Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Ducks sign John Gibson (8 years, $6.4M AAV)

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
So I am not sure where Gibson stacks up regarding underlying Goalie stats but I’m pretty sure it’s top 15 maybe even as high as top 10. Kid is 25 and you’re securing him during what will likely be the best years of his career. The AAV is decent and unless he gets hurt I can’t see the downside of a kid who has already shown he is the top dog in the net when the Ducks had both Andersen and Gibson.

This nonsense that you don’t sign goalies long term is a joke. Do you want to sign them to 10-12 million dollar contracts nope but at 6.4 with the cap likely going up close to 5 per season this moderate deal is gonna look like a steal in a few years.

Well done!

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
So I am not sure where Gibson stacks up regarding underlying Goalie stats but I’m pretty sure it’s top 15 maybe even as high as top 10. Kid is 25 and you’re securing him during what will likely be the best years of his career. The AAV is decent and unless he gets hurt I can’t see the downside of a kid who has already shown he is the top dog in the net when the Ducks had both Andersen and Gibson.

This nonsense that you don’t sign goalies long term is a joke. Do you want to sign them to 10-12 million dollar contracts nope but at 6.4 with the cap likely going up close to 5 per season this moderate deal is gonna look like a steal in a few years.

Well done!
Long term at 10 is something you shouldn’t do long term at around goalie average at the time is a yes

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Long term at 10 is something you shouldn’t do long term at around goalie average at the time is a yes

That is what I said not sure if you didn’t read my post right. This is a decent deal now that will only get better provided he continues to play the way he is now!

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Many of those names are flat out wrong at this point. Compare Gibson's numbers with the goalies you named and check how many actually outperform him. Based on this post, you'll be surprised.
People look at Anaheim roster and assume hes carried by a good defense + defensive game but don't actually read into the stats and realize (at least last season) Gibson hard carried that team to 2nd place in the pacific.

If he played in a big market/east coast hed be the 2nd coming of Price... but instead hes generally underrated

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
A lot of level-headed ANA fans are asking the question and no one is answering it.

"Why not just pay Gibson more for a shorter term?"

This contract looks like part proper compensation and part reward for being a duck. The last three years of the Deal will hurt. It will "cut like a knife".

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
We just signed our best player for that cap hit.....
Term MAY end up an issue if injured, but can say that with anyone...

As a Ducks fan, I’m thrilled we did this.....rare good news moment this year

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
A lot of level-headed ANA fans are asking the question and no one is answering it.

"Why not just pay Gibson more for a shorter term?"

This contract looks like part proper compensation and part reward for being a duck. The last three years of the Deal will hurt. It will "cut like a knife".

The last 3 years aren’t that bad. Besides Gibson can always be traded during the 8 year extension.

Besides we don’t know what happen at the negotiation table. Gibson could have easily said I will sign 5 year extension, but I want NMC and a 2 million extra AAV on the contract.

I would rather have Gibson with 8 years at 6.4 than 5 years with NMC and 8 million AAV. This is how negotiations work.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
The entire Andersen vs. Gibson thing is ridiculous not applicable here. Ducks couldn't keep them both and Freddy was more expensive at the time. Ducks kept the cheaper, younger option and got what they could for Andersen. Let it go Leaf guy, and enjoy your 10 consecutive Stanley Cups.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The last 3 years aren’t that bad. Besides Gibson can always be traded during the 8 year extension.

Besides we don’t know what happen at the negotiation table. Gibson could have easily said I will sign 5 year extension, but I want NMC and a 2 million extra AAV on the contract.

I would rather have Gibson with 8 years at 6.4 than 5 years with NMC and 8 million AAV. This is how negotiations work.

Canned Response Unloaded:

DO THEY ? ! ? !

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I heard quite a few remarks when Andersen was traded to TOR that ANA traded the wrong goalie. They also called the Andersen deal "Lou Lamoriello's best trade as a TOR GM". How do you repond to that the day after you handed an 8 year contract to a goalie. The wrong goalie?

:thumbd::skeptic::thumbu::naughty::sarcasm:;)
That's a fair question but as a Ducks fan my opinion when they were both here is that Anderson was more consistent and solid with less bad goals at the time but Gibson had much more upside and would make saves very few goalies in the league could. At the time they were right about equal in my opinion and both middle of the road goalies but both still young. I think most fans and Ducks management saw Gibson as the younger guy with significantly more upside and made the bet to go with him. Not a knock on Anderson at all though. Since the trade Gibson has gotten much better and was phenomenal last year for us. We left him out to dry with our whole team being injured the first half of the season and he stole a ton of games for us. Just ask the fans who our most important player last year was and almost everyone agrees it was Gibson.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I heard quite a few remarks when Andersen was traded to TOR that ANA traded the wrong goalie. They also called the Andersen deal "Lou Lamoriello's best trade as a TOR GM". How do you repond to that the day after you handed an 8 year contract to a goalie. The wrong goalie?

:thumbd::skeptic::thumbu::naughty::sarcasm:;)
That's a fair question but as a Ducks fan my opinion when they were both here is that Anderson was more consistent and solid with less bad goals at the time but Gibson had much more upside and would make saves very few goalies in the league could. At the time they were right about equal in my opinion and both middle of the road goalies but both still young. I think most fans and Ducks management saw Gibson as the younger guy with significantly more upside and made the bet to go with him. Not a knock on Anderson at all though. Since the trade Gibson has gotten much better and was phenomenal last year for us. We left him out to dry with our whole team being injured the first half of the season and he stole a ton of games for us. Just ask the fans who our most important player last year was and almost everyone agrees it was Gibson.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He will be the #6-10 top paid goalies in the league. That certainly seems fair and a real expectation of where he will be in the league. And he will have seasons where he will be top 5 in play.

Good deal for both.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
5-10 is horribly ambitious

in no particular order I will easily argue these 5 ahead of him

braden holtby [cup win speaks for itself after 3 crazy good regular seasons}
carey price {the goto guy for team Canada and a league mvp type guy when healthy}
sergei bobrovsky {3 of past 5 seasons worthy of vezina consideration}
Johnathon quick {cups on resume and carries a team with no offense}
tuuka rask {career .922 save percentage and 2.26 goals against... yes hes been that damn good}

then I got another 5 names I can toss out here and I don't think theres a stronger case for Gibson

pekka renne {older but still has the international resume and better playoff results}
cory Crawford {no mystery Chicago has slumped when hes been hurt}
cory Schneider {career .220 save percentage and gaa of 2.36}
matt murray {2 cups and Pittsburgh got rid of marc andre flerury to give this guy the keys}
Andrei Vasilevskiy {I guess we could try to argue Gibson starts to get consideration about here}

martin jones... marc Andre fleury… Devyn Dubnyk...

can king Henrik regain his form and get in the conversation?

I think we have to say Gibson is in that 10-15 group of goalies. its pretty good but it usually means you are facing a better goalie come playoff time.

is the contract fair? hes going to have a top 6 cap hit and everyone above him has a better resume. its not the worst contract ever but its slightly inflationary. I would have rather seen him at 6 mill

Amazingly you spent all that time writing a response, only to make my point. If you don’t think Gibson is a top 5-10 goalie right now you are not paying attention. You, sir, are not paying attention.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Amazingly you spent all that time writing a response, only to make my point. If you don’t think Gibson is a top 5-10 goalie right now you are not paying attention. You, sir, are not paying attention.

id probably go with more than 10 goalies ahead of him... and at his current price I might lower him below some other guys strictly based on the paycheck

hope you don't regret it. a lot of bruin fans have complained for the past 3-4 years about rask mostly based on his contract and rasks numbers are miles better than Gibson

sucks when a fan base turns on a decent guy just because hes overpaid. good luck on that

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
id probably go with more than 10 goalies ahead of him... and at his current price I might lower him below some other guys strictly based on the paycheck

hope you don't regret it. a lot of bruin fans have complained for the past 3-4 years about rask mostly based on his contract and rasks numbers are miles better than Gibson

sucks when a fan base turns on a decent guy just because hes overpaid. good luck on that
Thanks, no one cares.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
The entire Andersen vs. Gibson thing is ridiculous not applicable here. Ducks couldn't keep them both and Freddy was more expensive at the time. Ducks kept the cheaper, younger option and got what they could for Andersen. Let it go Leaf guy, and enjoy your 10 consecutive Stanley Cups.

At the time both were competing for starting jobs. Both ended up with starting jobs. And you’re right you can’t keep both. We ended up with a first round pick and Leafs got an extremely talented goaltender. I just find it dumbfounded on some these responses on this thread.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Which numbers actually are those supposed to be? The last time Rask put together better numbers than Gibson was the year Gibson started to settle into the league. Since then, only one goalie with more than 10 games played has a better SV% than Gibson (that's Raantta). In the advanced goalie stats, he ranks second (among starters) behind Bobrovsky in adjusted save percentage and goals saved above average. Anyone willing and able to look at the underlying skills can also see Gibson being an exceptional goalie, easily within the top-10 by now, since his lateral movement and tracking made massive strides. He was already elite when it comes to stopping primary shots.

One would have to try to get a hell of a lot of mileage out of any small sample playoff narrative to even remotely make a case for this contract not being deserved.

Last edited:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Which numbers actually are those supposed to be? The last time Rask put together better numbers than Gibson was the year Gibson started to settle into the league. Since then, only one goalie with more than 10 games played has a better SV% than Gibson (that's Raantta). In the advanced goalie stats, he ranks second (among starters) behind Bobrovsky in adjusted save percentage and goals saved above average.

One would have to try to get a hell of a lot of mileage out of any small sample playoff narrative to even remotely make a case for this contract not being deserved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad