Proposal: An off-the-wall solution to our need for a RHD

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
OK Guys, its a little mad, but hear me out;

All through this season and into the playoffs (where it has been emphasized even more imo) we have lacked both toughness and leadership from our defense group. I know there is an argument Mo has stepped up, that Hainsey and Polak give a good veteran presence etc but personally i think its not enough/not the qualities we are truly lacking.

We need that physical, dominant presence on the back end, the type of player who isn't just good in the room, but is also a big presence on the ice and play a big role.

look at the teams left playing- They all have great D cores, but they also have that one guy- Hedman, Chara, Letang, Carlson, Buff, Subban, Burns, Schmidt (maybe a stretch- not too familiar with Vegas); We lack that guy and i dont think Reilly will every be that guy.

So.... What about Shea Weber? with say 1.5-2m retained?
I wish I could get a better feeling on Weber's injuries, but I just think we would be doing the Habs a big favour here. You want to strengthen your team, but you also have to make sure that your competition is weaker.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016

All through this season and into the playoffs (where it has been emphasized even more imo) we have lacked both toughness and leadership from our defense group. I know there is an argument Mo has stepped up, that Hainsey and Polak give a good veteran presence etc but personally i think its not enough/not the qualities we are truly lacking.

We need that physical, dominant presence on the back end, the type of player who isn't just good in the room, but is also a big presence on the ice and play a big role.

look at the teams left playing- They all have great D cores, but they also have that one guy- Hedman, Chara, Letang, Carlson, Buff, Subban, Burns, Schmidt (maybe a stretch- not too familiar with Vegas); We lack that guy and i dont think Reilly will every be that guy.

You had me until Shea Weber. Not going near that pig of a contract.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Why can't Rielly be the guy? He turned 24 two months ago and just finished a season where he got 52 points in 76 games and played well in all situations. That's with Gardiner then Hainsey as the number #2-3 which is extremely underwhelming support then the forward group also sucks at supporting the D (either cause of youth or simply cause they're bad defensively like Bozak/JVR).

Look at where Carlsson, Byuf were at 24 and Rielly is ahead of them. Schmidt has had a great year but I'd argue is playing over his head.

If anything the problem is who Rielly is surrounded by. Not having him as your # 1.. Carlsson has Niskanen, Orlov and veteran forward who support them. Byuf has Trouba, Myers, Morrissey, Enstrom, etc. and also forwards who are better at supporting the D. Chara has Krug, McAvoy, Carlo and forwards who are probably the best in the league at supporting the D.

We definitely need a top 2-3 D who's top notch on the defensive side of the game but Rielly definitely can be a # 1. Shea Weber is a huge risk with his contract and age. Dermott or Zaitsev still might grow into being that guy for us.

Reactions: Mork

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I like Webber but Montreal has 20 mil locked up in 2 contracts , long term. As a division rival I want them to choke on those 2 cap killing contracts. I wouldn't trade with them just to make them struggle to ice a competitive team.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Why can't Rielly be the guy? He turned 24 two months ago and just finished a season where he got 52 points in 76 games and played well in all situations. That's with Gardiner then Hainsey as the number #2-3 which is extremely underwhelming support then the forward group also sucks at supporting the D (either cause of youth or simply cause they're bad defensively like Bozak/JVR).

Look at where Carlsson, Byuf were at 24 and Rielly is ahead of them. Schmidt has had a great year but I'd argue is playing over his head.

If anything the problem is who Rielly is surrounded by. Not having him as your # 1.. Carlsson has Niskanen, Orlov and veteran forward who support them. Byuf has Trouba, Myers, Morrissey, Enstrom, etc. and also forwards who are better at supporting the D. Chara has Krug, McAvoy, Carlo and forwards who are probably the best in the league at supporting the D.

We definitely need a top 2-3 D who's top notch on the defensive side of the game but Rielly definitely can be a # 1. Shea Weber is a huge risk with his contract and age. Dermott or Zaitsev still might grow into being that guy for us.

Our D just isn't set up with what you think of a real #1 D. Gardiner was once again more effective than Reilly in the regular season and got heavier usage. However both guys produced points at a high rate.

What we don't have is that guy who can be trusted to shut down the other teams best line. Neither Reilly or Gardiner appears to be capable of that.

Weber as a solution seems like a disaster to me. He's going to be out of the league in short order unless he reinvents his game completely.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
His Cap Hit is $7.8 million per year.

The CBA instituted a cap recapture penalty as a way of penalizing those who, in their view, openly circumvented the salary cap by adding on years with such a low salary that it couldn’t reasonably be expected that the player would actually play out the full contract. In Weber’s case, he makes $106MM of the salary in the first 10 years of his contract and just a total of $4MM in the final four years combined.

Simply put, the salary cap recapture calculation looks at the sum of the salary paid to the player compared to the cap hit they were charged over the same time period. Any cap savings over that time become eligible for recapture.

In Nashville’s case, they paid $56MM in salary while accruing a total cap charge of $31,428,572. The difference – $24,571,428 – becomes eligible for recapture.

Should Weber retire at any point prior to the conclusion of his contract in 2025-26, the Predators would be subsequently be imposed a cap recapture penalty equivalent to that amount divided by the number of years remaining on the contract. If Weber were to retire with just 1 season left on his deal, they would have to take the entire $24+MM penalty in 2025-26. If he were to retire with, say, four years remaining though, that total would be divided by 4, resulting in a cap recapture penalty of $6,142,857 in each of those years up until the conclusion of 2025-26.

Suffice it to say, GM David Poile is taking on a big potential risk down the road if Weber does indeed decide to retire before his contract expires. Had Weber stayed with the Preds longer, eventually the difference between salary and cap charge would have shrunk, lowering their potential exposure to recapture. But clearly Poile feels the reward is worth it to add Subban to an already dynamic group of defensemen in Nashville.

Examining Salary Cap Recapture In The Shea Weber Trade

What if he goes LTIR?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What if he goes LTIR?

If he goes to LTIR, then the can go over the cap, by his cap hit. They would be fine with that. That's why I think they'd trade for him, and find a way to LTIR him, rather than have him retire elsewhere. (Nashville)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
An aging, overpaid, d-man who just missed 75% of the season with a foot injury.

Me thinks “solution” is the wrong word

Reactions: Al14

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't even think Weber is available, I mean what can the Leafs afford to beat other teams for Weber.

I doubt it will be a 1st rounder, none of the roster players, it will be a whole bunch of unproven guys like Carrick, Leivo, Bracco or Nielsen, any teams can come up with that.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'd rather target Justin Faulk.

35-40 point guy, nice cap hit, 2 more years, only 26 years old.

I think it would cost us Kapanen and our 1st rounder, and probably another prospect, but I think it's worth it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't even think Weber is available, I mean what can the Leafs afford to beat other teams for Weber.

I doubt it will be a 1st rounder, none of the roster players, it will be a whole bunch of unproven guys like Carrick, Leivo, Bracco or Nielsen, any teams can come up with that.

Weber’s value likely isn’t all that high due to his contract.

I have a hard time seeing the Habs moving him at all without retention too.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Rielly is far superior to Shea Weber and far cheaper.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I am pretty sure he was on pace for a career season and that's playing with a broken foot for 26 games. Probably wouldn't have kept up his pace but he's been really good for a long time.

Why do people make stuff up? He's really good.
Weber is not in the top 50 best D man right now. He can not skate and the game is a speed game. He never was a great skater but he has lost more than a step.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
That's true, I'm sure they don't want to trade Weber for nothing after trading Subban for him. They have to make it look like they're getting a really good return cause you're always going to compare Subban to that return.
They'd for sure be fired if they sold low on Weber right?
I think Ownership would be over the moon if they could rid themselves of his contract...it is horrible and he is not a great D man anymore. Very poor trade on Montreal management.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
If we could get Gallagher in the deal, we could potentially make it worth our while. I wouldn't be getting Weber with the expectation that he would be a Norris contender. I would be interested because he adds an element to the Leafs D that it doesn't have. Paired with Rielly, I don't think skating would be a concern, and he gives our PP the big shot it lacks as well.

DontPanik

Jul 3, 2015
Martin, Slovakia
If we could get Gallagher in the deal, we could potentially make it worth our while. I wouldn't be getting Weber with the expectation that he would be a Norris contender. I would be interested because he adds an element to the Leafs D that it doesn't have. Paired with Rielly, I don't think skating would be a concern, and he gives our PP the big shot it lacks as well.
Nylander for Gallagher seems fair, but then what are we giving up for Weber? Montreal aren’t going to take Gardiner for him, and they definitely wouldn’t want draft picks due to the fact that it would be a late pick and they’re trying to win more sooner than later. So I’m not sure how we would put together a fair deal involving these two.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Nylander for Gallagher seems fair, but then what are we giving up for Weber? Montreal aren’t going to take Gardiner for him, and they definitely wouldn’t want draft picks due to the fact that it would be a late pick and they’re trying to win more sooner than later. So I’m not sure how we would put together a fair deal involving these two.

The Habs are going nowhere fast in a sinking canoe. We would be doing them a favour by taking Weber's contract at this point. It could be beneficial for both teams, but they have to make it worth our while, so to speak.

DontPanik

Jul 3, 2015
Martin, Slovakia
The Habs are going nowhere fast in a sinking canoe. We would be doing them a favour by taking Weber's contract at this point. It could be beneficial for both teams, but they have to make it worth our while, so to speak.
I just don’t see why you would think Montreal would want to trade away their only good D-Man. In fact, what makes you think they would even want a Gutless Player like Nylander to lead their team. He just chokes like a dog when it matters the most, similar to Price. Not good!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad