Friedman: Anaheim, Tampa, Philadelphia, and Montreal have inquired about Sam Bennett over the years

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I could see Anaheim being interested... but would have to be around Ritchie and bennet I guess. Maybe max jones I suppose.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not so sure the Flames are ready to liquidate Bennett just yet. I'm sure patience is running thin though... He's been disappointing.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
What has happebed to Sam Bennet ??

I remember when the Canucks played the Flames in rnd 1 a few yrs ago and Hughson and CBC kept referring to him as 19 yr old Sam Bennet. They were in awe of this guy. Compared him to doug gilmour.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
What has happebed to Sam Bennet ??

I remember when the Canucks played the Flames in rnd 1 a few yrs ago and Hughson and CBC kept referring to him as 19 yr old Sam Bennet. They were in awe of this guy. Compared him to doug gilmour.
Unfortunately I think it’s come down to a few things:

1) He started his career off as a winger on a line with strong possession players (Backlund and Frolik). He gained a lot of confidence and ice time here and had success.

2) In his second year and third year, he was put at Centre with less skilled players and was expected to drive the line himself. He carried around players like Chiasson, Brouwer, Stajan, McGrattan etc. This isn’t a recipe for success for any skill player.

3) He’s now been paired with Janikowski, which has been better than previous, but still hasn’t meshed perfectly.

Routinely he will be driving the zone with the puck, and his linemates are changing off or are far behind Sam and he runs into 3+ players in the O-zone. Things seem to be looking up with Neal and Dube on his line last season, but we will see if Peters sticks with this matchup.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Just trade him. He needs to get the hell away from Calgary.

Doesn't seem to matter what or how he plays. Always underused and snake bit.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Tampa wanted to do a drouin/bennet swap if I remember correctly. At least that was the rumor...2 years ago.
Haven't heard that. I know they were working on a deal for Bishop around the draft a few years ago which never materialized so maybe it was then? Bishop didn't want to sign long term in Calgary which killed the deal.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Geeze i always forget that Bennett is even around

I remember being so high on the guy a few years back

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Not getting the strong negative reaction to the quote. What’s wrong with saying other teams have looked at him over the years? Why is it hard to believe teams have looked at it? He’s not trying to start a rumor by saying any of that. Much ado about nothing.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Over the years?
How many years?
He was drafted in 2014, so I’m assuming it started during his draft year, prior to the draft.
Wow, imagine hockey teams inquiring about a hockey player.
Freidman never ceases to amaze with his ability to unearth and shine a light on the blatantly obvious!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad