Friedman: Anaheim, Tampa, Philadelphia, and Montreal have inquired about Sam Bennett over the years

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sam Bennett would not make a team that currently has Ben Street, Sam Steel, Troy Terry, Maxime Comtois, Kiefer Sherwood, and Carter Rowney on it's active roster? Come on, Get real.

So Max Jones is just beginning to enter his career while Bennett is a "washed" NHL talent being a mere year and a half older? Your ignorance is laughable.

The same Ducks fan who wanted to move Manson for forward help and replace him in our top 4 with Ondrej Sustr, is now telling you our forward group is too good to include Bennett. Makes perfect sense right?

Reactions: HighLifeMan

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Because +/- mean something

Look at his career stats. Please tell me how he would fit on our roster? He’s a worst version of Nick Ritchie. Who’s good for maybe 25 pts a season. The kids on our roster are a lot better than him, and are making an immediate impact on this team winning games at the moment.

Why would we handicap ourselves with another Nick Ritchie? Doesn’t make sense

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
The same Ducks fan who wanted to move Manson for forward help and replace him in our top 4 with Ondrej Sustr, is now telling you our forward group is too good to include Bennett. Makes perfect sense right?

I’m still standing by my trade evaluation. Nylander is worth Manson. If you think otherwise that’s your own problem. Nylander is still needed here if we can get em. But that’s on another note. No need to derail the thread.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
This topic was beaten to death yesterday afternoon on the Flames local radio station (the same on Elliott appeared on to talk about).

By the sounds of it, teams have definitely been inquiring about his availability. Apparently in the Canes deal, Bennett was one of the original pieces in the deal. By the sounds of it, the Flames are open to moving Benny, but not for a song. Like there's no point in moving Sam Bennett for a 2nd round pick, that makes Calgary a worse team right now and likely in the future.

One of the things bounced around was the idea that they would be open to move him in a high upside struggling player for high upside struggling player trade. Similar to the Domi/Galchenyuk deal.

I do feel bad for the kid. He never got a fair shake in Calgary. His rookie season was more impressive than Sean Monahan's, but it was kind of downhill from there. Essentially, Monahan, drafted in front of him was given the top line role with Johnny. Then Calgary drafted Matt Tkachuk, who opposed to what HF thinks, is an elite player. Then the team has the worst bottom 6 likely league wide (considering people on Calgary's bottom 6 from the past couple years are either not in the league or on league minimums/PTO type deals), and slotted Bennett to be the driving force with guys who were barely NHL quality. He isn't that type of player. He can't do that, not at the age of 20 at least. So Bennett was stuck in terms of not playing 1LW, 2LW or 1C or 2C... the coach refused to give him a look at 1RW, opting instead to give guys like Alex Chiasson the time of day.

Really it was a mix of circumstance, performance and coaching. I think given some decent PP time, and top 6 minutes, he'd be a good player for someone. I don't think he'll be a 1C or something, but I could see a skill/grit 40-50 point player with the right make up.

The worst part, is even if he breaks out with a 20 goal season in Calgary, we likely can't afford him regardless.

but bennett never put the numbers Chucky and Domi did in their young NHL career, so theres no proofs he's struggling and can bounce back to that because he never did it. i'm not one to say he's a bust, but if he isn't it's somewhere else with a change of scenery!

Reactions: Iceman

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Look at his career stats. Please tell me how he would fit on our roster? He’s a worst version of Nick Ritchie. Who’s good for maybe 25 pts a season. The kids on our roster are a lot better than him, and are making an immediate impact on this team winning games at the moment.

Why would we handicap ourselves with another Nick Ritchie? Doesn’t make sense

You're doing the shiny new toy thing. All summer you were starting threads wanting to blow up our top 4 to bring in forward help and then after the first day of camp suddenly you completely flip flopped.

The Ducks have been badly outplayed and are missing the forwards who are out of the lineup. Don't let the record after 4 games convince you otherwise.

I'm excited about the kids too, but you're way overdoing it here.

Reactions: NetflixandPhil

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
You're doing the shiny new toy thing. All summer you were starting threads wanting to blow up our top 4 to bring in forward help and then after the first day of camp suddenly you completely flip flopped.

The Ducks have been badly outplayed and are missing the forwards who are out of the lineup. Don't let the record after 4 games convince you otherwise.

I'm excited about the kids too, but you're way overdoing it here.

And you’re the one arguing about the forward core now, and you disagreed about bringing in Nylander. Fascinating.....

So you diss me on the Manson for Nylander trade idea. Bring it up in a Completely different thread. And then when I give positivity to our forward group you call it “badly outplayed” what side of the fence are you on? You seem just to give an opinion where ever the wind blows.

Do you see your contradictions?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
And you’re the one arguing about the forward core now, and you disagreed about bringing in Nylander. Fascinating.....

So you diss me on the Manson for Nylander trade idea. Bring it up in a Completely different thread. And then when I give positivity to our forward group you call it “badly outplayed” what side of the fence are you on? You seem just to give an opinion where ever the wind blows.

Do you see your contradictions?

The team is being badly outplayed, due in large part to the loss of key forwards being replaced by rookies. There absolutely would be room to give an opportunity to a guy like Bennett right now.

I brought up your "trade Manson and put Sustr in our top 4" idea to demonstrate how grossly misinformed you are. The fact you continue to stand by it after seeing Sustr play just further makes my point - your evaluations are a mess.

Reactions: Starat327

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Calgary waited too long to move Bennett.
I don't think they move on from him until a new GM who isn't attached comes in.

Reactions: 405Exit

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Calgary waited too long to move Bennett.
I don't think they move on from him until a new GM who isn't attached comes in.

Agreed. Bennett is there problem. Not anyone else’s. We already have a nick Ritchie on our hands we don’t need another. You get an up vote from me

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
You do realize Bennett and Ritchie are nothing alike in terms of playing style?

They are both bad though Merlin. Both can barely put up points. Both are struggling to Hell in a full season. Why would we take on another handicap? Like why?

Please tell me why we would take a equivalent of a struggling player like Ritchie. Screw the play style. They match almost exact production stat wise okay?

He does nothing for us that we don’t already have and arguably better in our system with the kids.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
They are both bad though Merlin. Both can barely put up points. Both are struggling to Hell in a full season. Why would we take on another handicap? Like why?

Please tell me why we would take a equivalent of a struggling player like Ritchie. Screw the play style. They match almost exact production stat wise okay?

He does nothing for us that we don’t already have and arguably better in our system with the kids.
He’s shown he’s capable of playing a full season in the NHL. Our kids haven’t shown that.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Yet! Key word yet Merlin because most are rookies so you’re not giving a fair statement and assessment
It’s unrealistic to assume all of these guys will be full NHLers this season. Terry and Steel already don’t look ready. I’d easily acquire Bennett for cheap and slot him somewhere on the third line if we had the chance.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Agreed. Bennett is there problem. Not anyone else’s. We already have a nick Ritchie on our hands we don’t need another. You get an up vote from me

How is Bennett a problem? At worst he looks like a solid 3rd line energy guy who will chip in for 30 points. The Flames actually need just that desperately in their bottom 6.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
How is Bennett a problem? At worst he looks like a solid 3rd line energy guy who will chip in for 30 points. The Flames actually need just that desperately in their bottom 6.

Because we don’t need a 30 point energy guy. We need true scoring forwards. Our defense holds most teams to 1-3 goals a game. We lose because of very few goals scored.

Bennett doesn’t bring in anything Anaheim needs value wise with what we already have.

And Max Jones isn’t going to Calgary for Sam Bennett no way shape or form.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Because we don’t need a 30 point energy guy. We need true scoring forwards. Our defense holds most teams to 1-3 goals a game. We lose because of very few goals scored.

Bennett doesn’t bring in anything Anaheim needs value wise with what we already have.

Okay....Calgary isn't interested in trading Bennett right now. In the Carolina deal, they gave up Ferland, who is a very useful player, when the initial ask was Bennett.

Bennett is a cost controlled bottom six energy guy with a physical presence. Calgary needs that. The only thing that Calgary may need instead is a goalie upgrade. I don't think Calgary management has given up on Smith yet though.

It'd be nice if Bennett developed into a 60 point player, but with Lindholm working out and Tkachuk in beast mode, Calgary isn't desperate for help in their top 6.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island

You can keep Max Jones. Calgary wouldn’t do that deal either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad