Proposal: An off-the-wall solution to our need for a RHD

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
OK Guys, its a little mad, but hear me out;

All through this season and into the playoffs (where it has been emphasized even more imo) we have lacked both toughness and leadership from our defense group. I know there is an argument Mo has stepped up, that Hainsey and Polak give a good veteran presence etc but personally i think its not enough/not the qualities we are truly lacking.

We need that physical, dominant presence on the back end, the type of player who isn't just good in the room, but is also a big presence on the ice and play a big role.

look at the teams left playing- They all have great D cores, but they also have that one guy- Hedman, Chara, Letang, Carlson, Buff, Subban, Burns, Schmidt (maybe a stretch- not too familiar with Vegas); We lack that guy and i dont think Reilly will every be that guy.

So.... What about Shea Weber? with say 1.5-2m retained?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think zeke had a couple good ideas and points which were for picking up Weber.

That contract is still super scary to pick up with everyone needing to sign and we'd be locked into Weber's contract for 8 years? If he came cheap and they retained a bunch then I'd feel a lot better about it. I know he was injured for most of this year which is another red flag but he put up good numbers in the small sample size. He's still capable of being a high quality D. It's just a huge gamble.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Really depends on the cost.

If he came in at under $6M/year, I'd be interested, but would be wary about giving up too much in the way of assets.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
As a Weber fan I question if he can skate with this group?
I agree. In addition to that my main concerns would be:

1. Salary. Will money be retained to work it down to 6 million/year.
2. Return. Montreal is not giving him away. Weber cost them Subban which is already a touchy subject. In addition to that, it's the Leafs they are trading with. Retaining salary and dealing to a heated rival might increase the price to acquire for us. The team is desperate for centers. I can't see Nylander or Kadri not being the initial ask. What are you prepared to pay? Carrick and a 1st isn't going to cut it IMO.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1. Weber's cap hit is $7.8 million... for the player he's been, that is hardly a big cap hit, and we certainly aren't going to get a comparable for cheaper. Not only that, but Montreal is not going to want to retain on that, unless the price we pay, is substantially higher.

2. I still don't understand why people continue to go on about Weber's eight year contract. Has anyone even looked at how it is structured? The last three years are at $1 million per, and the year before that $3 million. He most certainly will not be playing for $ 1 million, and likely not for $3 million. Your typical Cap circumvention contract, where he will likely retire early. So, we are likely looking at a FOUR year contract, not EIGHT. That isn't too bad. Now, having said he is "likely" to retire after four years, that would be a disaster for Nashville, as he'd count as a $6.2 million Cap hit for them, for four years after that. It is in their best interests, to trade for him, and put him on LTIR at that point, if you can find a way to do so. In either case, he's about a four year player for us...

3. His skating wasn't great, but then, neither have guys like Chara, but they are smart, know the angles and can play the game well. The only question in my mind will be, did the broken foot further slow him down. As far as skating with this group, I don't think it's critical that every D man, be able to keep up on the rush.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I agree. In addition to that my main concerns would be:

1. Salary. Will money be retained to work it down to 6 million/year.
2. Return. Montreal is not giving him away. Weber cost them Subban which is already a touchy subject. In addition to that, it's the Leafs they are trading with. Retaining salary and dealing to a heated rival might increase the price to acquire for us. The team is desperate for centers. I can't see Nylander or Kadri not being the initial ask. What are you prepared to pay? Carrick and a 1st isn't going to cut it IMO.
Agreed the cost could be prohibitive but berge has made some horrible decisions lately. Maybe he think Gauthier would be the perfect centre for Drouin? :sarcasm:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Agreed the cost could be prohibitive but berge has made some horrible decisions lately. Maybe he think Gauthier would be the perfect centre for Drouin? :sarcasm:
By all means, Gauthier and the rights to Plekanec before July 1st has my vote.

Reactions: saltming

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I would do it if there was a way to not give up one of the big 3, dermott and Lilly. Which isn’t likely.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I think our best bet for for another solid D is either by drafting and developing or targetting a young solid player on a team that has a glut of dmen like the flames. We won't get an experienced battle tested guy for cheap so I think that's our best cheap option.

Reactions: Cams

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
1. Weber's cap hit is $7.8 million... for the player he's been, that is hardly a big cap hit, and we certainly aren't going to get a comparable for cheaper. Not only that, but Montreal is not going to want to retain on that, unless the price we pay, is substantially higher.

2. I still don't understand why people continue to go on about Weber's eight year contract. Has anyone even looked at how it is structured? The last three years are at $1 million per, and the year before that $3 million. He most certainly will not be playing for $ 1 million, and likely not for $3 million. Your typical Cap circumvention contract, where he will likely retire early. So, we are likely looking at a FOUR year contract, not EIGHT. That isn't too bad. Now, having said he is "likely" to retire after four years, that would be a disaster for Nashville, as he'd count as a $6.2 million Cap hit for them, for four years after that. It is in their best interests, to trade for him, and put him on LTIR at that point, if you can find a way to do so. In either case, he's about a four year player for us...

3. His skating wasn't great, but then, neither have guys like Chara, but they are smart, know the angles and can play the game well. The only question in my mind will be, did the broken foot further slow him down. As far as skating with this group, I don't think it's critical that every D man, be able to keep up on the rush.

My thoughts exactly, number 1 is definitely something people need to remember- as the cap goes up, so do the salaries, Carlson will go for ALOT this offseason if he makes it to FA, we all know what Doughty and Karlson are asking for.
Personally if im dealing for Weber, ill add a 2nd for the Habs to retain 1m+. His contract term will always scare people.... but again ill pay another 2nd 4/5 years down the line to dump it on Arizona.

And i love point 3, a lot of posters on this board don't value things like that... there isnt an advanced stat for it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Babcock would probably cry of joy if the Leafs were able to acquire Weber.

It's a tricky player to acquire. From a rival team in our division and the GM that acquired him has an ego, so trading him for anything less than an overpayment for the price he paid to acquire him is not going to happen. His contract isn't really that great due to the term either. If Bergevin was fired, maybe there would have been a way to make it work but I just don't see it.

So I'm not sure.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I have serious concerns about Shea Weber's ability to keep up with play. That concern doesn't go away, whether you are paying Weber $7 million, or $4 million. The term on that deal, for a player who is slowing down in a league that is getting progressively faster, makes this a big no-no.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

It's a tricky player to acquire. From a rival team in our division and the GM that acquired him has an ego to stroke, so trading him for anything less than an overpayment for the price he paid to acquire him is not going to happen. His contract isn't really that great due to the term either.

So I'm not sure.
That's true, I'm sure they don't want to trade Weber for nothing after trading Subban for him. They have to make it look like they're getting a really good return cause you're always going to compare Subban to that return.
They'd for sure be fired if they sold low on Weber right?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

It's a tricky player to acquire. From a rival team in our division and the GM that acquired him has an ego, so trading him for anything less than an overpayment for the price he paid to acquire him is not going to happen. His contract isn't really that great due to the term either. If Bergevin was fired, maybe there would have been a way to make it work but I just don't see it.

Possibly, yeah.

If I'm guessing / speculating though, I'd bet you could get Weber for a fairly balanced return because Montreal will want to be getting out from that contract

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have serious concerns about Shea Weber's ability to keep up with play. That concern doesn't go away, whether you are paying Weber $7 million, or $4 million. The term on that deal, for a player who is slowing down in a league that is getting progressively faster, makes this a big no-no.

He was fantastic before he was shut down. He played the whole season with a broken foot he suffered in the first game of the season.

Perhaps he regresses or slows down eventually but he hasn't shown any signs of that yet.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Weber is not what he used to be. He can hit and shoot. It ends there... no thanks.

I am pretty sure he was on pace for a career season and that's playing with a broken foot for 26 games. Probably wouldn't have kept up his pace but he's been really good for a long time.

Why do people make stuff up? He's really good.

Reactions: Raymoondo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad