Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Ducks sign John Gibson (8 years, $6.4M AAV)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
AAV is fine. Term is a bit much, but Gibson is young. Just gotta hope the health issues aren't persistent.

I give this deal a "meh, it's fine" out of 10.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
AAV is fine. Term is a bit much, but Gibson is young. Just gotta hope the health issues aren't persistent.

I give this deal a "meh, it's fine" out of 10.
Very few goalies play great for that stretch of time.

If a goalie goes south, it kills the team as he’s almost untradable since no other team would want him as you can’t hide a goalie down the lineup. He plays the whole game or backups.

Surprised the ducks did this. Goalie market isn’t very strong in terms of movement of starters. Pretty difficult to line up the end of a contract with another team in need of a goalie, that doesn’t have a big commitment to another guy or is willing to buy out who hey have. Personally, I don’t think I would do this deal for this term. He still had a year on his deal and would have been a rfa still. Would have played out this year before extending.

Just don’t feel the need to roll the dice and tie yourself to someone who hasn’t won or gotten you deep. It was Andersen who backstopped them to the Final 4 in 2015.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
How is that an awful deal? It's $300k more than Holtby got in 2015 when the cap was much lower. Gibson and Holtby were both 25 when they got those contracts, too. Holtby had a .921 save% in the NHL in 178 games before he signed his deal, Gibson has a .923 save% in 178 games right now.

Except Holtby only got 5 years.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
...you guys are insane. There's 6 Super Bowl-winning QBs in the last 20 years that aren't Hall of Famers (Foles, Flacco, Johnson, Dilfer, Wilson, Eli Manning). And Eli is a toss-up and Wilson's got time to make the case. The rest are all already in there or about to be. NFL offenses are so complex, and the reliance on passing is so heavy, that an elite player at that position is most often your only shot at a championship.

Meanwhile, Anti Niemi triumphed over Michael Leighton, Jean-Sebastian Giguere bested Ray Emery, and Cam Ward beat out Dwayne Roloson in the Finals in the last 15 years. If you counter with "Well yeah anyone can get hot at the right time!" then...yeah, Foles, for example. He's a pretty good QB in his own right, but only had the opportunity to win a ring because the starter was an MVP candidate who led the team to an 11-2 record.

This isn't a controversial concept at all. Goalie is, of course, second.

Lol theres also 13 QBs total who've won a Super Bowl the last 20 years, so pointing out that most of them weren't great kind of kills your point.

It's mostly a terrible argument because, as you've demonstrated, bad-to-mediocre QBs not only routinely make the Super Bowl, many even win, while you really thought one season where two bad goalies made the SCF was a legit argument.

I'm not even necessarily arguing what position is more important, but your argument for it stinks.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
Given his his injury streak, unless he buckles down and works had on his body I doubt it will be "good 8 years"
His “injury streak” has steadily improved year over year in conjunction with his overall performance & number of games played. He’s going to be fine.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Given his his injury streak, unless he buckles down and works had on his body I doubt it will be "good 8 years"
He’s had a lot of little injuries but to be honest he has yet to have anything that’s made him sit out for more than a handful of games. I’m not that worried about it yet

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Which numbers actually are those supposed to be? The last time Rask put together better numbers than Gibson was the year Gibson started to settle into the league. Since then, over three seasons only one goalie with more than 10 games played has a better SV% than Gibson (that's Raantta). In the advanced goalie stats, he ranks second (among starters) behind Bobrovsky in adjusted save percentage and goals saved above average. If one's looking at the actual technical aspects of the position, it's also easily to see how these numbers came together - his positioning for primary shots compared with his reflexes make him a force in that area, and he has worked on his weaknesses with lateral movement and puck tracking incredibly well (the lateral movement coming together was a matter of time, IMO, but for the quickness of the adjustments major props to Ducks goaltending coach Sudsie Maharaj).

One would have to try to get a hell of a lot of mileage out of any small sample playoff narrative to even remotely make a case for this contract not being deserved.

Are any of the people claiming that Gibson is not a top goalie going to respond to this post?

Okay, well I'll just keep replying to it so it stays on each new page, you know, to help you all out.

Reactions: Desert Duck

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Lol theres also 13 QBs total who've won a Super Bowl the last 20 years, so pointing out that most of them weren't great kind of kills your point.

It's mostly a terrible argument because, as you've demonstrated, bad-to-mediocre QBs not only routinely make the Super Bowl, many even win, while you really thought one season where two bad goalies made the SCF was a legit argument.

I'm not even necessarily arguing what position is more important, but your argument for it stinks.
Lol thats just not true. Bad QBs do noy routinely make the super bowl

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Lol thats just not true. Bad QBs do noy routinely make the super bowl

Like not every year, but much more often than should happen to a position apparently so important. Also doesn't include guys like Brady early on and 40 year old Peyton Manning who were not really good QBs when they won. It also doesn't help that some guys get their entire perception changed if they've won a championship, like Eli and Ben, which for some reason doesn't ever happen with a goaltender(and honestly probably shouldn't).

Theres certainly more there than "hey everyone remember 2010".

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
They traded the wrong guy

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
8 years for a goaltender is a risk, and it isn't incorrect to point out that Gibson has had injury issues...

That being said, he's one of the best in the game, and locking him up for 8 years at the age of 25 is minimizing that risk. Anaheim is doing it right, and they're got the goaltender they want for a long time.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I would be a cold, steely-eyed GM and never sign any goalie for 8 years.
Not even Marty Turco.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I wish Price was 4.1M AAV better than Gibson; the Habs would win the Cup every year.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
My favorite goaltender in the league. 8 years is always risky for a keeper but if any of them deserve it it's him. 25 years old and already Vezina caliber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad