Anaheim Ducks Prank Creates Uproar

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I think if they would have shown him just walking down the street or chilling out in the park, it might not have come across as quite so tone deaf. Or showing up at practice and walking naked on the ice around his confused teammates.

As an FYI I'm approaching this as a female, but I mean, having him do this in an office and walking past coworkers, including a woman? With what's going on right now? Come on. And of course people are going to brush issues of workplace appropriateness off as "not a big deal" or "everyone complains about everything these days" but really it's a dam bursting after putting up with this crap for decades and not being taken seriously. I've experienced it myself and I quit my job over it. Rather than being able to work in an environment where I felt comfortable and respected in a professional environment, it was brushed off as boys being boys.

They clearly didn't mean any harm but they could have approached it a little differently. Naked people and streakers are still funny, at least to me. But part of my sense of humor is perpetually twelve.

giphy.gif

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Checked on twitter and overall I'm seeing more outrage over the perceived outrage at this point.

It seems like that is how these things tend to go. People wait for someone to be offended, and then, regardless of why the person is offended, they descend with Triggered memes and accusations of hypocrisy in hand.

In my opinion, it's a silly video. In a vacuum, it is relatively innocent, and, as someone else said, as long as everyone in the video consented to what was going to happen there isn't a lot to be offended by in and of itself. Here's the kicker: we don't live in a vacuum. Outside factors absolutely influence how something like this will be taken, and it doesn't even require outrage for a PR firm or even a couple of women in the Ducks organization to say, "you know, maybe this isn't the best idea right now."

Some people want to be offended, and some people want to be offended by people being offended. The rest of us just want people to stop and think for two damn seconds before they do something for the lulz.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
Well said. Regardless of which side someone is on, there doesn't need to be outrage. A simple adult conversation is all that really should be necessary, but sometimes I wonder if people are even capable of that anymore.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
D'uh.

Still, this was nothing.

I'm sure there are things which you find to be offensive or distasteful others do not. Maybe try to have an adult conversation about it instead of jumping on that high horse and telling people who see the world in a different way from you to grow up. That may be just slightly more productive and conducive to two sides understanding one another.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given everything out now about sexual harassment and everything this video is very bad timing. Think the Ducks should apologize for this and move on.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I think if they would have shown him just walking down the street or chilling out in the park, it might not have come across as quite so tone deaf. Or showing up at practice and walking naked on the ice around his confused teammates.

As an FYI I'm approaching this as a female, but I mean, having him do this in an office and walking past coworkers, including a woman? With what's going on right now? Come on. And of course people are going to brush issues of workplace appropriateness off as "not a big deal" or "everyone complains about everything these days" but really it's a dam bursting after putting up with this crap for decades and not being taken seriously. I've experienced it myself and I quit my job over it. Rather than being able to work in an environment where I felt comfortable and respected in a professional environment, it was brushed off as boys being boys.

They clearly didn't mean any harm but they could have approached it a little differently. Naked people and streakers are still funny, at least to me. But part of my sense of humor is perpetually twelve.

Your suggestion is to have him expose himself... in public... outside... in a park.... where children are? And that is somehow better than him walking around in the office with consenting adults because why? I guess I'll never understand the "logic" of triggered people.

Reactions: gunnergunther

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Yeah I'm pretty sure no one ever said anything about exposing anything to children.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
This thread has actually been pretty reasonable. Poor timing considering what's happening right now with all the sexual violence and harassment being brought forward... but I'm sure some people will be on a quest to have the hottest take on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad