Confirmed with Link: [ANA/BOS] Danton Heinen for Nick Ritchie

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I like Heinen but I don’t like this move. Seems like Ritchie was moved because Murray doesn’t like the guy more than anything.

Ritchie has his faults with the penalties taken but he’s our best possession player, is physical, has played at a 0.5ppg pace the last two seasons and when he’s actually used there is a great net front presence on the PP. Oh and his cap hit is barely over 1.4M. This is not getting fair value for him.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Oh look, we got softer again. Great job, Bob! Let's hope Heinen was just buried behind Boston's talent. And Comtois needs to pan out now, we desperately need some size and grit.

Reactions: McDonald19

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
Ritchie hasn't done jack shit this year. He hasn't been very physical. Doesn't even fight, doesn't deter anyone. Takes stupid ass penalties every game. 90% of this board wanted him traded last season. Now that he's gone, it's the end of the world? Hahaha

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
heinen isn't as physical as ritchie but he's far better defensively

this is not a downgrade whatsoever

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I like Heinen but I don’t like this move. Seems like Ritchie was moved because Murray doesn’t like the guy more than anything.

Ritchie has his faults with the penalties taken but he’s our best possession player, is physical, has played at a 0.5ppg pace the last two seasons and when he’s actually used there is a great net front presence on the PP. Oh and his cap hit is barely over 1.4M. This is not getting fair value for him.
It's pretty fair value. Heinen is better defensively, has outproduced Ritchie, and doesn't take penalties. Ritchie takes more minor penalties than anyone else in the league.

It's a bummer because we were starting to see some good progress from Ritchie, but we have seen those glimpses before as well. These are just two completely different guys stylistically, but they seem pretty even in league standing.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
This trade is a win. Ritchie has peaked. He is what he is. So we got a better player out of it.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
It's not the exchange of Ritchie for Heinen that's so much an issue for me, even though I'd take Ritchie between the two, it's the premise of the trade along with trading Kase and other guys in that age range while we are trying to rebuild a new younger core. If it doesn't improve the team now, or offer some solid futures to improve the team later, then what are we doing exactly?

Reactions: McDonald19

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It's not the exchange of Ritchie for Heinen that's so much an issue for me, even though I'd take Ritchie between the two, it's the premise of the trade along with trading Kase and other guys in that age range while we are trying to rebuild a new younger core. If it doesn't improve the team now, or offer some solid futures to improve the team later, then what are we doing exactly?
Well I think context is needed for both. For Kase it was the health stuff. Everyone loves him, but he can't stay on the ice. With Ritchie there have been rumblings of behind the scenes sandpaper between him and Murray. Injury and consistency stuff as well as the contract holdout.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Shuffling the deck, apparently.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It's pretty fair value. Heinen is better defensively, has outproduced Ritchie, and doesn't take penalties. Ritchie takes more minor penalties than anyone else in the league.

It's a bummer because we were starting to see some good progress from Ritchie, but we have seen those glimpses before as well. These are just two completely different guys stylistically, but they seem pretty even in league standing.

I keep seeing that Heinen has outproduced Ritchie or is better offensively. That’s not been the case since 2017-18.

last season:
Ritchie 31 points in 60 games (42 point pace)
Heinen 34 points in 77 games (36 point pace)

this season:
Ritchie 19 points in 41 games (38 point pace)
Heinen 22 points in 58 games (31 point pace).

Ritchie is the better offensive player. No disputes Heinen is better defensively but it’s not by as much as people think.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I keep seeing that Heinen has outproduced Ritchie or is better offensively. That’s not been the case since 2017-18.

last season:

this season:

Ritchie is the better offensive player. No disputes Heinen is better defensively but it’s not by as much as people think.
Heinen is much better defensively than Ritchie than Ritchie is better offensively than heinen, and that feels generous to even say ritchie is better.

Nick is way more physical, I don't think heinen even has any of that in his game, but he also doesn't take any penalties. I fail to see how it is not fair value.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota

last season:

this season:

Ability to stay in the lineup and healthy is part of your offensive (and defensive) ability.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

Ritchie, like Montour, was a contract problem. That's strike 1 (a big one for BM). He's also developed slowly and been inconsistent - strike 2. I also think Ritchie is one of the players who BM felt was not playing through injuries, strike 3. This is not surprising - I have no idea what the market was for him. None of us know much about Heinen, but he seems like an under the radar player that Boston and its fans valued. So we'll see.

It seems pretty clear that BM didn't view Kase and Ritchie part of the core going forward. I don't mind get a mix of future (Kase deal) and a solid current NHL player.

Reactions: Bergey37

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
This is a great read. Thank you!

Maybe I have to rethink this trade. Lots of praise there for Heinen.
There is, and I think it's largely deserved. I'm a Bruins fan too, and I always thought highly of him, though it seemed he couldn't quite find his fit there. I think we'll be glad he's a Duck.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
The kid isn't a bad player by any stretch and shows flashes of offensive ability but has become increasingly vanilla. I don't know, could never really tell, if it's as much as him as a player or became more about the situation. Meaning The Bruins demand a particular style and some kids thrive with that pressure while we've seen a lot of others not buy-in or become hesitant and simplify their game too much as they worry about making any mistakes.

I think he could be the latter and develop into a really good player for you guys if he's not under a Stanley Cup Or Bust spotlight for a season. Their is offensive upside for sure.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Bruins fans like the deal, but I think a lot of them most his penalties are ones where he is protecting teammates. Don't think they realize most are dumbass ones like hooking a guy in the offensive zone.

Reactions: d0rkwing

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Bruins fans like the deal, but I think a lot of them most his penalties are ones where he is protecting teammates. Don't think they realize most are dumbass ones like hooking a guy in the offensive zone.
A majority of his "bad penalties" are from clean hard hits something nobody on this team either than 4th liner Deslauriers does
Enjoy a worse team with less hitting and scoring
Bruins fans should like this deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad