Confirmed with Link: ANA trades Carl Hagelin to PIT for David Perron and Adam Clendening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Here is a check list of things that have to happen for the Hagelin deal to be okay. (Not all of these things have to happen. Some alone are enough. Otherwise a combination of things)

- Hagelin becomes a bonafide top-6 player (in both play and production)
- Hagelin is traded with no salary retained
- Kunitz is traded with no salary retained
- Two or more ELC, or ELC-equivalent wingers are used in the top-9 next year (Bennett, Sprong, Simon, etc...)
- Those ELC/ELCE wingers produce properly for their role and play, ya know, 62+ games
- You move on from Lovejoy or move Cole (you can't have both next year)

I think he's fine as long as he's a top 9 player that produces 15 goals a year with exceptional corsi performance.

Which is exactly the player he has been his whole career aside from a blip on the radar this year. And even this year iirc his possession numbers have remained strong even though the production has been down a bit.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Just think they looked at it as a gamble that may pay off.
Perron sucked here.
Made him available.

Ducks say they'll give us Hagelin and JR sees that speed and thinks it could be a decent compliment to his top 6 players after what Dupuis did here when he was healthier/younger.

I don't believe JR is thinking Hagelin is his "LW anchor" that he talked about this past week. (He said this team doesn't have a LW anchor).

Hags isn't that. He's a possible good/great compliment to his top 2 centers.

And a good fit for MS's system. A lot of posters were ticked at missing out on paying Kulemin 4+ mil for 4 years because of fit. He's not a top 6 player, and came with a 185 pound growth that cost another 5m a year.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
This trade was made by pens as an upgrade to perron, who didn't score, can't skate, can't play D and can't pk. For this year, the pens win even if Hags doesn't score one goal. It got a non-producer off the top two lines. The ducks made the trade to clear up cap space for next year. Does any one think the ducks will sign perron for even at 2yrs at 2.5MM per year. If so, he better start scoring. Oh yes, he scored a goal last night but was on for two of the Kings goals.

Like I said before, trading Perron for an invoice for $15 million in used paint would have been a win for us on the ice. That we got a player I like who can actually play is just a cherry on top.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Hagelin is not a top six winger and NEVER will be.

Really? Because until this year with the Ducks, he's been a top six winger in terms of both individual production and possession according to his HERO charts: http://public.tableau.com/shared/B5636H6H7?:display_count=yes

The Ducks have been monumentally awful this year, throw that out and it's pretty obvious to see he's produced like a top six winger in the past and no reason to think he can't repeat that in a better situation.

Even better, check his head-to-head charts vs. Perron

2012: http://public.tableau.com/shared/MRW3MJNB5?:display_count=no

2013: http://public.tableau.com/shared/HY3YFFS83?:display_count=no

2014: http://public.tableau.com/shared/G2473HW35?:display_count=no

2015: http://public.tableau.com/shared/Q7B6FGRCY?:display_count=no

2016: http://public.tableau.com/shared/5CWRZJR63?:display_count=no

Whether he rebounds or not and plays like a top six winger for us, who knows, but acting like it's never going to happen is just foolish, considering he's done it before and maintained it across multiple seasons.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You obviously aren't reading my posts if you don't understand any of the concerns presented here about his contract.

I wasn't referring to your posts, I would have quoted your posts if I was talking about you. I was just referring to the people screaming "OH MY GOD, WE'RE PAYING A 3RD LINER $4.2 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!"

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think he's fine as long as he's a top 9 player that produces 15 goals a year with exceptional corsi performance.

Which is exactly the player he has been his whole career aside from a blip on the radar this year. And even this year iirc his possession numbers have remained strong even though the production has been down a bit.

Yeah, 15-20g and a 40-45p player is what I had in mind.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah, 15-20g and a 40-45p player is what I had in mind.

Yeah, but you can get 20 goal players for a couple million dollars per year as a FA. Why pay $4 million per year for a guy you could get for half that amount this off-season? We should in fact sign two with the saved cap space.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, but you can get 20 goal players for a couple million dollars per year as a FA. Why pay $4 million per year for a guy you could get for half that amount this off-season? We should in fact sign two with the saved cap space.

Can you though?

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
@ Jaded-Fan, Only 2 millions for a 20g FA? They go for higher than that unless they're flawed or there's no interest from other teams. That can double at the TDL madness though...

Anyway, Hagelin is more than just a 15-20g scorer.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Fehr only came that cheap because of the major injury concerns surrounding him. 20 goal scorers don't typically go for 2M.

I think that there were a couple hundred twenty goal scorers last year, right? They are a dime a dozen. Borderline AHL'ers. They are lucky if they get $2 million.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I think that there were a couple hundred twenty goal scorers last year, right? They are a dime a dozen. Borderline AHL'ers. They are lucky if they get $2 million.

Here are your 20 goal scorers from last year: http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...t=goals&aggregate=0&filter=goals,gte,20&pos=S

Go through those two pages and tell me how many of those guys are borderline AHL'ers.

Edit: Here's a list of guys who scored at least 15. http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...t=goals&aggregate=0&filter=goals,gte,15&pos=S

I think you are vastly underestimating how difficult it is to score in today's NHL. If a player can score 20 goals, there is no way in hell they are a borderline AHL'er.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Let me add this: given his speed and defensive reputation, if Hagelin scored with any regularity, he'd get WAY MORE than $4MM

You can say he got overpaid for his strengths, but he does have strengths.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada

Not unless there's some kind of risk involved with said player, like a history of health concerns, or the fact that he's getting up there in age. You don't typically find healthy 20 goal scorers in their mid-late 20's for that low of an annual cap hit...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Here are your 20 goal scorers from last year: http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...t=goals&aggregate=0&filter=goals,gte,20&pos=S

Go through those two pages and tell me how many of those guys are borderline AHL'ers.

;)

I could keep this going, but read back on my comments, well forever. Or even from an hour ago when I linked the same thing that you just did.

One of my consistent themes has been that people do not get what the lower scoring era means and actually think that you can get a 20 goal scorer for peanuts. The sad thing is how many say those things that I said and actually mean them.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
;)

I could keep this going, but read back on my comments, well forever. Or even from an hour ago when I linked the same thing that you just did.

One of my consistent themes has been that people do not get what the lower scoring era means and actually think that you can get a 20 goal scorer for peanuts. The sad thing is how many say those things that I said and actually mean them.

Ah. Sorry. :laugh:

Sadly, people have such extreme opinions in these parts it is hard to tell who is kidding.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Big difference between guys that can produce 15-20g at ES and guys that need significant PP time to do it. That's one of the things that killed Perron here. Kessel took his spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad