Confirmed with Link: [ANA/BOS] Danton Heinen for Nick Ritchie

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Well he’s taken steps each of the last two seasons. They’re small steps but he’s definitely improving.

It can take a long time for the bigger forwards that have tools but are flawed players to come into their own. Not directly comparing the two but Tom Wilson was a year older than Ritchie is now when he broke out and turner into a 20 goal scorer. Both guys had similar numbers in juniors and Ritchie actually outperformed him offensively in their early NHL seasons.

Tom Wilson can also skate and is way better conditioned.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Tom Wilson can also skate and is way better conditioned.

Like I said it’s not a direct comparison. Ritchie can’t skate like Wilson sure but he’s ahead in other areas. Wilson doesn’t see the game nearly as well with the puck on his stick down low like Ritchie does. Ritchie also has a better wrist shot when he actually uses it.

He may or may not break out like Wilson did but at the same point in their careers Ritchie has always been ahead offensively.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
No he’s not. Nobody said he was. But he’s ahead of where Wilson was at the same age.

Well that's not true. Wilson's a year and a half older than Ritchie and his breakout was two years ago. These things aren't set in stone age wise or anything but Ritchie had better hurry if he's going to take those same steps Wilson did.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Interesting how Heinen and Terry are both from U of Denver. Heinen looks plays exactly like Terry but a bit stronger. Still didn't look all that impressive in the 1st game, and I think he might be like Terry where you watch him and you think he can produce more than actually does.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Well that's not true. Wilson's a year and a half older than Ritchie and his breakout was two years ago. These things aren't set in stone age wise or anything but Ritchie had better hurry if he's going to take those same steps Wilson did.

FWIW Wilson is 21 months older than Ritchie so it’s as good as 2 years.

And is true:
The season they turned 20:
Ritchie 4 pts 33 games (10 pt pace)
Wilson 10 pts 82 games

The year they turned 21:
Ritchie 28 points in 77 games (30 pt pace)
Wilson 17 points in 67 games (21 pt pace)

The year they turned 22:
Ritchie 27 points in 76 games (29 pt pace)
Wilson 23 points in 82 games

the year they turned 23:
Ritchie 31 points in 60 games (42 pt pace)
Wilson 19 points in 82 games

Ritchie’s current year:
Ritchie 19 points in 42 games (37 pt pace)
Wilson 35 pts in 77 games ( 37 pt pace)

So every year Ritchie has been ahead or equal to Wilson offensively, some years way ahead.

It’s not an exact science and I don’t think Ritchie will take quite the leap Wilson did but it’s one comparable of a guy with a similar pedigree who took a few years to figure it out.

And even if Ritchie does stagnate and stays the same player he’s still a very useful NHLer.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
FWIW Wilson is 21 months older than Ritchie so it’s as good as 2 years.

And is true:
The season they turned 20:
Ritchie 4 pts 33 games (10 pt pace)
Wilson 10 pts 82 games

The year they turned 21:
Ritchie 28 points in 77 games (30 pt pace)
Wilson 17 points in 67 games (21 pt pace)

The year they turned 22:
Ritchie 27 points in 76 games (29 pt pace)
Wilson 23 points in 82 games

the year they turned 23:
Ritchie 31 points in 60 games (42 pt pace)
Wilson 19 points in 82 games

Ritchie’s current year:
Ritchie 19 points in 42 games (37 pt pace)
Wilson 35 pts in 77 games ( 37 pt pace)

So every year Ritchie has been ahead or equal to Wilson offensively, some years way ahead.

It’s not an exact science and I don’t think Ritchie will take quite the leap Wilson did but it’s one comparable of a guy with a similar pedigree who took a few years to figure it out.

And even if Ritchie does stagnate and stays the same player he’s still a very useful NHLer.

Its 20 months, which is closer to a year and a half than it is 2 years. And in these seasons where they turn a certain age, Nick turns it a quarter or a third of the way into the season and Wilson turns it at the end. This is Ritchie's 24 year old season but no one would refer to this as Wilson's 26 year seasons season. Wilson took his first big steps as a 23 year old and truly broke out in the playoffs that year after his 24th birthday. Ritchie has already taken a bit of a step since his first full season but it's all roughly in a similar range.

I don't hate Nick at all, and you're right that he's a useful player, but if he's gonna take the leap Wilson did he probably should start showing signs of it soon. Starting out his career better than he did doesn't mean much if he's not showing the development Wilson did.

ReptilianQuack

Jan 17, 2019
Vancouver
We lost the way the trade is now. Ritchie could get a lot better. Boston fans say Heinen will to, but I dont believe it. I just dont know if Ritchie needed new scenery just yet....

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We lost the way the trade is now. Ritchie could get a lot better. Boston fans say Heinen will to, but I dont believe it. I just dont know if Ritchie needed new scenery just yet....

Was kinda indifferent to the trade, this was his 2nd game with Boston, right? If Heinen can show something more in his 2nd game then will be optimistic at least. He did pick up an assist on a nice pass for the Henrique goal his first game. If he can bring some defense as well and some skill should be good. With Comtois getting close to NHL ready it likely pushed Ritchie out who Murray gave up on. I hope nothing but the best for Ritchie.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Was kinda indifferent to the trade, this was his 2nd game with Boston, right? If Heinen can show something more in his 2nd game then will be optimistic at least. He did pick up an assist on a nice pass for the Henrique goal his first game. If he can bring some defense as well and some skill should be good. With Comtois getting close to NHL ready it likely pushed Ritchie out who Murray gave up on. I hope nothing but the best for Ritchie.

It's probably best not to live and die with every good and bad game the two have lol. Heinen looked good I thought, Nick looked good, sounds good to me if everyone's happy.

Reactions: Leonardo87

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
That was a trade that should not have happened. You need that exact type player in the playoffs (which i think we will see over the next few years). Ritchie was 24 and was at worst going to be the player he is now for the next 5 years, but there was a very good chance he was going to be a late developer like Wilson, Lucic, etc. I think he has 30 goal 60 pt possibility as early as next year and we will be kicking ourselves.

Now unfortunately we will have to trade for someone just like him, or sign one as a FA when we need that type player.

Reactions: McDonald19

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Ducks needed to clean up their sloppiness and add speed. We've had Ritchie all season long and we're at the bottom of the league. I'm happy Ritchie is doing well there and might be a better fit. With the Ducks, Heinen did help the Ducks earn two points already. While many fans are enamored with point production, many fans do forget what occurs in the games. Heinen and the new infusion to the Ducks showed a different Ducks team. Anaheim was faster.

Heinen played 18:00 minutes on the ice and earned a primary assist. The TOI was 2nd most among Duck forwards. He had a plus/minus rating of 0.

Ritchie, on the other hand, has played in two games:
game 1, vs Calgary: 0 pts, plus/minus = -2, 14:17 TOI
game 2, vs Stars: 1g + 1a = 2 pts, plus/minus = +1, 12:59 TOI

It's a good trade for both teams. Ritchie gives them that potential explosion without relying on Ritchie to carry the team. Heinen already is helping the Ducks on the ice with the 2nd most TOI among the forwards to help beat the Oil. Like most Boston fans have shared, you won't notice Heinen much in the game. Yet, those Boston fans of Heinen will also include that not noticing him much is actually a good thing as his defense is at work and has some offense in him, which is how he sprung Rico to a goal in front of the net. (Article on Heinin: link )

It's a good trade for both teams. We get a 200 foot player who can be relied upon to be on the ice often.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

You don't believe it in case of Heinen but Ritchie will for sure?

Then we should ask why all these guys get better after leaving? If we notice I imagine people in the sport do too

We also got players that turn out to be good at ANA while struggling elsewhere. Grant for instance.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Loving Nick Ritchie

2 points tonight, huge blocked shot, 5 hits and the first star of the game. I think you guys gave up too early on the young former 10th overall pick. Mind you, Danton Heinen is a good player too but nothing near what our team needed or wanted. Thanks for the trade guys!

Did we gave up too early? Yes I think we did too. But Ritchie may be a good piece for your lineup but he had his difficulties here. If Nick wanted to be good he was, unfortunately most of the time he was not in this mode. Good for Ritchie that he can play with Pasternak. Kase will be good for you as well if he can stay healthy. And since I'm a fan of trades where both teams benefit, I really wish them to fit in at BOS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad