Proposal: An off-the-wall solution to our need for a RHD

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think there's just too much risk with Weber, even at a lower caphit. He's coming off an injury plagued season, and the year before that he put up his lowest point totals (for a full season) since 2008. At 33 next season, we just really don't know what we'd be getting out of him. He has 5 more seasons that he's almost for sure going to play due to the salary level, and then three seasons after that at 1M which he may or may not play. Too risky.

If he had 2-3 years left on his deal, he'd be worth looking into.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
..and was on pace for 50 points last year... he's not playing those last three years, likely not playing the last four.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I am confuse about his contract, how come Nashville is on the hook if he retires? And what is his caphit.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We have Rielly, Dermott, Borgman, Hainsey as LHD.
De Haan is a possibility in the summer and perhaps Nashville promotes a Fabbro and looks to deal Ellis (RHD).
I'd start there long before Weber.

Reactions: ToneDog

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
We have Rielly, Dermott, Borgman, Hainsey as LHD.
De Haan is a possibility in the summer and perhaps Nashville promotes a Fabbro and looks to deal Ellis (RHD).
I'd start there long before Weber.
DeHaan shoots left... is he usually a RHD?

We should have grabbed Colin miller last season. All the stats suggested he was under utilized on the bruins and he proved it in Vegas this year. We also missed out on Vatanen. I think Dubas should be able to find guys like this who could be effective in larger roles rather than going for has-been solutions that destroy our cap. That can buy us time till Liljigren is ready or the UFA class of 2019. It’s Going to be tough to get creative with all the cap space this season.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Also, wouldn’t it be awesome if Liljigren has a big summer and kills it at camp next year?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
DeHaan shoots left... is he usually a RHD?

We should have grabbed Colin miller last season. All the stats suggested he was under utilized on the bruins and he proved it in Vegas this year. We also missed out on Vatanen. I think Dubas should be able to find guys like this who could be effective in larger roles rather than going for has-been solutions that destroy our cap. That can buy us time till Liljigren is ready or the UFA class of 2019. It’s Going to be tough to get creative with all the cap space this season.
You're right, De Haan is left.
Still, if we can't find a RHD for trade, I'd look into De Haan as a UFA. We need upgrading despite LH/RH.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I just don't see it happening. Montreal is not going to give him away after the Subban trade fallout, and I wouldn't part with any meaningful assets unless they retained a significant portion of his salary.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I am confuse about his contract, how come Nashville is on the hook if he retires? And what is his caphit.

His Cap Hit is $7.8 million per year.

The CBA instituted a cap recapture penalty as a way of penalizing those who, in their view, openly circumvented the salary cap by adding on years with such a low salary that it couldn’t reasonably be expected that the player would actually play out the full contract. In Weber’s case, he makes $106MM of the salary in the first 10 years of his contract and just a total of $4MM in the final four years combined.

Simply put, the salary cap recapture calculation looks at the sum of the salary paid to the player compared to the cap hit they were charged over the same time period. Any cap savings over that time become eligible for recapture.

In Nashville’s case, they paid $56MM in salary while accruing a total cap charge of $31,428,572. The difference – $24,571,428 – becomes eligible for recapture.

Should Weber retire at any point prior to the conclusion of his contract in 2025-26, the Predators would be subsequently be imposed a cap recapture penalty equivalent to that amount divided by the number of years remaining on the contract. If Weber were to retire with just 1 season left on his deal, they would have to take the entire $24+MM penalty in 2025-26. If he were to retire with, say, four years remaining though, that total would be divided by 4, resulting in a cap recapture penalty of $6,142,857 in each of those years up until the conclusion of 2025-26.

Suffice it to say, GM David Poile is taking on a big potential risk down the road if Weber does indeed decide to retire before his contract expires. Had Weber stayed with the Preds longer, eventually the difference between salary and cap charge would have shrunk, lowering their potential exposure to recapture. But clearly Poile feels the reward is worth it to add Subban to an already dynamic group of defensemen in Nashville.

Examining Salary Cap Recapture In The Shea Weber Trade

Reactions: Gabriel426

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I really think the defensive ability of our forward group is a bigger issue than the defensive ability of our defensemen. When they fail to get the puck out of the zone, it's really easy to blame the defensemen but they have nobody to pass to and thus eventually succumb to pressure. It's not the only issue going on but I really do believe that the forward group as a whole is very much below-average defensively and need to be much better.

We don't need Shea Weber or Drew Doughty. We can easily fill in our defense internally without giving up major assets or taking on horrible contracts.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
His Cap Hit is $7.8 million per year.

The CBA instituted a cap recapture penalty as a way of penalizing those who, in their view, openly circumvented the salary cap by adding on years with such a low salary that it couldn’t reasonably be expected that the player would actually play out the full contract. In Weber’s case, he makes $106MM of the salary in the first 10 years of his contract and just a total of $4MM in the final four years combined.

Simply put, the salary cap recapture calculation looks at the sum of the salary paid to the player compared to the cap hit they were charged over the same time period. Any cap savings over that time become eligible for recapture.

In Nashville’s case, they paid $56MM in salary while accruing a total cap charge of $31,428,572. The difference – $24,571,428 – becomes eligible for recapture.

Should Weber retire at any point prior to the conclusion of his contract in 2025-26, the Predators would be subsequently be imposed a cap recapture penalty equivalent to that amount divided by the number of years remaining on the contract. If Weber were to retire with just 1 season left on his deal, they would have to take the entire $24+MM penalty in 2025-26. If he were to retire with, say, four years remaining though, that total would be divided by 4, resulting in a cap recapture penalty of $6,142,857 in each of those years up until the conclusion of 2025-26.

Suffice it to say, GM David Poile is taking on a big potential risk down the road if Weber does indeed decide to retire before his contract expires. Had Weber stayed with the Preds longer, eventually the difference between salary and cap charge would have shrunk, lowering their potential exposure to recapture. But clearly Poile feels the reward is worth it to add Subban to an already dynamic group of defensemen in Nashville.

Examining Salary Cap Recapture In The Shea Weber Trade

So if I'm understanding this correctly (big assumption), it's possible in theory for NSH to have a cap hit of 24M for Weber in 1 season which would basically force them to dismantle their to fit under the cap.

Is this correct? If so then holy smokes!

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So if I'm understanding this correctly (big assumption), it's possible in theory for NSH to have a cap hit of 24M for Weber in 1 season which would basically force them to dismantle their to fit under the cap.

Is this correct? If so then holy smokes!

That is correct. Depends on when he retires.... Like I've said previously.... they would trade some rather substantial assets to acquire him back, and attempt to LTIR him instead of such cap hits.

The earlier he retires, the better off they are... sort of... I mean, a $6.2 million cap hit, for four years, for a guy not on your roster, and not playing isn't exactly great either.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
OK Guys, its a little mad, but hear me out;

All through this season and into the playoffs (where it has been emphasized even more imo) we have lacked both toughness and leadership from our defense group. I know there is an argument Mo has stepped up, that Hainsey and Polak give a good veteran presence etc but personally i think its not enough/not the qualities we are truly lacking.

We need that physical, dominant presence on the back end, the type of player who isn't just good in the room, but is also a big presence on the ice and play a big role.

look at the teams left playing- They all have great D cores, but they also have that one guy- Hedman, Chara, Letang, Carlson, Buff, Subban, Burns, Schmidt (maybe a stretch- not too familiar with Vegas); We lack that guy and i dont think Reilly will every be that guy.

So.... What about Shea Weber? with say 1.5-2m retained?
I missed the point.

Which team is Weber leading in the playoffs?

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
Big No ! We've had enough of these bs anchor contracts. I'd rather take a free Euro signing every year and raise our prospects than Weber. Nothing against The man but not what we need with that contract and age

Reactions: Mork

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not sure about Weber but a Drew Doughty type is an absolute must for this team to go forward.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
There should be absolutely no one that wants Shea Weber here. The guy is slow, old and an absolutely terrible shot suppressor. The only thing he would provide for us is veteran leadership from a formerly great player and a legitimate bomb from the point.
I would like to see a Leafs movie where the young Billy-Beane-type GM says to the grumpy, grizzled coach, "Mike, you can't play Shea Weber because I just traded him!"

Ditto for Roman Polak, Ron Hainsey and maybe even Patrick Marleau. I still like Marleau too much for that, though!

Reactions: Maplebeasts

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Not sure about Weber but a Drew Doughty type is an absolute must for this team to go forward.
I'm more than willing to bet whoever wins the cup this year will not have a Drew Doughty type.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't think either of those teams are winning the cup this year.

Maybe. We will see. I agree a doughty isn’t necessary. Pittsburgh proved that. But i mean at the end of it. If we can get doughty you do it.

The one thing I like about this year is that it has put most of the hf truisms on their head.

Draft and tank! Well look at Edmonton, buffalo and vegas

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Maybe. We will see. I agree a doughty isn’t necessary. Pittsburgh proved that. But i mean at the end of it. If we can get doughty you do it.

The one thing I like about this year is that it has put most of the hf truisms on their head.

Draft and tank! Well look at Edmonton, buffalo and vegas
It needs to be at the right price. If it's not, you do more harm than good. People get way too caught up in their ideas of team composition that they lose sight of the entire picture.

Bargain contracts are the absolute most important asset to successful teams. The main goal this offseason should be getting the big 3 on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad