Confirmed with Link: [ANA/WSH] Christian Djoos for Daniel Sprong

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I do think the idea of moving Pettersson for a young forward with scoring potential made a lot of sense, but Sprong was either a poor choice or wasn't developed any better here than in Pittsburgh (most likely some of both).
Sure, the concept was fine. But in hindsight, I don't get the feeling they put much effort into trying to make him a better defensive player. It was more like let's hope a change of scenery will somehow fix his deficiencies. Let's not forget when he got here Bob was still trying to save RC's job. Maybe the deal was never really very well thought out to begin with.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Sure, the concept was fine. But in hindsight, I don't get the feeling they put much effort into trying to make him a better defensive player. It was more like let's hope a change of scenery will somehow fix his deficiencies. Let's not forget when he got here Bob was still trying to save RC's job. Maybe the deal was never really very well thought out to begin with.
tenor.gif

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I do think the idea of moving Pettersson for a young forward with scoring potential made a lot of sense, but Sprong was either a poor choice or wasn't developed any better here than in Pittsburgh (most likely some of both).

Given that right shooting right wing was our biggest area of depth at the time and Sprong's own warts, it definitely comes off as a questionable choice, and that's not just hindsight. As far as development, it could be that theres not a lot you can do with a guy like that. His attitude certainly didn't seem to change.

More than anything it was a home run swing from an area of relative strength. It turned out badly, as many home run swings do, yet shouldn't be all that damaging long term. Djoos could mitigate much of the damage just by being decent, that's not so bad.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It's not all on the team though, the player needs to take a lot of the responsibility as well. Sprong obviously has a lot of talent, but he just can't seem to grasp what it takes to make it effective.

With Sprong in particular it's really tough to give him a lot of benefit of the doubt when theres an Athletic article speculating he wants out because he can't fathom why he didn't make the team.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Does it matter if he was never going to crack this lineup because of a coach, or because he was defensively lacking? I'd argue not, unless people genuinely thought Sprong would have stuck around to either wait out Eakins or make it based on another 8 games (which seems to be all that Eakins is willing to give).

Sure, maybe we should have given Sprong a longer stint. But he was never going to get that with us as long as he was here. Might as well get a prospect who is actually ready to seize a spot.

If Sprong is this amazing a prospect, then he should have dominated the AHL right?

AHL Stats
Sprong: Games = 39, 11g + 16a = 37 pts, plus/minus = -11
Terry: Games = 7, 3g + 7a = 10 pts, plus/minus = + 10

That was Terry with one leg! I don't comprehend this fascination about Sprong not given a chance. Sprong has to create that chance instead of wallow. The talent is there, but the head isn't. Remember Wild Bill? He too wallowed why he didn't make the NHL Ducks' club.

I'm one of Sprong's biggest supporters in the off-season too! It's sad to see Sprong not want to take the reins and go. I wish him well and hope he gets his mentality in check to become a productive NHL player.

Reactions: Arthuros

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We traded Sprong for Djoos. So the Pettersson-Sprong trade hasn't ended yet.

At the time of the trade, I think both teams won.

When we acquired Sprong, he only scored 4 goals at the NHL level across three seasons, or 42 games. With Anaheim, Sprong scored 14 goals in 47 games to concluded the 2018-19 season. He's an actual NHL goal scorer!

At the beginning of this season, Sprong didn't make the cut. Obviously the coaches know a bit more than us. Only with the season playing out can we identify that Sprong just doesn't play defense down in the AHL. Sprong didn't warrant being called up based upon merit, but rather via attrition due to injuries.

On a parallel thought, Ritchie was traded away for a 200 ft player. The thought remains consistent here. I hoped that since Sprong got a taste of a scoring touch at the NHL level that he would put in the work necessary to stay up here. Sprong is the only AHL/San Diego player with double digit negative plus/minus rating (-11)!

The trade didn't age well, but it made sense to trade for more scoring as GM Bob was trying to save RC's coaching job. And it paid off as the Ducks found a goal scorer. Coming into this year, the bar got raised and Sprong didn't rise to the occasion. That sucks for us. At least we moved onward and got another asset.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
We traded Sprong for Djoos. So the Pettersson-Sprong trade hasn't ended yet.

At the time of the trade, I think both teams won.

When we acquired Sprong, he only scored 4 goals at the NHL level across three seasons, or 42 games. With Anaheim, Sprong scored 14 goals in 47 games to concluded the 2018-19 season. He's an actual NHL goal scorer!

At the beginning of this season, Sprong didn't make the cut. Obviously the coaches know a bit more than us. Only with the season playing out can we identify that Sprong just doesn't play defense down in the AHL. Sprong didn't warrant being called up based upon merit, but rather via attrition due to injuries.

On a parallel thought, Ritchie was traded away for a 200 ft player. The thought remains consistent here. I hoped that since Sprong got a taste of a scoring touch at the NHL level that he would put in the work necessary to stay up here. Sprong is the only AHL/San Diego player with double digit negative plus/minus rating (-11)!

The trade didn't age well, but it made sense to trade for more scoring as GM Bob was trying to save RC's coaching job. And it paid off as the Ducks found a goal scorer. Coming into this year, the bar got raised and Sprong didn't rise to the occasion. That sucks for us. At least we moved onward and got another asset.
We really don't know what went on behind the scenes with Sprong. A lot of assumptions have been made on these boards about him not playing defense in SD, him being selfish, and him having a bad attitude. Perhaps they are true, I don't know. What I do know is that Sprong can score goals. The guy that "beat him out" in camp has 4 goals in 47 games this season playing with our best centers and getting lots of PP time. But I'm sure he has a better attitude than Sprong. As far as the trade, Pettersson has been solid on the second pairing for a much better team than the Ducks. We'll see about Djoos. I thought Ritchie brought more to the table than he was given credit for. I hope Heinen can turn things around here, as his career seems to be moving in the wrong direction. What concerns me is that there seems to be a pattern of players leaving the Ducks and improving with other teams. Not sure that the Ducks development system is maximizing the talent of our young players.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We really don't know what went on behind the scenes with Sprong. A lot of assumptions have been made on these boards about him not playing defense in SD, him being selfish, and him having a bad attitude. Perhaps they are true, I don't know. What I do know is that Sprong can score goals. The guy that "beat him out" in camp has 4 goals in 47 games this season playing with our best centers and getting lots of PP time. But I'm sure he has a better attitude than Sprong.

Stop. There is no assumptions about Sprong not playing defense as people have watched Sprong not play defense and report it to us in real time. That double digit plus/minus rating of -11 supports what they reported. No one else on the team has double-digit negative plus/minus ratings. You're quite full of yourself to tell us those who did watched Sprong have wrong information when you didn't witness it.

Also, you're not reading with comprehension either nor context. You opine for goal scoring, but we've blown leads to losses. We've blown multiple goal leads to losses. If Sprong isn't scoring goals, then he becomes a huge liability on defense. But your scope is quite minuscule that you're not willing to accept when Terry went down to the AHL with one leg, he was able to dominate as well as possess a positive double digit plus/minus rating of +10. Your fixation is on goal scoring only as opposed to a more complete player that can help the team out on a 200 foot sheet of ice.

Which brings us to the parallel of Ritchie, who was being shopped for quite some time, apparently. Ritchie does possess the highlights, but not enough of them to warrant keeping him. It sucks because I thought Ritchie turned it around last year and hoped he would push forward again this year. He hasn't on the whole. GM Murray trades him out for a more complete player in Heinen.

Our game play is one of sloppiness. It would be nice to cut those down. Terry is a more complete player than Sprong. Unless you're trying to say Sprong is the more complete player than Terry, then I'll respect your opinion, though I disagree with it as I provided the reasons why already.

AHL Stats (again b/c you didn't soak this in enough)
* Correction on Sprong: I can't maths. 11 + 16 = 27 pts, not 37 pts.
Sprong: 0.69 PPG, 0.28 goals/g, plus/minus = -11
Terry: 1.42 PPG, 0.48 goals/g, plus/minus = +10

Keep using rhetoric and willful ignorance of productions as well as scope to boost your adoration for Sprong. If Sprong can't dominate at the AHL level, then how can he dominate at the NHL level? He can't. That's a sobering fact I had to accept when people were reporting Sprong isn't playing defense or doing nothing outside of trying to score. But, hey, love makes one blind to negative things.

I hope Heinen can turn things around here, as his career seems to be moving in the wrong direction. What concerns me is that there seems to be a pattern of players leaving the Ducks and improving with other teams. Not sure that the Ducks development system is maximizing the talent of our young players.

I hate to break this to you, but teams who trade also want to be successful on their end. But man you love rhetoric a lot. Is Montour tearing up the league right now? Is Montour carrying the Sabres in a playoff spot right now? Grant isn't young, but Grant is far more productive in Anaheim than with any other team so far. We traded prospect F Blandisi for Grant, but Blandisi hasn't been a regular like Grant. (I think Blandisi is in the AHL right now at age 25.) Rowney's turned into a very good find. Deslauriers was a solid addition. What about Vatanen? He hasn't torn up the league either in all his years in New Jersey! With Sprong, he actually scored with the Ducks than with Pitt throughout his three year tenure. Unfortunately, the Ducks got healthy and the bar was raised in 2019-20 to where a one-trick pony couldn't hold an NHL spot. Pettersson is doing solid, but, as you've already stated, he's also on a better team.

Now, let's talk about our goalie development. I'm pretty sure we're still winning on that and with Dostal still on the way. I hate rhetoric.

The Ducks top-3 blue liners today are all drafted players. We actually did develop a lot of youthful defensemen with us, which is why other teams wanted them. This is why rhetoric is stupid b/c it omits that we actually developed the players well enough for other teams to inquire about them.

Teams involved in a trade all want to win and believe their system or atmosphere might be better. Sometimes, both teams win, both team lose, or one team does better. Sometimes a player needs a change of scenery. Sometimes a player just doesn't want to improve. Look at Wild Bill as a perfect example. His mentality has made two team move on from him. Maybe something in his head finally clicked that the problem could be him, not his talent. Now, he's fits his moniker for his prowess on the ice rather than describing the opposite personality of him.

It's quite a shame you don't incorporate nuance and supported substance in your thoughts. It's akin to the Angels baseball thread. You argued with him and now you side with me b/c of what Arte did recently, despite me stating that Arte's always been involved in baseball operations to my disliking. You simply just didn't want to believe it like you're admitting in your response comment here. I'll choose qualitative analysis over rhetoric everyday.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Stop. There is no assumptions about Sprong not playing defense as people have watched Sprong not play defense and report it to us in real time. That double digit plus/minus rating of -11 supports what they reported. No one else on the team has double-digit negative plus/minus ratings. You're quite full of yourself to tell us those who did watched Sprong have wrong information when you didn't witness it.

Also, you're not reading with comprehension either nor context. You opine for goal scoring, but we've blown leads to losses. We've blown multiple goal leads to losses. If Sprong isn't scoring goals, then he becomes a huge liability on defense. But your scope is quite minuscule that you're not willing to accept when Terry went down to the AHL with one leg, he was able to dominate as well as possess a positive double digit plus/minus rating of +10. Your fixation is on goal scoring only as opposed to a more complete player that can help the team out on a 200 foot sheet of ice.

Which brings us to the parallel of Ritchie, who was being shopped for quite some time, apparently. Ritchie does possess the highlights, but not enough of them to warrant keeping him. It sucks because I thought Ritchie turned it around last year and hoped he would push forward again this year. He hasn't on the whole. GM Murray trades him out for a more complete player in Heinen.

Our game play is one of sloppiness. It would be nice to cut those down. Terry is a more complete player than Sprong. Unless you're trying to say Sprong is the more complete player than Terry, then I'll respect your opinion, though I disagree with it as I provided the reasons why already.

AHL Stats (again b/c you didn't soak this in enough)
* Correction on Sprong: I can't maths. 11 + 16 = 27 pts, not 37 pts.
Sprong: 0.69 PPG, 0.28 goals/g, plus/minus = -11
Terry: 1.42 PPG, 0.48 goals/g, plus/minus = +10

Keep using rhetoric and willful ignorance of productions as well as scope to boost your adoration for Sprong. If Sprong can't dominate at the AHL level, then how can he dominate at the NHL level? He can't. That's a sobering fact I had to accept when people were reporting Sprong isn't playing defense or doing nothing outside of trying to score. But, hey, love makes one blind to negative things.

I hate to break this to you, but teams who trade also want to be successful on their end. But man you love rhetoric a lot. Is Montour tearing up the league right now? Is Montour carrying the Sabres in a playoff spot right now? Grant isn't young, but Grant is far more productive in Anaheim than with any other team so far. We traded prospect F Blandisi for Grant, but Blandisi hasn't been a regular like Grant. (I think Blandisi is in the AHL right now at age 25.) Rowney's turned into a very good find. Deslauriers was a solid addition. What about Vatanen? He hasn't torn up the league either in all his years in New Jersey! With Sprong, he actually scored with the Ducks than with Pitt throughout his three year tenure. Unfortunately, the Ducks got healthy and the bar was raised in 2019-20 to where a one-trick pony couldn't hold an NHL spot. Pettersson is doing solid, but, as you've already stated, he's also on a better team.

Now, let's talk about our goalie development. I'm pretty sure we're still winning on that and with Dostal still on the way. I hate rhetoric.

The Ducks top-3 blue liners today are all drafted players. We actually did develop a lot of youthful defensemen with us, which is why other teams wanted them. This is why rhetoric is stupid b/c it omits that we actually developed the players well enough for other teams to inquire about them.

Teams involved in a trade all want to win and believe their system or atmosphere might be better. Sometimes, both teams win, both team lose, or one team does better. Sometimes a player needs a change of scenery. Sometimes a player just doesn't want to improve. Look at Wild Bill as a perfect example. His mentality has made two team move on from him. Maybe something in his head finally clicked that the problem could be him, not his talent. Now, he's fits his moniker for his prowess on the ice rather than describing the opposite personality of him.

It's quite a shame you don't incorporate nuance and supported substance in your thoughts. It's akin to the Angels baseball thread. You argued with him and now you side with me b/c of what Arte did recently, despite me stating that Arte's always been involved in baseball operations to my disliking. You simply just didn't want to believe it like you're admitting in your response comment here. I'll choose qualitative analysis over rhetoric everyday.
Random reactions to your missive:
-Serious hockey analysts don't use +/- anymore. This isn't to say that Sprong is good defensively, he isn't.
-I have watched Sprong, both with the Ducks and in SD. Stop making assumptions about me.
-I opine for goal scoring, because this is what this team lacks. It's the reason Murray traded for him.
-I like all around players as well as anyone, but few of them exist. Just calling a guy a "200 ft. player" doesn't mean anything to me. It's just a narrative.
-Your rambling about sloppiness is just that, rambling. What does it mean. That Ducks turnover pucks?
That they leave guys uncovered in their own zone? Be specific.
-I never argued that Sprong was a better all around player than Terry. He isn't. But being responsible doesn't put the puck in the net. Playing a guy on top lines and the PP that has 4 goals in 47 games has consequences. I don't care how supposedly responsible he is. Ducks don't score enough goals to win games consistently.
-Sprong has dominated in the AHL. He scored 65 points in 65 games at the age of 20. Including 32 goals.
-Palmieri, Theodore, Karlsson, Pettersson, Wagner and Noesen (off the top of my head) all improved elsewhere.
-Goalie development has been outstanding.
-As for the Angels, I give opinions from afar. I have no agenda. I am a Dodger fan.

Reactions: 11Justin93

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011
I'll take absolutely anyone on a bet that Sprong scores 20+ next year. We gave up on a talented player before he hit his stride. It concerns me that there are idiots that think two way play is more important than putting the puck I the net. This team will never succeed as long as it values its vanilla players more than goal scorers.

Reactions: snowave
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'll take absolutely anyone on a bet that Sprong scores 20+ next year. We gave up on a talented player before he hit his stride. It concerns me that there are idiots that think two way play is more important than putting the puck I the net. This team will never succeed as long as it values its vanilla players more than goal scorers.

This is pretty hilarious considering this team was recently great for a number of years in large part because they know that having great all around players was better than one dimensional goal scorers.

I imagine Sprong might hit 20 next year...for Hershey.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'd bet that but you wouldn't pay so I am good.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Maybe we oversold the PP impact a little TOO much (small sample size of a whopping one game I know lol).

But it's been mentioned throughout the thread that he played 22 games during the Capitals cup run and watching him live tonight, it's easy to see why coaches would gravitate towards him: very poised under pressure (a welcome relief from the Chinese fire drill we've seen all season in our end), seems to have a good hockey IQ, good skater, positionally sound, good first pass, stays within himself.

Conclusion: We have a lot of bottom-pairing types, but he seems to be someone who could actually stick up here for multiple years as a very steady, rock-solid 5. Thought he made a very good first impression.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I just read an article by Pucks of a Feather, a Ducks' site, obviously, and they had a take that blew my mind. Their article was written before the game was ever played last night. GM Murray was making connected moves. Sprong became expendable when the Ducks acquired Milano in a trade, who is similar to Sprong, but plays a bit of defense. Milano is an upgraded Sprong. Then Sprong gets traded for a defenseman Djoos.

We're only seeing bits and pieces of it as well as talking about the picks in a vacuum, but Pucks of a Feather really made sense of the moves between the two trade of Shore-for-Milano and Sprong-for-Djoos.

Here's their article: link

A snippet about Sprong from the article:
It’s hard not to feel bad for Daniel Sprong, especially when we all had such high hopes for him when he came to Anaheim. However, for some reason, he found himself on the outside. His lethargic defensive skills likely contributed to that. With the addition of Sonny Milano, it was no surprise that Daniel Sprong was on the move.

Ya know, when so many people are identifying the same flaw in Sprong it seems astounding that someone could not accept all those reports as fact by now. Could only lead a horse to water.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I just read an article by Pucks of a Feather, a Ducks' site, obviously, and they had a take that blew my mind. Their article was written before the game was ever played last night. GM Murray was making connected moves. Sprong became expendable when the Ducks acquired Milano in a trade, who is similar to Sprong, but plays a bit of defense. Milano is an upgraded Sprong. Then Sprong gets traded for a defenseman Djoos.

We're only seeing bits and pieces of it as well as talking about the picks in a vacuum, but Pucks of a Feather really made sense of the moves between the two trade of Shore-for-Milano and Sprong-for-Djoos.

Here's their article: link

A snippet about Sprong from the article:

Ya know, when so many people are identifying the same flaw in Sprong it seems astounding that someone could not accept all those reports as fact by now. Could only lead a horse to water.
It be interesting to see how Milano works out with the Ducks. He seems to have a similar profile to Sprong. Columbus was willing to trade him for a dime-a-dozen player like Shore, so he had apparently worn out his welcome there.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It be interesting to see how Milano works out with the Ducks. He seems to have a similar profile to Sprong. Columbus was willing to trade him for a dime-a-dozen player like Shore, so he had apparently worn out his welcome there.

Yup. I'm glad to have so many people chime in about the players we receive from here and other publications b/c I'm too Ducks-centric to know about the rest of the league. It's amazing how some people see the bigger picture with more knowledge and it scared the hell outta me reading this as I'm thinking to myself, "Is Bob really playing chess here?!"

Situations that Sprong and Milano are in happens more often in the NHL. Hazy was mentioning that some players (with respect to Milano, a first round pick) will get a second chance, but not guaranteed to get that third chance in the NHL. A change of scenery or change of mentality can do wonders for a player. Ritchie falls into that situation of Sprong and Milano. I remember Peter Holland falling into that situation as well, and we traded him away (we got a 2nd and a 7th round pick, D Pettersson and F Kase).

Sometimes it is scenery. Teemu loves it here. Beauchemin became King Beauch here. Derek Grant only thrives here (but I do hope he gets a cup and then re-signs back with the Ducks). Also, I dunno what's in our water, but we're a goalie's paradise here.

As for Sprong, I still hope he does evolve a la Wild Bill. It took Wild Bill three franchises before turning the corner. As for our acquisitions, Murray is gambling for a better outcome b/c our franchise needs that injection.

Reactions: Deuce22

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Ducks didn't have to acquire Milano to make Sprong expendable. He was already out of favor. Sorry but nobody is a genius for writing that article.

If you're looking at it from a vacuum, then sure. If we didn't acquire Milano, then it's possible we would still keep Sprong. And since he's a RFA, we'd be able to retain his rights until we could either unload him or he improves. But acquiring Milano for Shore allowed us to trade Sprong for a defenseman. I don't think teams would swap a forward for Sprong.

Sprong is an asset still. It's apparent you don't care about that nuance so you'd be oblivious to this. And when fans say we lost the Sprong-Pettersson trade, then we forget that Djoos extended that trade assessment to incomplete than a loss. But if you see that Milano is an upgraded Sprong and we used Sprong to get a defenseman, that shuffling of assets makes sense. Too many fans believe GM Bob is just stupid and doesn't have logic to his madness. Except, there is logic, but too many people don't want to give him credit for it, like you're doing now by proxy of negating the article.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Yup. I'm glad to have so many people chime in about the players we receive from here and other publications b/c I'm too Ducks-centric to know about the rest of the league. It's amazing how some people see the bigger picture with more knowledge and it scared the hell outta me reading this as I'm thinking to myself, "Is Bob really playing chess here?!"

Situations that Sprong and Milano are in happens more often in the NHL. Hazy was mentioning that some players (with respect to Milano, a first round pick) will get a second chance, but not guaranteed to get that third chance in the NHL. A change of scenery or change of mentality can do wonders for a player. Ritchie falls into that situation of Sprong and Milano. I remember Peter Holland falling into that situation as well, and we traded him away (we got a 2nd and a 7th round pick, D Pettersson and F Kase).

Sometimes it is scenery. Teemu loves it here. Beauchemin became King Beauch here. Derek Grant only thrives here (but I do hope he gets a cup and then re-signs back with the Ducks). Also, I dunno what's in our water, but we're a goalie's paradise here.

As for Sprong, I still hope he does evolve a la Wild Bill. It took Wild Bill three franchises before turning the corner. As for our acquisitions, Murray is gambling for a better outcome b/c our franchise needs that injection.
A player "finding a fit" is important. I think organizations that are the most successful take players and try to accentuate what they do well. Instead trying to shoehorn them into the culture that exists. Holland had some talent, but his motor wasn't running all the time. As for goalies, Ducks have been blessed. Hopefully Dostal is the next link in the chain.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If you're looking at it from a vacuum, then sure. If we didn't acquire Milano, then it's possible we would still keep Sprong. And since he's a RFA, we'd be able to retain his rights until we could either unload him or he improves. But acquiring Milano for Shore allowed us to trade Sprong for a defenseman. I don't think teams would swap a forward for Sprong.

Sprong is an asset still. It's apparent you don't care about that nuance so you'd be oblivious to this. And when fans say we lost the Sprong-Pettersson trade, then we forget that Djoos extended that trade assessment to incomplete than a loss. But if you see that Milano is an upgraded Sprong and we used Sprong to get a defenseman, that shuffling of assets makes sense. Too many fans believe GM Bob is just stupid and doesn't have logic to his madness. Except, there is logic, but too many people don't want to give him credit for it, like you're doing now by proxy of negating the article.

1- Did you write that article?
2- Just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me oblivious to anything. Sprong was out of favor and had no future here. He wasn't the key to any future deal.
3- Yes, we lost the Pettersson/Sprong trade. Just because we later traded Sprong for something else does not bestow genius level GMing on Bob. He didn't plan it this way. Not to mention Djoos has been here all of one game. I certainly hope he becomes useful for us. But we might want to wait a little longer before declaring winners and losers.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I think Sprong has the talent but he is an awkward person. Or maybe he's not great with teammates and communication so he didnt gain the coaching staff's trust? Murray probably should have vetted him as a person (i.e. personality and work ethic) before making the trade since he obviously has great skating and shooting abilities.

Anyhow, we obviously lost the trade so we are gambling again with Djoos. I guess its better than just seeing Sprong play in Europe and getting nothing in return. And to be honest, I wouldn't like paying Petterson $4 million a year for 5 years... I don't think hes that good of a player.

Last edited by a moderator:

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Sprong is either a 30 goal scorer or he's a net negative. If he was even just well-rounded offensively then things would be a little better, but he can shoot the puck and that's it. On the defensive side of the puck, he is a total unmitigated train wreck. Not someone I'm going to cry about losing.

Pettersson, on the other hand...

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This is pretty hilarious considering this team was recently great for a number of years in large part because they know that having great all around players was better than one dimensional goal scorers.

I imagine Sprong might hit 20 next year...for Hershey.

Agreed. And has a person who goes to a ton of Bears games, I hope so.

Capitals GM really does seem like a good guy, he traded Stephenson to a place he could get some real NHL playing time, and he just did the same for Djoos. You guys are gonna like him, he's a good guy.

djoos-loose-caps.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad