratch towards the 2018 regular season and playoffs.
I’m sure Islander fans are pissed.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Because of the fact someone is complaining about the big 3 contracts, and holding up the Islanders as a well built model. They have $10 million to sign Barzal, Pulock, Toews, and a backup G.
Got it.
Seems kind of silly but I never really got the ‘at least we’re not.....’ type statements. Whatever trouble the Islanders or any other teams are having doesn’t have anything to do with the cap troubles the Leafs have.

Reactions: kb and ToneDog

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
It shouldn't even matter. It could have been the case that Dubas didn't want Tavares, reluctantly took the meeting, and Tavares had to convince HIM to let him sign there, and Dubas should still get the credit because he's the GM and offered the contract and signed the player and that's what we judge GM's on.

It's literally that simple. This argument is absurd.

So do we also judge dubas based on team results?

We went from 105 points with lou and babs to 100 points with dubas and then on pace for roughly 95 this year. All while dubas has managed to spend right to the cap and trade off multiple 1st round picks.

That's terrible.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

We went from 105 points with lou and babs to 100 points with dubas and then on pace for roughly 95 this year. All while dubas has managed to spend right to the cap and trade off multiple 1st round picks.

That's terrible.

I guess that's one way of looking at it. :rolleyes:

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It shouldn't even matter. It could have been the case that Dubas didn't want Tavares, reluctantly took the meeting, and Tavares had to convince HIM to let him sign there, and Dubas should still get the credit because he's the GM and offered the contract and signed the player and that's what we judge GM's on.

It's literally that simple. This argument is absurd.
Of course as the GM he gets the credit for the signing. I think what most are saying is the player would have signed regardless the GM.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Got it.
Seems kind of silly but I never really got the ‘at least we’re not.....’ type statements. Whatever trouble the Islanders or any other teams are having doesn’t have anything to do with the cap troubles the Leafs have.

When they were caused by the same person in back to back years and we're evaluating the person that had to deal with it vs. a mythical "what if" seeing that said "what if" seems to be worse is quite relevant

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
When they were caused by the same person in back to back years and we're evaluating the person that had to deal with it vs. a mythical "what if" seeing that said "what if" seems to be worse is quite relevant
Which players were signed by the former GM that are causing the Leafs cap issues today?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
We went from 105 points with lou and babs to 100 points with dubas and then on pace for roughly 95 this year.

Odd way to contextualize that, since Babs was on pace for 80-something points this year, and Keefe was on pace for 103(with bad goaltending). Especially when Dubas apparently wanted the switch to happen in the summer, before the Leafs fell behind, but Dubas wasn't allowed to make the move. Dubas says "I told you so".

All while dubas has managed to spend right to the cap and trade off multiple 1st round picks.

That's terrible.

Trading first round picks acquiring Jake Muzzin and ridding the team of an albatross that he didn't sign in the first place. I'm pretty ok with that.

Spending to the cap is bad if you have bad contracts, of which the Leafs have none.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Marleau and Zaitsev didn't influence this years cap situation?

The Leafs cap issues today are having a lot of good players and having a pandemic hit.
The post I quoted referred to future cap, not this years. Go back and have a read.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The post I quoted referred to future cap, not this years. Go back and have a read.

It refers to the Islanders current situation, which is as of today is worse than ours while being very comparable to where we were last off-season with bad contracts to declining players making it hard to re-sign the core of the team.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

That's terrible.
The first round pick Dubas traded in 2019 was for Jake Muzzin to make them better and addressed a need on their defense.

The first round pick in 2020 he traded was to get rid of Patrick Marleau's contract which was signed by Lou Lamoriello, so Dubas had to clean up that mess he made.

Yes you can say Dubas should have made a better trade with Marleau and maybe tried giving up a player like Johnsson, however if it wasn't for Lou signing Marleau it's a trade Dubas doesn't need to make from the start.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It refers to the Islanders current situation, which is as of today is worse than ours while being very comparable to where we were last off-season with bad contracts to declining players making it hard to re-sign the core of the team.
That’s great it’s worse but it doesn’t have anything to do with the Leafs going forward. Perhaps the Isles board is a more appropriate place to discuss Komarovs impact on Brazal

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What the naive Dubas critics do not get is that if the Leafs get tough, unlike Boston, the Leafs get penalties.
In terms of the Leafs power play time this season they ranked 27th and Boston was 11th. In fact prior to this season here is where they ranked in relation to Boston since the 2016-17 season when they started making the playoffs.

2016-17: Toronto 21st, Boston 16th.

2017-18: Toronto 31st, Boston 11th.

2018-19: Toronto 30th, Boston 19th.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Leo Komarov was a hero to most, but is now vilified. Toronto fans adored him, called him Uncle Leo, and voted him in the All-Star game. I have no idea what happened, but now many leaf fans want him eliminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->