Anaheim Ducks Prank Creates Uproar

danaluvsthekings

May 1, 2004
I think its ****ing stupid but its also ****ing stupid to complain about it and I think people who are complaining about it should be ridiculed.

I am not offended by the video and if I were offended by anything related to it, it would be that someone in PR/marketing wasn't able to make clear it's not the right time to release the video. That should have been an easy call. That said, the Ducks aren't the first organization to make a mistake of this nature and they won't be the last.

I wouldn't say that it is stupid to be complaining about it. If people don't let organizations know when they feel something is inappropriate, those organizations can't be expected to learn from it/improve themselves. It's not something that people need to be calling for boycots or people to be fired over, that would be an overreaction. But there is nothing wrong, if someone was disappointed by the video, in people letting the Ducks organization know with a tweet or e-mail that they were disappointed by it.

And so I won't be hypocrotical, Bailey can be a bit of an ass and some of the things I have seen him do I don't agree with (like going through a lady's purse). If he's a groper, he should have been fired.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
This is sexual harassment for the propose of sexual harassment. These players losing their jobs isn't enough, they need it put on their permanent record for all employers to see.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I am not offended by the video and if I were offended by anything related to it, it would be that someone in PR/marketing wasn't able to make clear it's not the right time to release the video. That should have been an easy call. That said, the Ducks aren't the first organization to make a mistake of this nature and they won't be the last.

I wouldn't say that it is stupid to be complaining about it. If people don't let organizations know when they feel something is inappropriate, those organizations can't be expected to learn from it/improve themselves. It's not something that people need to be calling for boycots or people to be fired over, that would be an overreaction. But there is nothing wrong, if someone was disappointed by the video, in people letting the Ducks organization know with a tweet or e-mail that they were disappointed by it.

And so I won't be hypocrotical, Bailey can be a bit of an ass and some of the things I have seen him do I don't agree with (like going through a lady's purse). If he's a groper, he should have been fired.

I don't think its something worthy of complaint. Naked guy + Office environment =/= Sexual harassment and IMO people that see it that way are trying wayyy too hard to be offended/disappointed/find mistakes or whatever euphemism you want to insert there. Instead of trying to make a political statement about it why can't people see it for what it is? A failed attempt at humor in a location that was probably easiest for them to film at.

If anything the Bieksa undercover skits where he literally groped John Gibson or crawled between Getzlaf's legs were more heinous than what is being portrayed in this video. Where was the backlash on that? Is it not as important because it was between 2 men? Is male sexual harassment not the hot button issue currently so it deserves less outrage?

Reactions: 23 others

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think it's a hilarious video. It's intended to be silly. If Kesler did something suggestive to the receptionist, then yes, that would have been too far.

Honest question: for those who are offended or feel it was ill-timed, would you feel differently if he walked in during a board meeting with all male executives? The punchline is the same; the setting/cast is altered.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think it has a lot more to do with social media tbh

Oh probably, but if you went around and sampled a similar sized crowd, I'm sure far fewer people would have cared. I think part of the reason society has become offended so easily is because they get more views and responses on social media.

Reactions: Master P

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think it's a hilarious video. It's intended to be silly. If Kesler did something suggestive to the receptionist, then yes, that would have been too far.

Honest question: for those who are offended or feel it was ill-timed, would you feel differently if he walked in during a board meeting with all male executives? The punchline is the same; the setting/cast is altered.

Yes the reaction likely would be different and more socially acceptable at this point but there's nothing wrong with that either. I don't have a problem with the humor even though it's a bit meh in its execution here but sometimes you have to aware of certain outside factors like the allegations going on in the public sphere when you're making something for the public sphere. Life and comedy is all about timing.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
If everybody in the video consented to being a part of the video and had no problem with what they saw, I have absolutely no problem with this. I can see why people are angry about this, given the recent outburst of workplace sexual harassment that we've seen, and the fact that the leader of the free world admitted to committing workplace sexual harassment regularly. I can also understand why people don't think it's okay to make light of something like this; people who have experienced workplace sexual harassment are seriously traumatized. Some have lost their job because they wouldn't have sex with their boss! It's not something to joke about at all.

I don't have a problem with Kesler or the Ducks doing this but the backlash is partially justified due to the prominence of workplace sexual harassment.

Dont you dare be rational.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
The most baffling thing to me is that people don't realize that the clip is 100% scripted. Which means the people in the video gave their consent. You guys probably believe reality-tv is also real?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
at least kesler doesn't grope people's rears in elevators like the kings mascot does

the timing of this video is why i get people taking issue with it. other than that, it's pretty harmless. i mean, unless you think kesler was actually walking naked through the ducks offices

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The most baffling thing to me is that people don't realize that the clip is 100% scripted. Which means the people in the video gave their consent. You guys probably believe reality-tv is also real?

You really think people are upset at this because of its scripted nature? Of course they aren't. They're upset at the content within the context of the social environment right now.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
You really think people are upset at this because of its scripted nature? Of course they aren't. They're upset at the content within the context of the social environment right now.

That's not what I said. I said It's mind-boggling that some people don't realize it's scripted and think it has been done without the permission of the people involved in the video.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
So since this is so triggering How do the guys manage to have showers after the game? Thats the workplace for them?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's not what I said. I said It's mind-boggling that some people don't realize it's scripted and think it has been done without the permission of the people involved in the video.

I sincerely doubt the amount of people that don't realize it's scripted is all that much. Even if what you said was true, that's hardly the point.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Where are all the people "getting triggered" that all you are talking about? I haven't seen a single post on here legitimately upset by this. Most just say it's stupid timing or tone deaf.

From the outside looking in, everyone getting riled up about non-existant SJWs or whatever seem to be getting "triggered" more than anyone

Last edited by a moderator:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Stupid little video, even more stupid reaction by anyone who was angered by the video. Haven't heard much about people being mad about it though. I can't wait for the tipping point to come when companies stop caring about vocal minorities on social media and realize that typically those complaints generally translate into nothing substantial. If there really are people who are upset by the video, which once again I haven't really seen evidence of, then I am amazed at how puritanical a certain segment of people has become.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Stupid thing to approve but I understand what they were going for. Bad timing and pretty tone deaf to release it. It should be understandable why people reacted negatively toward it. You got to have a little bit of awareness.
pretty much this

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Where are all the people "getting triggered" that all you are talking about? I haven't seen a single post on here legitimately upset by this. Most just say it's stupid timing or tone deaf.

From the outside looking in, everyone getting riled up about non-existant SJWs or whatever seem to be getting "triggered" more than anyone

It's the typical ratio. One person being outraged : fifty people whining about "SJWs", "PC culture", "snowflakes", "millennials", etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
For me personally, the only thing offensive here is the fact that I'm looking at Ryan Kesler.

But I would also think that PR people who get paid to avoid these issues kind of dropped the ball on this one.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yes the reaction likely would be different and more socially acceptable at this point but there's nothing wrong with that either. I don't have a problem with the humor even though it's a bit meh in its execution here but sometimes you have to aware of certain outside factors like the allegations going on in the public sphere when you're making something for the public sphere. Life and comedy is all about timing.

Sure you do, but the only difference is that only males are affected in my scenario. And let's not forget that Kevin Spacey is accused of soliciting a minor of the same sex.

Timing is very important in comedy. However, criticism needs to be even-handed to be valid.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
For the people who still don't understand that this may be some sort of a problem, the issue is with the timing and the context.

Would it have been a problem, on September 2nd 2001, if some guys made a horror comedy about guys who take magic mushrooms and go crashing airplanes into buildings? Probably not. However, would it have been a problem 10 days later? Absolutely, yes. The timing of this is the issue. In a period of time

Curious, for those of you who bitch and moan about "special snowflakes" in this context: How many of you actually care about sexual harassment? How many of you think this is a serious problem, and how many of you think that it's no big deal, that boys will be boys, and that women lie for attention? Some food for thought.

This is a problem because it makes a joke of something that ruins people's lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjlee

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sure you do, but the only difference is that only males are affected in my scenario. And let's not forget that Kevin Spacey is accused of soliciting a minor of the same sex.

Timing is very important in comedy. However, criticism needs to be even-handed to be valid.

The Spacey thing has nothing to do with this scenario so I don't see the point in bringing that up. If you think that doing something like this to other guys in an executive board meeting shouldn't be treated differently then you're not taking into account a lot of different variables that go into why the workplace stuff is becoming a huge thing right now.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
For the people who still don't understand that this may be some sort of a problem, the issue is with the timing and the context.

Would it have been a problem, on September 2nd 2001, if some guys made a horror comedy about guys who take magic mushrooms and go crashing airplanes into buildings? Probably not. However, would it have been a problem 10 days later? Absolutely, yes. The timing of this is the issue. In a period of time

Curious, for those of you who ***** and moan about "special snowflakes" in this context: How many of you actually care about sexual harassment? How many of you think this is a serious problem, and how many of you think that it's no big deal, that boys will be boys, and that women lie for attention? Some food for thought.

This is a problem because it makes a joke of something that ruins people's lives.

Fitting username. I’m going to bet you thought it was hilarious when Joe Thornton’s quote came out after Hertl’s 4 goal game. Get off your high horse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad