Friedman: Anaheim, Tampa, Philadelphia, and Montreal have inquired about Sam Bennett over the years

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Not getting the strong negative reaction to the quote. What’s wrong with saying other teams have looked at him over the years? Why is it hard to believe teams have looked at it? He’s not trying to start a rumor by saying any of that. Much ado about nothing.
Me neither. Weird to have such a backlash for a rumor guy on the rumor board. His job is to talk about this stuff. Sometimes it's obvious but whatever, it's not the worst thing in the world to be like "these teams are interested in this underperforming player".

Reactions: bleedgreen

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Unfortunately I think it’s come down to a few things:

1) He started his career off as a winger on a line with strong possession players (Backlund and Frolik). He gained a lot of confidence and ice time here and had success.

2) In his second year and third year, he was put at Centre with less skilled players and was expected to drive the line himself. He carried around players like Chiasson, Brouwer, Stajan, McGrattan etc. This isn’t a recipe for success for any skill player.

3) He’s now been paired with Janikowski, which has been better than previous, but still hasn’t meshed perfectly.

Routinely he will be driving the zone with the puck, and his linemates are changing off or are far behind Sam and he runs into 3+ players in the O-zone. Things seem to be looking up with Neal and Dube on his line last season, but we will see if Peters sticks with this matchup.

Bennett is also getting almost no ice time under Peters.

The Flames have more depth now, and Peters is going with Czarnik, Neal, Lindholm, Ryan, and Dube ahead of Bennett. Considering the Flames already had Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund, an Frolik up front, ice time is just hard to come by in Calgary. I do wish that Bennett and Jankowski would get more time, as the bottom six in Calgary, once again, is not scoring. Hopefully, Peters notices and gives the Bennett/Jankowski combo more ice time or splits them up.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Bennett is also getting almost no ice time under Peters.

The Flames have more depth now, and Peters is going with Czarnik, Neal, Lindholm, Ryan, and Dube ahead of Bennett. Considering the Flames already had Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund, an Frolik up front, ice time is just hard to come by in Calgary. I do wish that Bennett and Jankowski would get more time, as the bottom six in Calgary, once again, is not scoring. Hopefully, Peters notices and gives the Bennett/Jankowski combo more ice time or splits them up.

Bennett has outplayed Neal, Dube, Frolik and Ryan imo. Like what's the guy gotta do.

Can't complain with Czarnik though, he's been fantastic.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Not sure why Friedman is getting any backlash here. The issue is clearly the OP this time.

EDIT - Threads like this are why Mackenzie called this board a bunch of butt clowns.

When/ where did bobby mack say that? That's awesome lmao.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
The article said those are teams that have inquired about him "through out the years".

There's nothing to be discussed.
Exactly, every GM should have asked about him, as part of doing their job.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not sure why Friedman is getting any backlash here. The issue is clearly the OP this time.

EDIT - Threads like this are why Mackenzie called this board a bunch of butt clowns.

Not sure the issue is exclusively OP here; the headline editor at Sportsnet who bulleted the point as "Canadiens among teams interested in Sam Bennett" probably had a hand in it as well.

Either way, this doesn't feel like much of a story, but it's interesting to know who's been monitoring the Bennett situation, I suppose.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
It was like back in 07/08 ish.

People were asking him where he thought teen idol sensation & hockey wunderkind Dustin Rose was projected to go in the next Draft.
I recall him going off on CBJ fans who were accusing Adam Foote of lying and abandoning the team. I believe "ass-hat" was the term he used. Good times.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Not getting the strong negative reaction to the quote. What’s wrong with saying other teams have looked at him over the years? Why is it hard to believe teams have looked at it? He’s not trying to start a rumor by saying any of that. Much ado about nothing.
Because quality NHL reporters shouldn't be reporting about things that are "nothing".

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Because quality NHL reporters shouldn't be reporting about things that are "nothing".
What was he reporting? Isn’t this just one line out of paragraph of information he’s giving? The point wasn’t that the guy is on the block. As an nhl reporter he talks about guys in the nhl, not just ones on the trading block. Is he reporting that teams have been interested in this guy or just telling a story about the guy that happens to include a line about other teams...

What the hell is the guy supposed to be talking about?

Reactions: Seachd

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Last year, Calgary fans say "We're not taking a 1st round pick for him that'd be selling low, we want two first round picks."
This year, Calgary fans say "We're not taking a 2nd round pick for him, that'd be selling low, we want a first round pick."
Next year, Calgary fans say "We're not taking a 3rd round pick for him, that'd be selling low, we want a second round pick."

Bennett is a modern day Yakupov in the context of trade proposals. He's the prospect who HF fans constantly will dislike trade proposals for under the fallacy that they are "selling low". They wont' realize that Bennett is a depreciating asset, and they would actually be selling high.

Reactions: Iceman

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I remember that and I believe he did use both “asshat” and “assclowns” in 2 separate posts.

This message board can’t have nice things like premier Insiders like Bob McKenzie because too many people rip on them. Nice job people...

Elliotte Friedman has also been on the fan 960 and has been critical of people who spin his words out of context. People just need to relax, as Bryzgalov once said, “It’s hockey, it’s only game.”

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad