Confirmed with Link: [ANA/BOS] Danton Heinen for Nick Ritchie

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Then we should ask why all these guys get better after leaving? If we notice I imagine people in the sport do too

No everyone gets better. Also, maybe we should wait and see with these recent departures and not make any conclusions based on one or two games. I wouldn't be surprised if Ritchie's production went up because Boston is a way better team than Ducks and if Ritchie has a chance to play with league leading scorer Pasternk, it probably helps his point production. Ducks don't have a similar player at the moment.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Murray also could have had his problems with (what seems to be) bad conditioning from Ritchie and therefore work ethic. How much they wanted and tried to improve it, who knows.

Good start from Ritchie, 7 hits in one game and 1+1 in the other one. He might shine there, we`ll see.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Ritchie was never going to work out here. Good for him I hope he develops there
Ritchie was working out here just fine. Our forward core looks to be seriously undersized in the future and will need some protection. And no, having a Deslauriers or a Jones on the fourth line won't be enough. From what I've learned of Heinen so far, he seems to be all shades of meh. Basically a somewhat improved version of Devin Shore (who people were so happy to get rid of). I didn't like the trade when it happened and I don't like it any better now. I hope Heinen proves me wrong.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Ritchie was working out here just fine. Our forward core looks to be seriously undersized in the future and will need some protection. And no, having a Deslauriers or a Jones on the fourth line won't be enough. From what I've learned of Heinen so far, he seems to be all shades of meh. Basically a somewhat improved version of Devin Shore (who people were so happy to get rid of). I didn't like the trade when it happened and I don't like it any better now. I hope Heinen proves me wrong.
As of now, I still don`t like this trade. But I hope for Heinen to pan out like a Silfv-lite version and we need a much larger timeframe to value this trade.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You got all that after 1 game on a new club?
Impressive

Ritchie was meh for 7 out of 8 games then hed punch someone or score a goal and you all would forget. Ritchie didnt work out here and likely was on the move the second he didnt cater to BM in negotiations.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
You got all that after 1 game on a new club?
Impressive

Ritchie was meh for 7 out of 8 games then hed punch someone or score a goal and you all would forget. Ritchie didnt work out here and likely was on the move the second he didnt cater to BM in negotiations.
Obviously not, no need to be so snarky. Actually, I only had time to watch part of the game so I have no idea how he looked with us. I've just looked more into Heinen's past. I hope he works out for us, but I'm not expecting a whole lot. Agree to disagree on Ritchie working out. You are probably right in saying that the negotiations played a role. Murray seems to get rid of guys he doesn't like regardless of whether it's good for the club.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
As of now, I still don`t like this trade. But I hope for Heinen to pan out like a Silfv-lite version and we need a much larger timeframe to value this trade.
Yes, we need much more time to see who actually won the trade. I'm just saying I don't like this trade at all. Trust me, I hope I'll be proved wrong.

Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Obviously not, no need to be so snarky. Actually, I only had time to watch part of the game so I have no idea how he looked with us. I've just looked more into Heinen's past. I hope he works out for us, but I'm not expecting a whole lot. Agree to disagree on Ritchie working out. You are probably right in saying that the negotiations played a role. Murray seems to get rid of guys he doesn't like regardless of whether it's good for the club.
Thats 1 of the things i hate about BM... he burns bridges with player over a few 100k.... i figured ritchie was gone at some point this year.

As for heinen, i think hell do fine here, just gunna take a little time to find chemistey... i wouldnt mind lookin at a heinen lundy/steel silf

Shut down line with solid offensive upside.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Thats 1 of the things i hate about BM... he burns bridges with player over a few 100k.... i figured ritchie was gone at some point this year.

As for heinen, i think hell do fine here, just gunna take a little time to find chemistey... i wouldnt mind lookin at a heinen lundy/steel silf

Heinen with Silf could be the beginning of a new shutdown line, someone just needs to take up Kesler's role. What I liked about Ritchie was that he could create space for smaller guys like Terry/Kase with his physicality. Heinen won't do that so pairing him with Silfverberg makes a lot of sense. For the record, I wouldn't have minded trading Ritchie as much if the young guys like Terry, Steel, Zegras were a bit bigger.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Ritchie had a very good game last night for the Bruins. He scored a goal and set up the eventual GWG on a beautiful give and go with Pastrnak. He was physical and threw at least two thunderous hits. His goal was lucky as it deflected but you take them how you can.

Defensively, he's pretty lost. He basically skates around the zone like a lost puppy. I notice down low behind the red line at times along with being where the center should be. He leaves the points wide open.

He does appear to be very good on the breakout. Even under pressure he makes very good out passes to start the break. He's displayed, overall, good passing ability.

He was faster this game than before. I assume the cross-country flight had something to do with it.

I was a huge Heinen guy and defended him until no end for 90% of his time in Boston. This year, I lost the urge. He just became so meh. I hope he finds his game in ANA again. He is a good player and has upside to be a top 6 forward. Defensively, he is a stud. Offensively he just leaves so much to be desired. He needs to shoot more.

Hope the trade works out for both teams.

Not this trade related, but Kase played his first game last night. Definitely rusty but got better as the game went on. Just nice to see him back on the ice.

Ritchie had a very good game last night for the Bruins. He scored a goal and set up the eventual GWG on a beautiful give and go with Pastrnak.

Defensively, he's pretty lost. He basically skates around the zone like a lost puppy. I notice down low behind the red line at times along with being where the center should be. He leaves the points wide open.

Good game from Ritchie - definitely looked more in sync out there and produced. Good on him.

B's looked sloppy and lost in their own end last night. They were missing some transition in their game that Heinen normally brings. That's what I see in his game as really good. When he is "on" he has the ability to go from the back-check and to turn it around, on a dime.

As others have said, he's a cerebral player who's learned from some of the best playmakers in the game. Thinking 2 steps ahead of the game is one of his best attributes, but can also end up being to his detriment.

On the offensive side he needs to commit more to what's right in front of him, by shooting instead of passing - or drilling the puck carrier instead of trying to tap the puck around him to make a play.

Heinen is a bit of a double edged sword in that way. He's always thinking, sometimes too much.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ritchie had a very good game last night for the Bruins. He scored a goal and set up the eventual GWG on a beautiful give and go with Pastrnak. He was physical and threw at least two thunderous hits. His goal was lucky as it deflected but you take them how you can.

He does appear to be very good on the breakout. Even under pressure he makes very good out passes to start the break. He's displayed, overall, good passing ability.

He was faster this game than before. I assume the cross-country flight had something to do with it.

I was a huge Heinen guy and defended him until no end for 90% of his time in Boston. This year, I lost the urge. He just became so meh. I hope he finds his game in ANA again. He is a good player and has upside to be a top 6 forward. Defensively, he is a stud. Offensively he just leaves so much to be desired. He needs to shoot more.

Hope the trade works out for both teams.

Not this trade related, but Kase played his first game last night. Definitely rusty but got better as the game went on. Just nice to see him back on the ice.
Kase should eventually look really good for you...aslong as he stays healthy hes a great player and a lot of fun to watch.

Ritchie isnt great defensively... passing is part of his game that maybe gets underated/overlooked... good shot and decent speed/skating for his size. I think being in boston will actually help him a lot. In anahiem he was a 10th overall pick that we needed to be above average offensively... lot of pressure for him to be the eventual guy.

In boston hes basically their 7-9th option... if he plays physical and skates hard boston will be stoked... scoring is just a nice bonus... i really think having a good team around him will help his confidence/game. I could see him being a 20/30/50 physical prescence in boston.

Im glad they went to boston as i dont mind the bruins, and enjoy watching them. Anaheim had to make some changes, hopefully andersson can become a solid nhler, and we can hit it out of the park with your pick. I like heinen, always noticed him when i watches bruins, hoping he just got lost in the mix a bit and can be a strong player in anaheim

Kase should eventually look really good for you...aslong as he stays healthy hes a great player and a lot of fun to watch.

Im glad they went to boston as i dont mind the bruins, and enjoy watching them. Anaheim had to make some changes, hopefully andersson can become a solid nhler, and we can hit it out of the park with your pick. I like heinen, always noticed him when i watches bruins, hoping he just got lost in the mix a bit and can be a strong player in anaheim

If Heinen gets some chemistry with Henrique - I think you will see good things. Paired with Charlie Coyle & Marcus Johansson in last years playoff run they were one of the best lines out there. Hopefully he can find his match in Aneheim.

Kase looked quick last night, but was pulling up a lot to avoid contact. Biggest hit he took all night - was from Ritchie... I hope he can stay healthy.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I agree with this and Heusy above. The one thing I fully expect to see - in Boston Ritchie's penalties will go down. The ducks - and Ritchie in particular - seem to be targeted by the refs. I know all fans think this, but the penalty statistics (both number and power play differential) for the past decade bear this out. And Ritchie, through his combination of size and lack of hockey smarts, seems to get more than his fair share of marginal calls.

My impression is that Boston gets the opposite treatment - refs tend to let them play. Chara for sure gets a lot of "leeway" and his presence seems to help the whole team. And of course, better teams seem to get the benefit of the doubt.
Bruins fan coming in peace.
I have to correct you on an completely wrong assumption. The Bruins ARE targeted regularly by the officiating and lose 99% of "coaching challenges." Even though the Bruins have gone somewhat soft in the physicality department, refs act as though these are the 1972 Boston Bruins. There was a game against Washington recently where there were headshots and some nasty hits doled out by the Caps and the B's were dropping like flies. The refereeing was as usual atrocious and didn't reflect any neutrality or honesty. If you want to see how badly the refs treat the Bruins, look at video's of last year's Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Bruins have been all too often the nail and seldom the hammer.
At least if Ritchie comes in and doles out some justice and gets penalized it'll be for a good reason, protecting a team mate. The thing with Heinen here is that we had too many similar players players. Good, positionally sound, 200 foot players who are somewhat timid of taking penalties. IMO, once he sorts things out for himself he's going to find his game and evolve and hopefully be a really good Duck for a long time.

Last edited:

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Ritchie will fit in well for the Bruins. I see him filling the role that Penner did in 2012 for the a Kings. I don’t ever see him filling the role of a Tomas Holmstrom.

The truth is, Ritchie wasn’t happy with his contract and Murray wasn’t happy with his maturity and work ethic for a high 1st round pick. It was never going to work in Anaheim unless he was that 20/30/50 guy; which I don’t think will ever happen.

I hope he does well in Boston. His first goal was pretty lucky as he just bounced it towards the net. That was a great pass he made to Pastrnak. But does anyone really believe any Duck forward would have been in the same position as Pastrnak on that play?

John

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
No everyone gets better. Also, maybe we should wait and see with these recent departures and not make any conclusions based on one or two games. I wouldn't be surprised if Ritchie's production went up because Boston is a way better team than Ducks and if Ritchie has a chance to play with league leading scorer Pasternk, it probably helps his point production. Ducks don't have a similar player at the moment.

He won’t be playing with Pastrnak, Boston’s first line is not changing unless someone gets injured.

The assist he got on Pastas goal was when half a line change had been completed. It was a sick give and go and Ritchies pass was right on the money.

Reactions: McDonald19

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

We're a bottom 5 team in the league at the time of the trade.

Ritchie was thought to be part of the main core.

We're a bottom 5 team in the league at the time of the trade.

I don't know about you, but I want a better team than worry about size. What we had wasn't working, obviously. I'm saddened to see Ritchie traded, but I also don't want to continue with the downward spiral.

Ritchie's 2 games average: ATOI = 13:38, 1.0 ppg, plus/minus = - 1, OZ start % = 70.6 %
Danton's 1 game: ATOI = 18:00, 1.0 ppg, plus/minus = 0, OZ start % = 54.5 %

As you can see, Boston is coddling Ritchie. We've thrown Danton with the 2nd most TOI in his first game and he helped us win. I'm more for a complete player and if that player is also physical, then that's cherry on top. And with so many youths trying to propagate up in the NHL club, having that reliable defensive forward can steady the growing pains of the youth. I hope Danton does work out for us and possibly improve his offense. I identified that we're losing a lot of games due to sloppiness. With Danton, maybe he can help mitigate some of that sloppiness that can turn into wins. We already know what Ritchie brought to our team and how we're a bottom-5 team in the league.

6'2 Comtois is finally catching fire in the AHL. He was told to stop being too aggressive in the juniors because his nastiness already got him suspended for 3 games. We have C Groulx, who's a 6'2 center with some offense. And have you seen the latest hit 6'2 D Thrun dished out recently?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result. By trading Ritchie and others, we've already changed the end result... we just don't know what the result is right now.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
I think Bob already mentioned that you can evaluate the Ducks TDL day as a sum of its parts, not the individual trades on their own.

The way I see it:

Ritchie --> Milano (better fit / more skill / same age)
Shore --> Heinen (better fit / more skill / younger)
Sprong --> "expendable" / Djoos (needed to reload on young D) / Have Terry/Sherwood on RW
Grant --> "expendable" Not sure if in long term plans
Kase --> Andersson/1st (reload prospects)

All of these moves were "low risk - medium reward," with the exception of the Kase deal which is "medium - medium."

With that said, Ritchie was NEVER the ideal fit here long term because the Getz/Perry cycle days are dead. We needed to play uptempo and tight forechecking and Ritchie is the anti player for that.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Bruins fan coming in peace.
I have to correct you on an completely wrong assumption. The Bruins ARE targeted regularly by the officiating and lose 99% of "coaching challenges." Even though the Bruins have gone somewhat soft in the physicality department, refs act as though these are the 1972 Boston Bruins. There was a game against Washington recently where there were headshots and some nasty hits doled out by the Caps and the B's were dropping like flies. The refereeing was as usual atrocious and didn't reflect any neutrality or honesty. If you want to see how badly the refs treat the Bruins, look at video's of last year's Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Bruins have been all too often the nail and seldom the hammer.
At least if Ritchie comes in and doles out some justice and gets penalized it'll be for a good reason, protecting a team mate. The thing with Heinen here is that we had too many similar players players. Good, positionally sound, 200 foot players who are somewhat timid of taking penalties. IMO, once he sorts things out for himself he's going to find his game and evolve and hopefully be a really good Duck for a long time.

So here's the thing. Every team's fans think their team gets the bad end of the reffing stick. But fortunately, we have math. For the past decade or more, the ducks have, by a wide margin, had more penalties called on them then for them. Every single year - by a wide margin.

And this was during a period when the Ducks were one of the dominant teams in the league - one might expect bad teams to draw fewer calls. Part of it was style of play, but the differential has been so consistent and significant, that something was going on. It very well have been that the refs hated Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, and a few others (who tended to be emotional and arguably whiny). But whatever the reason, the numbers don't lie.

I can't find historical date for Boston. But I did find this helpful link for this year:

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/team-...CELLANEOUS&group=1&time=0&pos=0&team=1&page=1

What does it show? It shows that once again, the ducks have the biggest penalty differential in the league (114 more penalties minutes called against then drawn). That is almost twice the differential of the next worst team (Rangers). In stark contrast, Boston actually has more penalties minutes drawn then called (6th best in the league). And Marchant leads the league in penalties drawn. I'm sure boston has bad calls that work against them (including last year's SC), but on the whole, the numbers make it pretty clear they are not targeted and in fact come out ahead (at least this year).

And less scientifically, its clear Chara gets away with a ton - including cross checking a guy in the face right in front of the referee and not getting called for a penalty 10 days ago (and then being fined, but not suspended).

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
you guy's have an underrated gem in Heinen,

Pay attention to how many stick battles/board battles he wins. Sure he doesn't get involved physically but he always seems to be in the right place to anticipate the play. (high defensive IQ)
He's very Bergeron'esque in that regard.
Lethal shot when he uses it
Just needs to work on his skating although it's not horrible just not great.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Heinen got the second most ice time? Could have fooled me.

Among forwards. Huh... I thought I typed that. It must be been in another thread. And yes, it fooled you.

fooled-you.jpg

And don't be fooled again b/c he had the most TOI for forwards against the Pens.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
So here's the thing. Every team's fans think their team gets the bad end of the reffing stick. But fortunately, we have math. For the past decade or more, the ducks have, by a wide margin, had more penalties called on them then for them. Every single year - by a wide margin.

And this was during a period when the Ducks were one of the dominant teams in the league - one might expect bad teams to draw fewer calls. Part of it was style of play, but the differential has been so consistent and significant, that something was going on. It very well have been that the refs hated Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, and a few others (who tended to be emotional and arguably whiny). But whatever the reason, the numbers don't lie.

I can't find historical date for Boston. But I did find this helpful link for this year:

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/team-...CELLANEOUS&group=1&time=0&pos=0&team=1&page=1

What does it show? It shows that once again, the ducks have the biggest penalty differential in the league (114 more penalties minutes called against then drawn). That is almost twice the differential of the next worst team (Rangers). In stark contrast, Boston actually has more penalties minutes drawn then called (6th best in the league). And Marchant leads the league in penalties drawn. I'm sure boston has bad calls that work against them (including last year's SC), but on the whole, the numbers make it pretty clear they are not targeted and in fact come out ahead (at least this year).

And less scientifically, its clear Chara gets away with a ton - including cross checking a guy in the face right in front of the referee and not getting called for a penalty 10 days ago (and then being fined, but not suspended).

Yea I completely agree. Most fans think their team is "targeted" by the refs. But it all generally evens out in the end.

Except for the Ducks.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He wins a lot of puck battles

Fairwinds

Mar 10, 2019

For what it’s worth I know someone pretty high up in the organization and he said that Ritchie had locker room issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad