Confirmed with Link: [ANA/TB] Alexander Volkov for Antoine Morand and a conditional 2023 7th round pick

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
How many guys do you have to expose for the expansion draft? I heard from one of my inside guys that they were short on guys that were able to expose because we are so young. This may be a precursor to another trade where we lose a guy we need to expose.
Any combination of Grant, Deslauriers, Henrique, Milano, Heinen, and Silfverberg will easily fill the 2F exposure requirements. Volkov is 6 games away from being able to fulfill an exposure requirement

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Very surprised it is a forward considering san Diego is so short. Morand scored his first tonight too, wish him well.

That is a bit surprising but makes sense Tampa would want a forward to replace him somewhat, be it in Syracuse or whatever. And one with some kind of upside.

A bit disappointed to see Morand go but he was starting to get passed by and his NHL outlook isn't the best.

Reactions: Static

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
We also get older in this trade. Morand is a 99 and Volkov is a 97. Tampa took him as a double overager 13 picks before Morand.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
not too bummed out about losing morand

i'm sure he'll fare a lot better in TB than he would have here

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Mostly played center in the A according to JD Burke.

Interesting. Not saying he hasn’t played there but it doesn’t match anything I’ve found. I skimmed through a bunch of old Syracuse lineups, a lot of which he was on the wing and looked through all his scouting reports from when he was in Russia which all list him as a winger. And he’s taken 5 faceoffs in 30 nhl games.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Interesting. Not saying he hasn’t played there but it doesn’t match anything I’ve found. I skimmed through a bunch of old Syracuse lineups, a lot of which he was on the wing and looked through all his scouting reports from when he was in Russia which all list him as a winger. And he’s taken 5 faceoffs in 30 nhl games.
I should have clarified: I didn't mean he only played center in the AHL, just that all of his time playing center was there. Don't believe he ever played center for tampa.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
That is a bit surprising but makes sense Tampa would want a forward to replace him somewhat, be it in Syracuse or whatever. And one with some kind of upside.

Maybe Tampa needed an NHL roster spot. Instead of waiving Volkov and getting nothing for him, they get a waiver eligible player in Morand and a 7th round pick in 2023.

Acquiring Volkov just means there has got to be something else going on. Unless... the players on the COVID list might be out longer than expected?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I highly doubt they plan on using him at center. There's already juggling problems there, doubt they're adding to it. RW, though, is a spot where we're lacking and I imagine that's where he ends up.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Maybe Tampa needed an NHL roster spot. Instead of waiving Volkov and getting nothing for him, they get a waiver eligible player in Morand and a 7th round pick in 2023.

Acquiring Volkov just means there has got to be something else going on. Unless... the players on the COVID list might be out longer than expected?
Don't think so about the Covid players. They all tested negative today so there is optimism that the tests were false positives.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

That's exactly it. He fell to 14th on their forward depth chart(not counting Kucherov) and they don't have the cap room to keep him or even the leeway to do what Vegas was doing with Kolesar.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I highly doubt they plan on using him at center. There's already juggling problems there, doubt they're adding to it. RW, though, is a spot where we're lacking and I imagine that's where he ends up.
Yeah, but san Diego losing a forward seems to strengthen the argument that somebody is getting sent down, unless they plan on handing out more PTO's. Of all of our guys steel makes the most sense as that player, doesn't he?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
"We are excited to have Alexander join our organization. We believe a fresh start will help him further develop as we look to continue adding youthful talent," said Ducks Executive Vice President and General Manager Bob Murray.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Conditions on the pick

upload_2021-3-24_21-8-16.png

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yeah, but san Diego losing a forward seems to strengthen the argument that somebody is getting sent down, unless they plan on handing out more PTO's. Of all of our guys steel makes the most sense as that player, doesn't he?

I'd say one or both of the Gulls forwards on the taxi squad goes before he does, probably both. San Diego being low on forwards isn't a new problem and like I said, if they wanted Steel there he'd be there. Maybe something changed but I doubt it.

Either way doubtful they view Volkov as a center. They call him a RW in the press release and there's no shortage of centers here.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Only two forwards who have a contract for next year. Maybe things just changed but your inside guy might be full of shit.
Haha yeah I have no idea what he was talking about with that one. Didn't realize it was only 3 players. Maybe he was talking defense. This was at the beginning of the season before we realized he sucked so badly. Idk. This guy is very close with a few coaches and knows Bob but I guess some things get lost in translation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad