Friedman: Anaheim, Tampa, Philadelphia, and Montreal have inquired about Sam Bennett over the years

Oct 18, 2011
Sam Bennett's last two years..

52 points

Nick Ritchies last two years...

55 points

Yet people are on here acting like Bennett has far more value

Their value is about the same. That's just the truth

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I wonder what the ask from PHI was. I could see Bennett being one of Hextall toys, but Hakstol may not like him because he isn’t “experienced”. Bennett reminds me of Scott Laughton. Laughton had a hard jump to the NHL, but really found his niche as a role player.

I don’t think there’s a spot for Bennett on the flyers current roster... only as a 4C or a shifter in the lineup. It wouldn’t be a good idea to pay a lot for someone like that. This isn’t degrading to Bennett in anyway, but I feel as if that’s what would happen to him in Philly.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Bennett just shows flickers of his do-it-all Swiss Army knife style (like he has to start this season)

Don’t see him being traded anymore. Unless it’s for a young stud goalie.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I don't follow the Flames, but when i saw Bennet play i was quite underwhelmed. I guess the Flames better keep him, because i can't see a GM giving up too much for a guy who has a huge bust potential.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I don't follow the Flames, but when i saw Bennet play i was quite underwhelmed. I guess the Flames better keep him, because i can't see a GM giving up too much for a guy who has a huge bust potential.
Even if he remained what he is now, he is not a bust. He will be in the NHL for a long time as a 3rd/4th liner. That’s not a bust.

Is it lower than what flames fans have expected? Sure. He had hype and some of use still hope he turns up a few notches

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hindsight is 20/20, but should have moved him when he still had significant value.
No.

Obviously no one watched the last three games? Bennett looks great. A physical presence that provides depth scoring is the Flames exact need, in terms of forwards.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Even if he remained what he is now, he is not a bust. He will be in the NHL for a long time as a 3rd/4th liner. That’s not a bust.

Is it lower than what flames fans have expected? Sure. He had hype and some of use still hope he turns up a few notches

For sure, it's all a question of expectation.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

52 points

55 points

When all things are equal, people will look at potential. That is why people give the nod to Bennett over Ritchie. That said, I don't think the difference in value, when factoring in potential is significant.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Bennett has been good this season.
Very good the last two games.
Started on 4th line and played his way onto 3rd line, now with James Neal. People don't know what they're talking about.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Bennett has been good this season.
Very good the last two games.
Started on 4th line and played his way onto 3rd line, now with James Neal. People don't know what they're talking about.
It's been 5 games. He's had 5-10 games stretches that were good before. Him being good to start the year is nice, don't get me wrong, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
What has happebed to Sam Bennet ??

I remember when the Canucks played the Flames in rnd 1 a few yrs ago and Hughson and CBC kept referring to him as 19 yr old Sam Bennet. They were in awe of this guy. Compared him to doug gilmour.

He had the same comparison when he played in Kingston as well. Def one of the best junior players I have ever seen.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It's been 5 games. He's had 5-10 games stretches that were good before. Him being good to start the year is nice, don't get me wrong, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

He's never played like this before. Bennett seems physically stronger and the new coaching regime is a much better fit with his game.

He's played a feisty game before, but now he's throwing big hits. I do agree that it's been a small sample size, but we he was key in that Colorado win. The Flames should not trade him now.

Reactions: Haatley

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

52 points

55 points

Ritchie refuses to sign and Bennett is playing great. The Flames would not make that trade right now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's never played like this before. Bennett seems physically stronger and the new coaching regime is a much better fit with his game.

He's played a feisty game before, but now he's throwing big hits. I do agree that it's been a small sample size, but we he was key in that Colorado win. The Flames should not trade him now.
Yes, he has played like this before, November-December of last year to be more specific, just before Jagr was injured and just after Hathaway we recalled.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Lol! I'm sure alot of teams have inquired about certain players over the years as well. Any rumors or speculation of teams inquiring about certain players over the last few days?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We're happy to keep Benny.
Even his teammates are saying they haven't seen this level of play from him before (Backs radio interview). The guy has shown flashes of dominance. There was a stretch last year he was Calgary more dangerous and probably best forward for a 10-15 games or so.

Honestly, he hasn't looked this good since that 18 year old playoff series... Or really most playoffs. I feel like once he figures it out, things are going to be gravy for Benny. The guy skates, is tough as nails, has skill and has good IQ; not sure why you trade that in a 22 year old.

I feel he's going to have a little coming out party this season; he has more points than he did 17 games into last season already... really do think he develops into a solid player for Calgary. If he keeps up this pace, that third line/split second line are going to be a handful. Against Colorado the guy was unreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad