Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Ducks sign John Gibson (8 years, $6.4M AAV)

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
hope you don't regret it. a lot of bruin fans have complained for the past 3-4 years about rask mostly based on his contract and rasks numbers are miles better than Gibson
Which numbers actually are those supposed to be? The last time Rask put together better numbers than Gibson was the year Gibson started to settle into the league. Since then, over three seasons only one goalie with more than 10 games played has a better SV% than Gibson (that's Raantta). In the advanced goalie stats, he ranks second (among starters) behind Bobrovsky in adjusted save percentage and goals saved above average. If one's looking at the actual technical aspects of the position, it's also easily to see how these numbers came together - his positioning for primary shots compared with his reflexes make him a force in that area, and he has worked on his weaknesses with lateral movement and puck tracking incredibly well (the lateral movement coming together was a matter of time, IMO, but for the quickness of the adjustments major props to Ducks goaltending coach Sudsie Maharaj).

One would have to try to get a hell of a lot of mileage out of any small sample playoff narrative to even remotely make a case for this contract not being deserved.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
id probably go with more than 10 goalies ahead of him... and at his current price I might lower him below some other guys strictly based on the paycheck

hope you don't regret it. a lot of bruin fans have complained for the past 3-4 years about rask mostly based on his contract and rasks numbers are miles better than Gibson

sucks when a fan base turns on a decent guy just because hes overpaid. good luck on that
Meh Anaheim generally develops goalies well, we have 3 goalies in Ericksson-ek, Durny, and dostal that we can develop and use as back ups for him. I don't think hes going to ever be in a situation where the team has to heavily rely on him to play a ton of games. Keep him around that 60 mark and hopefully that can help him stay healthy longer.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
putting up those numbers with Kevin bieksa in front of you is legendary.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
For instance Philadelphia with there back up QB to Carson Wentz last year. No one expected that team to win it all with Wentz being out.

Try telling that to us Philadelphians. :)

Gibson is such an underrated goalie. His technique is incredibly sound and his athelticisim is sorely underrated by most. Great job by anaheim locking him up for his best years.

Reactions: Daz28

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Kevin bieska literally was passing the puck to the other team for grade A scoring chances a lot of the season... felt bad for Gibson.
And then shove the other team into gibson for no reason right after turning it over

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
This is a great deal. The only catch is his health. Feels like he gets hurt or shaken up every 4 games or so.

If he can be consistently healthy than this is the kind of contract that cup winners are built around. I would be surprised if he doesn't provide more over the life of this contract than Price will over his 10.5er (mostly due to Montreal sucking).

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Meh Anaheim generally develops goalies well, we have 3 goalies in Ericksson-ek, Durny, and dostal that we can develop and use as back ups for him. I don't think hes going to ever be in a situation where the team has to heavily rely on him to play a ton of games. Keep him around that 60 mark and hopefully that can help him stay healthy longer.

you do have a nice history with decent goaltending... and im a fan of Gibson. just feel this contract is a bit inflationary... so was rask… so were some other guys. its not end of world, but it hurts a bit

good luck but not too much. still cheering for my bruins

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
id probably go with more than 10 goalies ahead of him... and at his current price I might lower him below some other guys strictly based on the paycheck

sucks when a fan base turns on a decent guy just because hes overpaid. good luck on that

Oh well if you would take 10 plus goalies over him than that changes everything. Why don’t you try to back up this claim with some data or at least logic, because it seems evident you don’t have a clue.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
you do have a nice history with decent goaltending... and im a fan of Gibson. just feel this contract is a bit inflationary... so was rask… so were some other guys. its not end of world, but it hurts a bit

good luck but not too much. still cheering for my bruins

I would be a bit “inflationary” if he was approximately the 15th best goalie in the NHL like you seem to think, which is evidence you don’t know much of this subject matter (which is no slight, I am no expert on some eastern conference teams).

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Am I missing something with everyone's term issues?? If he gets hurt, he can go LTIR. The guy is a stud just entering his prime at what will be a laughable price compared to what some team will be paying the guy who has a good year 2 years from now. Injury is a concern for any player, but really isn't any part of the issue with his future cap number, which will I can assure you will be very low as an average. A stop gap now coast $4M. What will a stop gap cost 3 years from now. Prob about what JG is making.

Olympus Mons

Dec 6, 2012
Orange County, CA
Not a fan of the long term contracts but like others have said it had to be done. He's young and has the potential to be something special as long as he can keep the injury bug away . I'm okay with this deal.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Oh well if you would take 10 plus goalies over him than that changes everything. Why don’t you try to back up this claim with some data or at least logic, because it seems evident you don’t have a clue.

all arguments about Gibson aside... you really debate very poorly with a huge insecurity chip on your shoulder.

hope it doesn't cause you as much misery as I think it does... hockey fandom should be an enjoyable pursuit.

im going to bail out of this meaningless debate that long ago lost any fun for me by cheering my team

go bruins go

hope you find reason to do the same with yours

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
For instance Philadelphia with there back up QB to Carson Wentz last year. No one expected that team to win it all with Wentz being out.

teams have won superbowls/been successful with ****ty qb's too....

Lol c'mon man.

...you guys are insane. There's 6 Super Bowl-winning QBs in the last 20 years that aren't Hall of Famers (Foles, Flacco, Johnson, Dilfer, Wilson, Eli Manning). And Eli is a toss-up and Wilson's got time to make the case. The rest are all already in there or about to be. NFL offenses are so complex, and the reliance on passing is so heavy, that an elite player at that position is most often your only shot at a championship.

Meanwhile, Anti Niemi triumphed over Michael Leighton, Jean-Sebastian Giguere bested Ray Emery, and Cam Ward beat out Dwayne Roloson in the Finals in the last 15 years. If you counter with "Well yeah anyone can get hot at the right time!" then...yeah, Foles, for example. He's a pretty good QB in his own right, but only had the opportunity to win a ring because the starter was an MVP candidate who led the team to an 11-2 record.

This isn't a controversial concept at all. Goalie is, of course, second.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
all arguments about Gibson aside... you really debate very poorly with a huge insecurity chip on your shoulder.

hope it doesn't cause you as much misery as I think it does... hockey fandom should be an enjoyable pursuit.

im going to bail out of this meaningless debate that long ago lost any fun for me by cheering my team

go bruins go

Pot.... meet kettle....

You’re the one in a thread about a ducks player? Perhaps practice what your preach.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I don't get the critism about the term. If you want to have a goalie like him on 4 years you likely have to pay 8-9m per season or even more. Most of the top goalies worked out pretty well no the long deals.

Noone ever questions a 8y deal for a 25 year old first line player at that AAV. A elite goalie is much more important than a common first liner.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

All arguments about Gibson not aside, I see that your superior debating skills had you ignore the actual arguments about Gibson, like when I addressed your post referring to "numbers", while the actual numbers from the past three seasons suggest Gibson is more of a top-3 than a top-15 goalie. I would be interested in hearing how those numbers are supporting your argument.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

go bruins go

It's been explained times over in this thread why Gibson is a top 3-5 goalie based on statistics. So while you're entitled to your own opinion, just know that there really is no merit behind it. The numbers say he's elite, some random Bruins fan saying different couldn't be more irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00