Confirmed with Link: ANA trades Carl Hagelin to PIT for David Perron and Adam Clendening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Yeah, but you can get 20 goal players for a couple million dollars per year as a FA. Why pay $4 million per year for a guy you could get for half that amount this off-season? We should in fact sign two with the saved cap space.

Here are the FA from this past summer: http://espn.go.com/nhl/freeagents

Feel free to go down the list of UFA wingers signed for 2 million a year or less and see how many are projected to hit 20 goals this year. Or I'll save you the time and just tell you: one. PA Parenteau. That's it. Stempniak is close, Fleischmann is close, but Parenteau is the only one signed for that cheap and projected to hit 20. Everyone's favorite Penguin Daniel Winnik signed for 2.25mil, he's projected to his 6 goals. Downie signed for 1.75 and was projected to hit 8 before he was waived.

Sorry, but in 2016, 2 million is not gonna land you a 20g scorer in free agency.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Feel free to go down the list of UFA wingers signed for 2 million a year or less and see how many are projected to hit 20 goals this year. Or I'll save you the time and just tell you: one. PA Parenteau. That's it. Stempniak is close, Fleischmann is close, but Parenteau is the only one signed for that cheap and projected to hit 20. Everyone's favorite Penguin Daniel Winnik signed for 2.25mil, he's projected to his 6 goals. Downie signed for 1.75 and was projected to hit 8 before he was waived.

Sorry, but in 2016, 2 million is not gonna land you a 20g scorer in free agency.

You have convinced me.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I like the fact that it feels like the team's identity is coming together as a speedy, skilled, for-checking team under sullivan.
Hagelin fits this identity that they are trying to embody to a Tee.
Also don't discount that Sullivan has coached him before and knows exactly what they are getting, JR said Sully had a lot of input on this trade. This will help maximize what we get out of Hagelin. So on paper I love this trade right now. Though I thought Perron was a steal for (at the time) a very late 1st round pick.:shakehead

Perron just didn't fit here for whatever reason. I don't wish him any ill. Really I could care less what happens with his career at this point.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
...and PAParenteau's defense isn't even good. He was hot in SO with habs though... (which is useless in PO)
So there was only one 20g FA available last summer and he's flawed? Mmm... (thanks for the data methodman)

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Let me add this: given his speed and defensive reputation, if Hagelin scored with any regularity, he'd get WAY MORE than $4MM

You can say he got overpaid for his strengths, but he does have strengths.

That's another way he's like Dupuis. If guys like them had hands, they'd be Zach Parise (and compensated accordingly).

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
So an upgrade from Kunitz?

Kunitz isn't a liability, he's just played way too damn much. Kunitz on the third line would be a pretty nice thing, glossing over the cap hit at least.

Guys like Parenteau and Ouellet are either offense-only players in the top six or in the press box. They can't play in the bottom six.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kunitz isn't a liability, he's just played way too damn much. Kunitz on the third line would be a pretty nice thing, glossing over the cap hit at least.

Guys like Parenteau and Ouellet are either offense-only players in the top six or in the press box. They can't play in the bottom six.

I know it's not really the point of the conversation, but I'd say Kunitz IS a liability on the Penguins. Maybe not on any other team who would use him properly, but he's a liability BECAUSE this organization -- for whatever reason -- insists on playing him as though he's an in-their-prime top line winger.

Which kind of goes hand in hand with any discussion about acquiring someone like Parenteau, and to go with your point about him being top six or bust. No point in acquiring "marginal" offensive upgrades as long as Kunitz is around, because they'd just end up being played in a situation they're not suited to (ie. bottom six) to accommodate Kunitz's iron-clad hold on the top line.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005

Yup, goal-scoring is super low in today's NHL. There were only 45 players who managed to get 25 or more and only 15 players with 30 goals or more last season. Probably will be even less this year.

15 goals is the new 20 goals.

I think Hagelin is overpaid but he isn't as overpaid as you would think. The fact he scores at even strength is a HUGE plus for this Penguin team.

On the other hand if his production slips even a little bit than the contract really becomes a problem.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I wasn't referring to your posts, I would have quoted your posts if I was talking about you. I was just referring to the people screaming "OH MY GOD, WE'RE PAYING A 3RD LINER $4.2 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!"

You said "not the arguments presented here" which would include all posts in this thread.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
all of you pissing about the deal, would you have rather lost Perron for nothing? I'm sure those who would have dreams of signing a top FA, which always happens for the Pens!

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
all of you pissing about the deal, would you have rather lost Perron for nothing? I'm sure those who would have dreams of signing a top FA, which always happens for the Pens!
Would love for those trashing the deal to tell me who they would sign in the offseason, and what hit/term will get it done. After all, if they're confident enough to say this is a bad deal, tell us what better deals will be available in the offseason. Then we can see on July 1 if their complaints had merit.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

After years upon years of getting our hopes dashed in free agency, it's a little disheartening to find so many that still think Pittsburgh is a destination free agents drool over.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
After years upon years of getting our hopes dashed in free agency, it's a little disheartening to find so many that still think Pittsburgh is a destination free agents drool over.

Even if it was a top destination, it's not like it's the only one out there. Even 3 other teams would give us only a 25% chance of signing somebody. It's always been, and always will be, a crap shoot.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
There's like 3 people "pissing" on the deal. A few others are concerned about Hagelins contract if he doesn't work out. No need to misrepresent what's going on here.

ejoshie

Aug 26, 2008
They said on the national telecast that Sullivan was behind the deal

Not Rutherford

If that matters to anyone

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Not Rutherford

That's not exactly right.

Sullivan vouched for Hagelin when Rutherford presented the potential option.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Not Rutherford

Sullivan looked like he was going to make Perron drink a lit Molotov after he didn't know the rules of offside last week, so it doesn't surprise me he'd be pushing for a swap like that.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

Yes, again Hagelin has numbers the past few years that align with a second line output, despite being a third line player that wont see power play time. its very duperish... I wasn't a fan of dupers contract and I'm not a fan of Hagelin being overpaid a bit, but costs for players have gone up and stats have gone down leaguewide, also any priority free agent is going to be overpaid by about 25% at least... often more... its just the way of pro sports. Its a myth that free agency is a surefire way to add... at best you get a reclamation project and hope for the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad