Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Ducks sign John Gibson (8 years, $6.4M AAV)

Tokioduck

May 31, 2007
This is the longest commitment the Ducks have made to a goatender, no?

The team felt comfortable him in the net during the playoffs is a big reason for such a commitment.

Ducks have had some good regular season goalies that couldn't step up for the team during its playoffs since Giguerre. I do believe Ducks could have won cup or two during that time with steady goaltending performance in playoffs. While the team hasn't had a success in playoffs with Gibson in net, he gave the team a chance in most games. The Ducks knows it's not easy to find a goaltender that can be relied all the way.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Let me get this straight.

Gibson + Rakell + Steele + Comtois are worth less than Andersen alone ?

You truly are a fan in its original sense !

Anaheim has done really well here.

The genesis of Gibson and the Ducks was the trade down where the Leafs drafted Biggs. Not only did they get a better player in Rakell at 30. but they got Gibson as a bonus at 39.

This allowed them to unload Andersen. Whom I would rate behind Gibson, and they get Steel from that deal too.

From that one trade down, the Ducks have Gibson, Rakell, and Steel for Andersen. They made out like bandits.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Anaheim has done really well here.

The genesis of Gibson and the Ducks was the trade down where the Leafs drafted Biggs. Not only did they get a better player in Rakell at 30. but they got Gibson as a bonus at 39.

This allowed them to unload Andersen. Whom I would rate behind Gibson, and they get Steel from that deal too.

From that one trade down, the Ducks have Gibson, Rakell, and Steel for Andersen. They made out like bandits.
Pretty much this, from a Toronto perspective... they were really high on biggs, and there was no telling who Anaheim would get with the 30/39... even when we drafted Rakell he really wasn't someone a lot of people thought would become much more then a 3rd liner... Gibson was a goalie(a good goalie) but none the less a goalie and you never know what will happen with them. Hindsight makes that move way worse then it actually was. Even if Toronto kept those picks im not sure they grab Rakell or Gibson either way. Obviously Anaheim wins that trade.

The Andersen trade was obviously a case where Anaheim couldn't afford to pay both guys(but both showed the ability to be #1 goaltenders)I assume they didn't want to trade him to a Western conference team and Toronto was in need of a true #1 goalie.… so they just grabbed 2 picks and so far both picks are looking like solid players... Steel looks like hell be at least a 2c, and comtois is showing a lot of potential... that being said Toronto makes that trade 10/10 because Andersen is a very good goalie, I think its a case where both sides are happy with what they got.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
The $$$ isn't the issue for me it's the term and that is only because of his injury history. With that being said, hard to predict injuries in sports and you gotta pay the man what he's worth or risk losing him. Gibson is easily a top 5 goalie for the remainder of this contract if healthy.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The Andersen trade was obviously a case where Anaheim couldn't afford to pay both guys(but both showed the ability to be #1 goaltenders)I assume they didn't want to trade him to a Western conference team and Toronto was in need of a true #1 goalie.… so they just grabbed 2 picks and so far both picks are looking like solid players... Steel looks like hell be at least a 2c, and comtois is showing a lot of potential... that being said Toronto makes that trade 10/10 because Andersen is a very good goalie, I think its a case where both sides are happy with what they got.

But that's boring, more AINEC please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad