Confirmed with Link: [ANA/WSH] Christian Djoos for Daniel Sprong

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I liked Djoos during their run two years ago. Seems he fell victim to a numbers game but could be a good fit here. Maybe more interesting that it takes away a reliable scorer for SD but maybe the guy they got for Grant offsets that a bit. Either way, Sprong's days were clearly numbered here so nice to get something rather than walk away this summer.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Foe what it's worth, I watch the Caps relatively frequently, and I think we won this one.

Djoos was sort of a victim of circumstance - due to injuries and whatnot, he's been passed by others on the depth chart, but not because he can't play. He may be undersized, but he's a very smooth skater with great offensive upside. Think Montour on the left, or what Mahura and Guhle could be. Every time he came up to play, he never looked out of place.

I'm more confident in Djoos making it full-time than Sprong.

ReptilianQuack

Jan 17, 2019
Vancouver
He played 22 playoff games for them when they won the cup 2 years ago.
Seems to have been given the bums rush since then. Lets hope he just needs the opportunity again.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Really interesting that caps fans aren't all that happy with this trade. Excited to watch djoos play.
More indifferent. Djoos likely wanted a fresh start and has been passed by Siegenthaler & Fehervary but Sprong is a rather marked down asset as well. Of course, Djoos also has cleared waivers and counted slightly against the cap while in the AHL.

Djoos is very physically slight but does carry some NHL upside due to his hockey sense. His vision and passing are pretty strong. Probably no more than a 5 but for a rebuilding team it makes all kind of sense to give him a shot down the stretch.

Reactions: Arthuros

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
If we keep Del Zotto, I'd like to see

Lindholm-Gudbranson
Fowler-Del Zotto
Djoos-Manson
Irwin

if no MDZ,

Lindholm-Manson
Djoos-Gudbranson
Fowler-Larsson
Irwin

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
More indifferent. Djoos likely wanted a fresh start and has been passed by Siegenthaler & Fehervary but Sprong is a rather marked down asset as well. Of course, Djoos also has cleared waivers and counted slightly against the cap while in the AHL.

Djoos is very physically slight but does carry some NHL upside due to his hockey sense. His vision and passing are pretty strong. Probably no more than a 5 but for a rebuilding team it makes all kind of sense to give him a shot down the stretch.
To my understanding, he really doesn't have much left to prove down in the A. Would that be fair to assume?

Djoos will be given the chance to try and prove he can stick over Larsson. And if Larsson keeps playing like he does, I wouldn't be surprised if he could.

Sprong is...Sprong. The upside is undeniable, but I always took him to be a boom-or-bust prospect, and it's looking like it's a bust.

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011
To my understanding, he really doesn't have much left to prove down in the A. Would that be fair to assume?

Djoos will be given the chance to try and prove he can stick over Larsson. And if Larsson keeps playing like he does, I wouldn't be surprised if he could.

Sprong is...Sprong. The upside is undeniable, but I always took him to be a boom-or-bust prospect, and it's looking like it's a bust.

I just don't see how Sprong can be seen as a bust when he was only given 8 games to put it together on this shitty team. If we only took Terry's first 8 games this year then he must be a bust too. Sprong was a unique asset for us. Djoos is more of what we already had.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
another whatever trade. I still wish we knew more of why Sprong was never really given a chance here. I know his defensive woes were touted, but he could score goals and always shot the puck on net... which half of this team can't even do.
Does it matter if he was never going to crack this lineup because of a coach, or because he was defensively lacking? I'd argue not, unless people genuinely thought Sprong would have stuck around to either wait out Eakins or make it based on another 8 games (which seems to be all that Eakins is willing to give).

Sure, maybe we should have given Sprong a longer stint. But he was never going to get that with us as long as he was here. Might as well get a prospect who is actually ready to seize a spot.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I don't really disagree, I guess. Just don't understand, and it's bugged me from the day we got Sprong.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Djoos is half decent, this is a good trade.

It won’t ever justify the original trade though. Djoos is a poor mans Pettersson. Murray at least recouped something of value but overall this was poor asset management.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
Caps fan here dropping by to wish you guys good luck with Djoos.

He has terrific hockey IQ and puck skills, but is obviously limited in size and strength. Not a top pairing guy, but I think he can play a role on an NHL team (he obviously played a role on a Stanley Cup winning team).

Hope he works out for you!

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011
Lol people are acting like Sprong was going to solve this teams woes. If we should’ve kept Sprong, we should’ve kept Aberg when he was here!

Lol yup. This guy isn't going to single handedly solve this team's problems. Might as well trade him for a player that's older and fills the same role as 3 other guys we already have. Scoring goals is overrated anyway.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The thing that really annoys me about the Sprong acquisition is just WTF was Bob thinking? Sprong's deficiencies were well know when we acquired him. You don't go out and trade for a guy with those warts if you don't have a plan to help him get rid of the warts. You have to think you're smarter than the average bear (in how to fix him) in order to want him. Yeah, sure they gave him some feedback/guidance. But looking at his usage, it's hard to think they did much more than just criticize his faults and tell him to do better. And when that didn't happen last year they just threw up their hands this year and gave up on him right from the start.

I'm really beginning to wonder if we have a f***ing clue on how to develop young players.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The thing that really annoys me about the Sprong acquisition is just WTF was Bob thinking? Sprong's deficiencies were well know when we acquired him. You don't go out and trade for a guy with those warts if you don't have a plan to help him get rid of the warts. You have to think you're smarter than the average bear (in how to fix him) in order to want him. Yeah, sure they gave him some feedback/guidance. But looking at his usage, it's hard to think they did much more than just criticize his faults and tell him to do better. And when that didn't happen last year they just threw up their hands this year and gave up on him right from the start.

I'm really beginning to wonder if we have a f*cking clue on how to develop young players.

I do think the idea of moving Pettersson for a young forward with scoring potential made a lot of sense, but Sprong was either a poor choice or wasn't developed any better here than in Pittsburgh (most likely some of both).

Reactions: Exit Dose

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It's not all on the team though, the player needs to take a lot of the responsibility as well. Sprong obviously has a lot of talent, but he just can't seem to grasp what it takes to make it effective.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad