Friedman: Anaheim, Tampa, Philadelphia, and Montreal have inquired about Sam Bennett over the years

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I could see Anaheim being interested... but would have to be around Ritchie and bennet I guess. Maybe max jones I suppose.

Max jones is a bit high for Bennett. Kid is really good. Bennett is almost washed at this point imo.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
What has happebed to Sam Bennet ??

I remember when the Canucks played the Flames in rnd 1 a few yrs ago and Hughson and CBC kept referring to him as 19 yr old Sam Bennet. They were in awe of this guy. Compared him to doug gilmour.
Excuse you, it was 18 year old Sam Bennett

Reactions: super6646

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Max jones is a bit high for Bennett. Kid is really good. Bennett is almost washed at this point imo.
Max Jones is a prospect with huge question makrs himself. Has not been impressive at all since his draft season. He is B prospect and doesnt have much value. A deal for Bennett could be built around Jones as they both right now dont have the greatest value with Bennett being more nhl proven.

Reactions: exporta

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I really like reading Friedman's 31 thoughts. It's usually got some fun info or anecdote.

But his "thoughts" get thrown around like trade rumours all the time. And I think he's partly to blame, because he writes this stuff in a way that heavily implies that there's something going on, even when there isn't.

I wish he, and his readers, were clearer about it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This topic was beaten to death yesterday afternoon on the Flames local radio station (the same on Elliott appeared on to talk about).

By the sounds of it, teams have definitely been inquiring about his availability. Apparently in the Canes deal, Bennett was one of the original pieces in the deal. By the sounds of it, the Flames are open to moving Benny, but not for a song. Like there's no point in moving Sam Bennett for a 2nd round pick, that makes Calgary a worse team right now and likely in the future.

One of the things bounced around was the idea that they would be open to move him in a high upside struggling player for high upside struggling player trade. Similar to the Domi/Galchenyuk deal.

I do feel bad for the kid. He never got a fair shake in Calgary. His rookie season was more impressive than Sean Monahan's, but it was kind of downhill from there. Essentially, Monahan, drafted in front of him was given the top line role with Johnny. Then Calgary drafted Matt Tkachuk, who opposed to what HF thinks, is an elite player. Then the team has the worst bottom 6 likely league wide (considering people on Calgary's bottom 6 from the past couple years are either not in the league or on league minimums/PTO type deals), and slotted Bennett to be the driving force with guys who were barely NHL quality. He isn't that type of player. He can't do that, not at the age of 20 at least. So Bennett was stuck in terms of not playing 1LW, 2LW or 1C or 2C... the coach refused to give him a look at 1RW, opting instead to give guys like Alex Chiasson the time of day.

Really it was a mix of circumstance, performance and coaching. I think given some decent PP time, and top 6 minutes, he'd be a good player for someone. I don't think he'll be a 1C or something, but I could see a skill/grit 40-50 point player with the right make up.

The worst part, is even if he breaks out with a 20 goal season in Calgary, we likely can't afford him regardless.

Reactions: Janks

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Max Jones is a prospect with huge question makrs himself. Has not been impressive at all since his draft season. He is B prospect and doesnt have much value. A deal for Bennett could be built around Jones as they both right now dont have the greatest value with Bennett being more nhl proven.

I agree on Jones, I doubt he has a whole lot of value. Big red flags for me when a guy can only manage 5 assists in a half season as a 19 year old in the OHL, with what should be dominant physical tools and surrounded by plenty of talent. He's a project right now, most certainly falls behind Comtois and Ritchie in terms of young, big body wingers in the Ducks system, and honestly I'd say I probably prefer Kopacka at this point as well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Jones is a good prospect but too high for the NHL proven talent in Bennett? I'm not so sure about that. Yeah, Bennett has disappointed but what makes you think Jones's 0.88 pts/game transitions to better than Bennett at the NHL when Bennett had 1.21 pts/game in the OHL?

How do you measure that Jones won't disappoint like Bennett?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Doubt if Calgary moves Bennett it would be in their own division.
You don't want this kid, if he figures it out, to burn you throughout the year and during the playoffs.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah the Flyers inquiry was likely over a year ago....when Raffl was out top LW....lol. Since then:

Giroux moved to LW
Signed JVR
Lindblom came over from SHL
Laughton moved to LW

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not sure the issue is exclusively OP here; the headline editor at Sportsnet who bulleted the point as "Canadiens among teams interested in Sam Bennett" probably had a hand in it as well.

Either way, this doesn't feel like much of a story, but it's interesting to know who's been monitoring the Bennett situation, I suppose.
Sure, but if the OP had read the article he could have seen what it was referring to.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not recently, he’s played 2 full seasons and hasn’t missed many games to injury for most of his career. I’d say it’s not really even an issue considering how hard he hits shoulder to shoulder.
Sounds like he lost his 2 most crucial development years though. First 2 pro. As a general rule of thumb is it hard for them to make it back. Most don't, as puts them behind in learning curve. But I imagine there is an exception here and there. He may come back to be top player. However, if I was another team I would not offer big for him in trade. As odds are against him. This year if he doesn't advance chances are he won't.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This topic was beaten to death yesterday afternoon on the Flames local radio station (the same on Elliott appeared on to talk about).

By the sounds of it, teams have definitely been inquiring about his availability. Apparently in the Canes deal, Bennett was one of the original pieces in the deal. By the sounds of it, the Flames are open to moving Benny, but not for a song. Like there's no point in moving Sam Bennett for a 2nd round pick, that makes Calgary a worse team right now and likely in the future.

One of the things bounced around was the idea that they would be open to move him in a high upside struggling player for high upside struggling player trade. Similar to the Domi/Galchenyuk deal.

I do feel bad for the kid. He never got a fair shake in Calgary. His rookie season was more impressive than Sean Monahan's, but it was kind of downhill from there. Essentially, Monahan, drafted in front of him was given the top line role with Johnny. Then Calgary drafted Matt Tkachuk, who opposed to what HF thinks, is an elite player. Then the team has the worst bottom 6 likely league wide (considering people on Calgary's bottom 6 from the past couple years are either not in the league or on league minimums/PTO type deals), and slotted Bennett to be the driving force with guys who were barely NHL quality. He isn't that type of player. He can't do that, not at the age of 20 at least. So Bennett was stuck in terms of not playing 1LW, 2LW or 1C or 2C... the coach refused to give him a look at 1RW, opting instead to give guys like Alex Chiasson the time of day.

Really it was a mix of circumstance, performance and coaching. I think given some decent PP time, and top 6 minutes, he'd be a good player for someone. I don't think he'll be a 1C or something, but I could see a skill/grit 40-50 point player with the right make up.

The worst part, is even if he breaks out with a 20 goal season in Calgary, we likely can't afford him regardless.

I disagree.

If they think Bennett is not likely going to be a player, there is a point in trading him for futures, even if it is a return much lower than what Bennett was valued at during his peak value. The point is, if they can get a late 1st or a 2nd round pick for Bennett now, odds are he's not worth that much a year from now, and beyond that time frame he might not even be a Flame.

I'm not saying the Flames view him that way, and that assessment of him could turn out wrong, but there's a point in selling off a depreciating asset before it loses all value. The point is to get something for him.

An example, Lazar's peak value was never as high as Bennett's, but it was pretty high. The Sens got a late 2nd in a supposedly weak draft for Lazar, so not a major asset when they probably could have used Lazar as a major trade chip two years earlier. Had they thought to themselves "Lazar was worth at least a 1st two years ago, no point in taking a 2nd", they'd have walked away with absolutely nothing because Lazar was a depreciating asset. There's numerous examples like this (Yakupov being one).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I disagree.

If they think Bennett is not likely going to be a player, there is a point in trading him for futures, even if it is a return much lower than what Bennett was valued at during his peak value. The point is, if they can get a late 1st or a 2nd round pick for Bennett now, odds are he's not worth that much a year from now, and beyond that time frame he might not even be a Flame.

I'm not saying the Flames view him that way, and that assessment of him could turn out wrong, but there's a point in selling off a depreciating asset before it loses all value. The point is to get something for him.

An example, Lazar's peak value was never as high as Bennett's, but it was pretty high. The Sens got a late 2nd in a supposedly weak draft for Lazar, so not a major asset when they probably could have used Lazar as a major trade chip two years earlier. Had they thought to themselves "Lazar was worth at least a 1st two years ago, no point in taking a 2nd", they'd have walked away with absolutely nothing because Lazar was a depreciating asset. There's numerous examples like this (Yakupov being one).

The point is, Sam Bennett is already a 30 point player who can play the PK, and given a top 6 role, can likely produce similar to his rookie numbers.
His value isn't depreciating by the minute. The guy just had his best game of the season moved onto the third line.

'Being a player" is a weird statement. He's already a player. He won't be a first line centre, but he'll be a valuable piece none the less, he already is. He's not a Curtis Lazar / Nail Yakupov who are struggling to even be relevant. Comparing Benny to either of these players goes to show how many people follow the kid.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Jones is a good prospect but too high for the NHL proven talent in Bennett? I'm not so sure about that. Yeah, Bennett has disappointed but what makes you think Jones's 0.88 pts/game transitions to better than Bennett at the NHL when Bennett had 1.21 pts/game in the OHL?

How do you measure that Jones won't disappoint like Bennett?

Jones is younger than Bennett. I have him ranked as a late bloomer. We’ve already seen what Bennett is about and he’s almost washed. Why would I trade a younger player for a washed player??? That doesn’t make sense. Dudes stats are bad also.

I’m not trading a 1998 kid for a 96 kid who wouldn’t improve the ducks at all in any faceted way.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Have you all seen Bennett this season??? Dude hasn’t done crap at all besides a fat -1 on the score sheet. Along with his fat -47 on his career. Not giving Max Jones up for that.

Cmon man stop doing click bait Friendman for ducks fans to read.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Dude Sam Bennett is washed man. Max Jones is two years younger and can be a late bloomer. We haven’t seen what he can do in the NHL yet. We have with Sam Bennett and his fat -47 +\- career. I’m not trading a possible late bloomer for crap like that. He is continuing the same routine this year as well with -1.

Sam Bennett wouldn’t even make our team right now with the kids we have who are doing extremely well.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Dude Sam Bennett is washed man. Max Jones is two years younger and can be a late bloomer. We haven’t seen what he can do in the NHL yet. We have with Sam Bennett and his fat -47 +\- career. I’m not trading a possible late bloomer for crap like that. He is continuing the same routine this year as well with -1.

Sam Bennett wouldn’t even make our team right now with the kids we have who are doing extremely well.
Sam Bennett would absolutely make the Ducks. I’d easily send down Steel and try him out at center or at wing over Terry and Street.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Sam Bennett would absolutely make the Ducks. I’d easily send down Steel and try him out at center or at wing over Terry and Street.

No way Merlin. Steel would out play this guy man. And I’m sure as hell not giving up Max Jones for em whos 2 years younger and has barely started his career.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Sam Bennett would not make a team that currently has Ben Street, Sam Steel, Troy Terry, Maxime Comtois, Kiefer Sherwood, and Carter Rowney on it's active roster? Come on, Get real.

No way Merlin. Steel would out play this guy man. And I’m sure as hell not giving up Max Jones for em whos 2 years younger and has barely started his career.

So Max Jones is just beginning to enter his career while Bennett is a "washed" NHL talent being a mere year and a half older? Your ignorance is laughable.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Have you all seen Bennett this season??? Dude hasn’t done crap at all besides a fat -1 on the score sheet. Along with his fat -47 on his career. Not giving Max Jones up for that.

Cmon man stop doing click bait Friendman for ducks fans to read.

Because +/- mean something

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calgary ain't interested in trading Bennett for futures regardless. Point is moot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad