American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
TSN is airing all the games or streaming them online. If that is the case, I bet it will end up somewhere less reputable for people in countries that aren't getting it.
Awesome, thanks. Gotta start studying up on some of the guys. Should be some good summer hockey.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who are our top players in 2020? Rolston, Kleven, Stranges, Peterson, Reid, Colangelo, Halliday, Smilanic? How should these players be ranked? Or is it too early to get a read on that?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think we will know a lot more a few months into this upcoming season? Just video clip watching, I sure like Ty Smilanic a lot. I know Stranges can do some amazingly flashy things and Peterson has a ridiculous physical package but Smilanic seems to have a great blend of skating, skill and frame. Really excited to see Kleven - just based on reports, he seems like a guy, who if he's the real deal, can be a monster on the blueline.

BTW whatever happened with Jason Siedem? IIRC, he was early on considered I think the cream of the '02 crop, or at least equal to Stranges and Co. His brother is on the USNTDP but he got passed on for the incoming crop, assuming he just didn't stand out enough in tryouts?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Who are our top players in 2020? Rolston, Kleven, Stranges, Peterson, Reid, Colangelo, Halliday, Smilanic? How should these players be ranked? Or is it too early to get a read on that?
Kleven seems like the big boy here, but we have seen kids like this before like Bode Wilde who are so physically developed early on but start to flatline a bit...as of now, my top 3 are Kleven, Stranges, and Smilanic...can't wait to get a better read on this group this season, compared to the last few birth years, not sure how this one stacks up as depth just doesn't seem there yet...too early to tell, I could be wrong but compared to 00 and 01 years, this group looks a notch below right now overall. plenty of time for this to change or stand out even more.

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
I think we will know a lot more a few months into this upcoming season? Just video clip watching, I sure like Ty Smilanic a lot. I know Stranges can do some amazingly flashy things and Peterson has a ridiculous physical package but Smilanic seems to have a great blend of skating, skill and frame. Really excited to see Kleven - just based on reports, he seems like a guy, who if he's the real deal, can be a monster on the blueline.

BTW whatever happened with Jason Siedem? IIRC, he was early on considered I think the cream of the '02 crop, or at least equal to Stranges and Co. His brother is on the USNTDP but he got passed on for the incoming crop, assuming he just didn't stand out enough in tryouts?

Actually Wyatt Schingoethe was considered the best of the 2002 crop two years ago. He did not make the U17 cut. Another few players that were highly touted just two years ago also showed up for the Second U-17 USA Select Team tryout and didnt make that team. The players have changed significantly over the last couple of years and they are likely to change some more in the next two!

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
The Team Canada U17 camp is underway in Calgary. You can watch the exhibition games between the 6 squads of prospects that are competing to make one of three teams that will compete in the Fall against the best international teams. One of the American kids (dual) that was not invited to the last tryout for the U17 USA team is at the Canada Camp. He is a big kid and I think reasonably well known in these forums. Halliday.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Who are some good U.S. high school players to track this upcoming season for the '19 draft?

Not positive all are returning to USHS next season, but from what I know/have seen:

John Farinacci
Sam Colangelo (2020)
Brendan Brisson (2020)
Cade Webber
Mike Koster
Jackson LaCombe
Jackson Jutting
Braden Doyle
Derek Mullahy
Robert Christy
Nate Warner
John Mittelstadt

Are at least worth keeping an tabs on. Prolly in that order or close to it.

Reactions: Habs76

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
FYI - regarding Stephen Halliday, he will play in the USHL next year for the Central Illinois Flying Aces.

Halliday set to play for Flying Aces in 2018-19 season

Again, he was the first pick in the USHL draft a few months ago. A dual-citizen, looks like he's leaning towards the NCAA route - for now....
I wonder if he wasnt invited to the NTDP tryout or if he wasnt eligible. If he wasnt invited that would be a huge blunder for a kid that seems to want to go the NCAA route

Reactions: Dux917

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
I wonder if he wasnt invited to the NTDP tryout or if he wasnt eligible. If he wasnt invited that would be a huge blunder for a kid that seems to want to go the NCAA route

I was thinking the same thing. At first, what I thought was he wasn't invited because at the time he was a heavy OHL lean. Maybe going #1 overall in the USHL draft and just time has changed his thinking. I know there are several top NCAA schools who have been after him for a while.

Still a lot of time for him to go back in forth on what he wants to do. Playing in the USHL next year, still leaves all his options open.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
who would be the last dual -USA/Can that played in the USHL and picked Canada over the US? I am just curious as most of these situations have been kids playing in the CHL, but for those that head to the USHL, I don't really recall anyone that was actively recruited by both countries picking Canada. Chychrun I guess would be something like that, though he headed OHL, I am talking about a USHL kid going the NCAA route that picked Canada over the US??? this whole thing just seems so odd or someone made a massive blunder either at USA Hockey or Halliday's reps...

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
who would be the last dual -USA/Can that played in the USHL and picked Canada over the US? I am just curious as most of these situations have been kids playing in the CHL, but for those that head to the USHL, I don't really recall anyone that was actively recruited by both countries picking Canada. Chychrun I guess would be something like that, though he headed OHL, I am talking about a USHL kid going the NCAA route that picked Canada over the US??? this whole thing just seems so odd or someone made a massive blunder either at USA Hockey or Halliday's reps...

Must be something we dont know as the USNDT still has one open spot for a forward with the exit of Stranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad