Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
So much for Guhle supposedly getting more ice time and development in San Diego. Can’t give another Gull a look in Anaheim?

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
So much for Guhle supposedly getting more ice time and development in San Diego. Can’t give another Gull a look in Anaheim?

I'd bring Mahura back up, give him a couple games to show what he can do with top-4 ice time while Fowler-Gudbranson pairing is shelved. But I get it if they'd rather keep feeding him top-pairing minutes in San Diego.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Last edited:

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
wonderful, nothing like losing out on a talented center. I thought I remember scouts comparing him to Kopitar I believe. Maybe he thinks we did him a favor by letting him go.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
wonderful, nothing like losing out on a talented center. I thought I remember scouts comparing him to Kopitar I believe. Maybe he thinks we did him a favor by letting him go.
Nattinen had effort issues while he was here, that is why he was so low on San Diego's depth chart and that is why he was terminated. It had nothing to do with not seeing his talent.

It's a shame that's what it took for him to find his game, though I am really doubtful that he comes to NA and is able to fight through the physicality.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

IIRC, Nattinen plays wing now, not center. I guess with less responsibilities, he's able to focus on just scoring. His game went downhill fast after his first year on NA ice. It was baffling to see him flame out in the second year after a wonderful first year on NA ice.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Here are a couple of candidates from Finland/Liiga:

Jerry Turkulainen (RW) -- Other than size/physicality, he has everything that you want in a good top-6 winger. Already a top line contributor at the Liiga level at age 21. Eligible for a 3-year ELC, has tons of room to keep developing as a player. If nothing else, IMO he would be a great player for San Diego.

Veeti Vainio (RHD) -- Was getting quite a bit of attention from prospect wathers before the 2015 draft, very talented kid. Since then, absolutely nothing went right for him -- injuries, underachieving, the whole spectrum. This season he's made a big time comeback to the professional level. Still only 22 years old, the kid wouldn't have stuck around for this long if he didn't have a ton of passion for the game. Eligible for a 2-year ELC I believe.

Hannes Björninen (C/W) -- Role player with a ton of heart. Plays the game with intensity, not afraid to get physical or go to the dirty areas. Has some skill too, not "just" a grinder. Currently wears the "C" for his club, has worn a letter since age 21. Eligible for a 1-year ELC.

Eemeli Suomi (C/LW) -- 5-year Liiga veteran at age 24. A hard-working do-it-all type forward, is currently competing for the Liiga top scorer's award. Is the captain and #1 forward for Ilves (Dostal's club!). Other than chasing for championship gold, has absolutely nothing to prove at the Liiga level anymore. Eligible for a 1-year ELC.

IIRC, Nattinen plays wing now, not center. I guess with less responsibilities, he's able to focus on just scoring. His game went downhill fast after his first year on NA ice. It was baffling to see him flame out in the second year after a wonderful first year on NA ice.

Yes, Nättinen is playing RW now. He's still one of the leading scorers in Liiga, but has flamed out a bit after his white-hot first half.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I thought I'd write my opinion on some of the trade deadline action so that everyone can point and laugh at me later. The trades are done and the new players are part of our roster so I suppose this is roster discussion. If not, please move this to the appropriate thread.

Kase for Backes (25% retained), Andersson, 1st
I completely understand moving away from Kase. I'm disappointed with the return because I thought taking back Backes should have been worth a late 1st. Still, we got a 1st and an RD prospect for a player who couldn't stay healthy so that's something. I hope Kase will have better luck with the Bruins, but not so much success that it makes this trade look silly.

Ritchie for Heinen
Didn't like this one. Ritchie's physicality gives smaller guys like Terry more space and that would have been needed in the future. Heinen doesn't really excel at anything. Defensively responsible but doesn't consistently create a whole lot of offense, soft as butter compared to Ritchie. Not a bad player, but Ritchie filled a bigger need imo. Admittedly I'm not high on Jones at all. Comtois, though, could fill Ritchie's role in the future.

Sprong for Djoos
I like this one. I'm in the minority but I really didn't see Sprong working out for us. He has a great shot but that's all there is. Our defense is a mess, might as well try Djoos who is more ready (yes, older too) than Mahura. I'm trying to forget that we traded Pettersson for Sprong.

Shore for Milano
I like this one, too. Shore was fine on the 4th line, but the emergence of Deslauriers made him expendable. He didn't belong anywhere near the top six. Milano has his warts but the skills are there, no reason not to give him a chance.

Grant for Criscuolo + 4th
Ugh. I guess Grant didn't want to re-sign, otherwise this looks bad. Should have gotten more to make it worthwhile. I mean Goodrow got a 1st rounder and we couldn't get a 3rd for Grant... I suppose Backes will be playing on the 4th line then.

Holzer for Irwin + 2022 6th :laugh:
We got a pick so I'll call this a solid win. Another bonus is that Eakins is not as close with Irwin as he was with Holzer, so he is less likely to play him over more deserving guys.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I thought I'd write my opinion on some of the trade deadline action so that everyone can point and laugh at me later. The trades are done and the new players are part of our roster so I suppose this is roster discussion. If not, please move this to the appropriate thread.

Kase for Backes (25% retained), Andersson, 1st
I completely understand moving away from Kase. I'm disappointed with the return because I thought taking back Backes should have been worth a late 1st. Still, we got a 1st and an RD prospect for a player who couldn't stay healthy so that's something. I hope Kase will have better luck with the Bruins, but not so much success that it makes this trade look silly.

Ritchie for Heinen
Didn't like this one. Ritchie's physicality gives smaller guys like Terry more space and that would have been needed in the future. Heinen doesn't really excel at anything. Defensively responsible but doesn't consistently create a whole lot of offense, soft as butter compared to Ritchie. Not a bad player, but Ritchie filled a bigger need imo. Admittedly I'm not high on Jones at all. Comtois, though, could fill Ritchie's role in the future.

Sprong for Djoos
I like this one. I'm in the minority but I really didn't see Sprong working out for us. He has a great shot but that's all there is. Our defense is a mess, might as well try Djoos who is more ready (yes, older too) than Mahura. I'm trying to forget that we traded Pettersson for Sprong.

Shore for Milano
I like this one, too. Shore was fine on the 4th line, but the emergence of Deslauriers made him expendable. He didn't belong anywhere near the top six. Milano has his warts but the skills are there, no reason not to give him a chance.

Grant for Criscuolo + 4th
Ugh. I guess Grant didn't want to re-sign, otherwise this looks bad. Should have gotten more to make it worthwhile. I mean Goodrow got a 1st rounder and we couldn't get a 3rd for Grant... I suppose Backes will be playing on the 4th line then.

Holzer for Irwin + 2022 6th :laugh:
We got a pick so I'll call this a solid win. Another bonus is that Eakins is not as close with Irwin as he was with Holzer, so he is less likely to play him over more deserving guys.

I am fine with all trades except the ones with Boston. We took over $3 million in cap space and gave them the players with the most upside, and they didn't give up a single top 10 prospect. They have two players who can overachieve and also have more money to resign Krug. We get one guy back who has performed worse and worse the past 2 years, and a crapshot with the 1st round and swedish model that we won't be seeing for at least 2-3 years.

BM does well on these waiver/small trades. He's not good with higher valued trades. I guess thats why he is called Bargain Bob or Barstool Bob.

Reactions: Getzmonster

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA
BM does well on these waiver/small trades. He's not good with higher valued trades. I guess thats why he is called Bargain Bob or Barstool Bob.

He did pretty great on the Bobby Ryan/Kesler deals.

agree on the rest though, we should’ve received more from Boston

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Rakell/Milano and Heinen/Silfverberg shouldn't be on the same line.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Heinen
Milano-Henrique-Silfverberg
Jones-Steel-Terry
Deslauriers-Agozzino/Backes-Rowney

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Rakell/Milano and Heinen/Silfverberg shouldn't be on the same line.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Heinen
Milano-Henrique-Silfverberg
Jones-Steel-Terry
Deslauriers-Agozzino/Backes-Rowney

Milano Getzlaf Silfverberg
Heinen Henrique Terry (I really think this line would be great together)
Jones Steel Rakell
Deslauriers Backes Rowney

until Rakell gets his head out of his ass

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
He did pretty great on the Bobby Ryan/Kesler deals.

agree on the rest though, we should’ve received more from Boston

We also made out with the Peter Holland trade (we got D Pettersson and F Kase), the Vatanen trade (Rico, Blandisi and 2018 3rd round pick, McLaughlin... Blandisi became Grant... Grant became a prospect and a 4th round pick), and are still waiting on the G Andersen trade (C Steel and LW Comtois).

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Terry replacing rakell next season is fine with me. So sad how the most dynamic player we have developed since Bobby has completely withdrawn into a shell.

I've been most disappointed with Steel's development, or rather lack thereof, and Rakell this season. Both are highly creative players who just... I dunno, seem to have their head up their ass as unfinished stated. On one play, Steel wouldn't even send a backhand pass today in transition and instead pulled it to his forehand which caused it to get intercepted and the Ducks took the subsequent too many men on the ice penalty. He has no confidence.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Yeah weird they sent Terry down when he was our player of the game for 2 games straight seemed he was starting to understand the pace.

Steel should be sent down to work on his offense and creativity, I want him to be a 2c not a grinding 3c

Reactions: Sean Garrity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3