Confirmed with Link: [ANA/WSH] Christian Djoos for Daniel Sprong

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Even if the Ducks get little out of Djoos it will be more than they were willing to get out of Sprong. For whatever reason Sprong was not working out here and he would have been gone after this season. This way the Ducks have some sort of asset. And, since the Ducks are desperate short of defensemen right now I suspect that we will be seeing Djoos as a regular in the line up until at least some of the injured Ducks defensemen return to the line up.

From Washington's perspective this trade saves them a bit of money for the balance of the season and as a cap hit. Djoos and Sprong both have one way contracts, but Djoos is paid $1.25 million while Sprong is paid $750,000. Even when Djoos was buried in the Washington minor league system he still had a small cap hit against the Capitals.

I find it interesting that the Ducks took Djoos even though he went to arbitration for this season with Washington. While BM may be vindictive regarding players who take him to arbitration, he was willing to take a player who went to arbitration against another team. We will see whether the Ducks even try to sign him for next year, and if so what they are willing to pay or if they get into arbitration with him.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I find it interesting that the Ducks took Djoos even though he went to arbitration for this season with Washington. While BM may be vindictive regarding players who take him to arbitration, he was willing to take a player who went to arbitration against another team. We will see whether the Ducks even try to sign him for next year, and if so what they are willing to pay or if they get into arbitration with him.

The irony is his salary is what kept him out of D.C., at least coming out of camp. They had under one million when camp broke and only had 22 players on the roster.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Once Djoos proves he is good you know Murray will trade him, hopefully by then Mahura is ready they play similar game.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
We didn't even develop Djoos, so I'm not sure who you are referring to. Who have we developed in to top 4 defenseman and then traded them without good reason?
Theodore, montour, vatanen were all developed by the ducks. Pettersson as well.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Curious to see if he keeps up the good play. He was a good depth guy in Washington, the poise and vision are evident it’s whether or not he can handle the physicality and be consistent in his own end over a whole season.

If not for the lack of a shot I think he could also be the answer to our PP QB woes. Unfortunately he has an absolute muffin. Makes Fowlers shot look like Shea Weber.

Reactions: duckpuck

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
None of Theo or Pettersson were fully developed by the the Ducks. They were both projects at that time.
Their most important development years were here. So I would say yes they were.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Neither Theo nor Pettersson were top 4 defensemen here. Montour wasn’t consistently one either. Vatanen was traded because we badly needed another center.
They are now, and they were developed here. Their prime development years was with the Anaheim Ducks organization.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We didn't even develop Djoos, so I'm not sure who you are referring to. Who have we developed in to top 4 defenseman and then traded them without good reason?

Theodore, montour, vatanen were all developed by the ducks. Pettersson as well.

I think your answer only addresses part 1 of his query. It was an "A and B" query, not an "A or B" query. Thus, making your answer incomplete and disingenuous.

All four defensemen were developed here and were traded with good reason.
  • Theodore was traded to protect Manson, whom the Ducks rated higher than Theo. Vegas was imposed to the whole NHL to prop them up into an instant, viable team to watch. Their twitter made note that they were looking at Anaheim's defensive players and how we couldn't protect them all.
  • Vatanen was traded to acquire a much needed top-2 center due to mass injuries. Vatanen netted us Rico, prospect Blandisi, and drafted F Blake McLaughlin. Blandisi was traded for Grant. Grant was just traded for a prospect and a 4th round pick. (We still have Rico and McLaughlin
  • Pettersson was traded to get more offense because our team was struggling. Pettersson was a bottom pairing prospect at the time of the trade. We got F Sprong. Sprong was then traded for D Djoos.
  • Monty was traded for several reasons which included bad fit, long fiscal concerns, and not playoff bound. Ducks received prospect D Guhle and drafted F Tracey. For the many fans begging that Murray continue to trade players for picks recently, it seems odd to fault Murray for trading Monty b/c he's doing what people were begging for at the TDL.
Due to the shortcomings of Kesler, Eaves, and Perry in recent years, the Ducks were imbalanced with respect to talent. We were deep at defense and set at goalie.

After the trade deadline, Murray has quickly revamped our blueline. We already have our top-4 set with Lindholm, Manson, Fowler, and Guds, when healthy. Djoos looks to be a mainstay at the NHL level (to be fair, he's better than Larsson, Guhle, and Holzer, which means I could have a low bar for mainstay in the NHL hahahhahaha). Larsson is slowly developing and is still at that AHL/NHL tweener stage. Guhle needs further seasoning at the AHL level. Prospect RHD Axel will be at the AHL next season. Benoit is slowly being groomed a la Manson. 2019 prospects LaCombe and Thrun are looking good, with Thrun being a very surprising talent while be drafted in the 4th round (but he had late 1st/top 2nd round mocking).

I do like MDZ on the bottom pairing and hope we can keep him next season because he brings more to the table as he has some offense, some skating, and some big hitting.

It's our forward core that hasn't been lit despite several investments at the expense of not drafting defensemen in the top two rounds for three drafts.

Reactions: Emerald Duck

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You can look at all 4 moves individually and find justifications for all of them (even if some of the justifications are highly questionable). But at the end of the day it’s Murray’s job to have a long term plan and vision and at a macro level. We went from having the deepest d core in the league to absolutely no depth in a matter of two seasons.

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
You can look at all 4 moves individually and find justifications for all of them (even if some of the justifications are highly questionable). But at the end of the day it’s Murray’s job to have a long term plan and vision and at a macro level. We went from having the deepest d core in the league to absolutely no depth in a matter of two seasons.
This needs to be repeated every time somebody tries to justify any individual deal made for our D. It is the perspective some refuse to accept. You can argue any one deal either way if you like. But at the end of the day the big picture went from a really deep D core to one of the very weakest in short order. That's the sign of a GM with no plan, just a hope and a prayer.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This needs to be repeated every time somebody tries to justify any individual deal made for our D. It is the perspective some refuse to accept. You can argue any one deal either way if you like. But at the end of the day the big picture went from a really deep D core to one of the very weakest in short order. That's the sign of a GM with no plan, just a hope and a prayer.

Yep. He’s reactive, not proactive.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yep. He’s reactive, not proactive.
Yes. And in the past we had a team that one could argue didn't need a lot of changes. So you could sometimes get away with waiting to see what you needed and then try to plug the hole. (Not that that worked so well, but the theory wasn't bad) But the idea of building a new team beyond Getzlaf and Perry should have already been part of a bigger plan at least 3 or 4 years ago. A team this bad cannot be piecemealed into a contender. But planning that big is really not Bob's strong suit. Especially not in a league that is changing along with society. In this environment, Bob is absolutely in over his head.

clownshoes

Mar 5, 2008
Windowless room
the exclamation mark is the ducks became a bottom 5 team in the process. no plan, all reactionary, and some a reaction to his own incompetence(bad contracts he made), he incompetently reacted to his own incompetence. i still feel like he doesn't have a plan. the TD was mostly retooling the line-up, none of the roster players he traded for are contracted beyond next season. hopefully he has something up his sleeve on draft day otherwise not a whole lot will have changed after two basement dwelling horrible seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony O

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
His wording was “developed into top 4 defensemen and THEN traded”

We are currently the minor league feeder team now... like the Marlins/Rays in Baseball. We like trading talented guys like Yelich for a small return just to prove how good we are at finding talent and to help other teams build a contender.

We had to give up Vatanen for Rico, and Ryan for Silver so those were lateral trades or with us giving up the better current player. But how many star /core players have we obtained through trades? None. How many have we lost? A few Allstars or near Allstars: Frederick Andersen, Palmieri, Theodore. We lost even useful role guys like Pettersson and Maroon. Those are just the guys that I can think of. We had pieces to be at least make the playoffs so we defintely made too many consecutive mistakes and deserve to be losers for a long while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad